Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord
聽Share

The rover 216 I think was a British made engine(?) but the 214 had a superior Honda engine. 馃挱

Weren鈥檛 bad motors tbf聽

Changing the leaf springs on the Marina was fun.聽 Not.聽馃槃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Changing the leaf springs on the Marina was fun.聽 Not.聽馃槃

I can second that!

14 hours ago, Alex.S said:

The rover 216 I think was a British made engine(?) but the 214 had a superior Honda engine. 馃挱

Weren鈥檛 bad motors tbf聽

Other way round if we're talking about the early 90's version. The 214 had the Rover K series, the 216 had a single cam Honda engine (twin cam in the 216GTI).

They were pretty decent cars imo. Very nearly had one as a company vehicle but I wanted a diesel and the options on the Rover then were the Peugeot/Citroen XUD聽 in 1905cc n/a form or the earlier 1769cc turbo. I went for a Citroen ZX which had the (then new) 1905 turbo and was very pleased with it.

• Like 2

Yes.聽 For its time it was a very nice car.聽 It's a tragedy what happened to rover and mg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Don't knock Marinas, at least you could repair them easily and cheaply.....

I had two Marinas, and loved them, loads of room ( more front passenger leg room than any other car i've had)

18 hours ago, iantt said:

I'm your worst nightmare!!! 馃槀馃槀馃槀

1612737025986868051883.jpg

You are implying those exhausts are loud.聽Did you know聽loads of people dislike loud exhausts ? Now you do know do you feel a bit guilty or not ? And for motorcyclists who聽don't care (about having a deafening聽exhaust that upsets people and聽is illegal anyway)聽what does that say about them ?

17 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

You are implying those exhausts are loud.聽Did you know聽loads of people dislike loud exhausts ? Now you do know do you feel a bit guilty or not ? And for motorcyclists who聽don't care (about having a deafening聽exhaust that upsets people and聽is illegal anyway)聽what does that say about them ?

Lest anyone thinks I dislike motorbikes, I don't have anything against motorbikes, particularly as I'm an ex biker. They take up less road space, use less fuel, theoretically would emit less pollution (unless modified.....) and only very rarely kill (other) people. No, I like motorbikes, that's quiet motorbikes obviously. Noisy bikes, that's a completely different ball game, selfish gits.

17 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

No, I like motorbikes, that's quiet motorbikes obviously. Noisy bikes, that's a completely different ball game, selfish gits.

Lol, this thread is going way off the original topic!馃槂 I take your point, but for me a lot of the fun of bikes was the sound. To me, it's as much about the聽quality聽of the sound as the sheer volume. For example, some kids 50cc scooter with a ridiculous exhaust sounds awful, whereas my neighbours Aprilia V twin with slightly naughty cans sounds gorgeous.

• Like 1

It's all a part of the immersive experience...聽 Do you go to the cinema and ask them to turn the volume down and the lighting up? :biggrin:

It's all personal preference at the end of the day.聽 Personally I've always hated cinemas...wait, off topic again...聽 But seriously I like a loud exhaust, we have a few nice raspy, popping exhausts that pass here regularly.聽 What I can't stand is the high pitched noise of kids squealing and dogs yapping...聽 Can I suggest anyone in my neighborhood is a selfish git if they own squealy kids and yappy dogs?聽 Or do I just have to accept that we all have different preferences? :wink:

Of course, there are also some horrendous exhausts, usually fitted to 1.0 EcoBoosts nowadays, owned by people that specifically want to upset the grumpy old curtain twitchers... :tongue:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's all a part of the immersive experience...聽 Do you go to the cinema and ask them to turn the volume down and the lighting up? :biggrin:

It's all personal preference at the end of the day.聽 Personally I've always hated cinemas...wait, off topic again...聽 But seriously I like a loud exhaust, we have a few nice raspy, popping exhausts that pass here regularly.聽 What I can't stand is the high pitched noise of kids squealing and dogs yapping...聽 Can I suggest anyone in my neighborhood is a selfish git if they own squealy kids and yappy dogs?聽 Or do I just have to accept that we all have different preferences? :wink:

Of course, there are also some horrendous exhausts, usually fitted to 1.0 EcoBoosts nowadays, owned by people that specifically want to upset the grumpy old curtain twitchers... :tongue:

聽Off topic again , Some folk wouldn't do well if they lived in the usa with there V8 pickup trucks and Harley Davidson motorcycles( now there louad even with the original exhausts.聽

As for rover , the early rover 200 series had the Honda 1.3 engine in the 213 and the god awful 1.6 British s series聽 engine ( where they forgot or ran out of valve stem seals and valves coked up within short milages. Did lots of those head off jobs and wire wheel the crud off the valves.聽

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iantt said:

As for rover , the early rover 200 series had the Honda 1.3 engine in the 213 and the god awful 1.6 British s series聽 engine ( where they forgot or ran out of valve stem seals and valves coked up within short milages. Did lots of those head off jobs and wire wheel the crud off the valves.聽

Yeah, that was the first generation 200 (of 3) that followed the Triumph Acclaim. I seem to remember the S series also being used with a twin carb set up in the early MG Maestro complete with electric dash? Pretty rubbish as I recall, the later 2.0EFi was pretty good though.

12 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I was close! Re the rovers聽

Yes, it sounds as if you were meaning the first generation saloon (213/216) which came immediately after the Acclaim, rather than the second generation hatchback (214/216), so you were spot on for that first one, as Ian's experiences show!馃槂

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

. I seem to remember the S series also being used with a twin carb set up in the early MG Maestro complete with electric dash? Pretty rubbish as I recall, the later 2.0EFi was pretty good though.

Lol, I've confused myself there!馃槂 Thinking now that the very early MG Maestro 1600 was an R series (development of the Maxi engine?) and was quickly replaced when the S series came on stream. That also only lasted a short while in the MG before it got the 2.0.

Wow, this thread really has lost direction LOL 馃ぃ

spacer.png

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

spacer.png

I thought it was a spin the wheel type competition to guess the next fuel powered vehicles......

N = Nuclear聽

E = Electric

S= Solar聽

W= Water聽聽馃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Vaguely back on topic. I spotted a letter in the paper this morning, where the writer was suggesting that grants to buy electric cars were not a good idea. Apparently what we should do is restrict those nasty ICE cars to 60mph so that the drivers will be so annoyed at nice electric cars overtaking them at 70, they'll want to buy one. Hmmm..........!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Vaguely back on topic. I spotted a letter in the paper this morning, ...

I also spotted an article about the production of hydrogen buses here in Northern Ireland This is a fuel I could get behind as not only would it please the tree huggers, but you could refuel a car in moments just like a traditional petrol/diesel engine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

...they'll want to buy one. Hmmm..........!

I don't really care what fuel a car runs on.聽I wan't to buy a car that is no more expensive than the existing petrol/diesel cars, will do about 500 miles before it needs refueling and can be refueled completely in a few minutes at the equivalent of a fuel station.

I don't want to have to refuel it several times in a聽motorway service station when going on holiday. I don't want to have an electric cable trailing across the footpath to refuel it parked on the street. I don't want to pay more for the vehicle in the hope of making a saving on the future cost of refueling.

The only ones I can find at the moment that I want to buy happen to run on petrol.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I also spotted an article about the production of hydrogen buses here in Northern Ireland This is a fuel I could get behind as not only would it please the tree huggers, but you could refuel a car in moments just like a traditional petrol/diesel engine!

Lol this thread is getting so long it's hard to recall what's been said already!

Quite a lot of support for hydrogen it seems, but the point has been made (I think!) that it does need a lot of electricity to make it from current (sorry!)聽 production methods. Storing "surplus" energy in the form of hydrogen production when we have an excess of wind power could be a way round that.

I don't think there's聽 a "one size fits all" answer here and a mix of battery/hydrogen depending on application may be appropriate in the same way we use both petrol and diesel now.

33 minutes ago, pcaouolte said:

I don't really care what fuel a car runs on.聽I wan't to buy a car that is no more expensive than the existing petrol/diesel cars, will do about 500 miles before it needs refueling and can be refueled completely in a few minutes at the equivalent of a fuel station.

I don't want to have to refuel it several times in a聽motorway service station when going on holiday. I don't want to have an electric cable trailing across the footpath to refuel it parked on the street. I don't want to pay more for the vehicle in the hope of making a saving on the future cost of refueling.

The only ones I can find at the moment that I want to buy happen to run on petrol.

Pretty much my view. My immediate problem though is that I was hoping to have a last blast petrol car with a bit of oomph but can't get particularly excited about anything currently available!

Tesla are bringing a new EV out that will reportedly do 0-60 in 1.6 seconds.

You could argue this has no place on a public road, especially the narrow UK roads.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the holiday argument is a good one seeing as it's only once a year.聽 Chances are you have to stop for the loo or food anyway.聽 Rapid charging will give you an 80% battery in a reasonably short time.

I do think people will get used to plugging in though.聽 Can you imagine going back to the 70s and telling someone they could carry a phone with them everywhere...but that they'd have to charge it up every 2 or 3 days.聽 Sounds like a lot of hassle, but most of us do it without even thinking now.聽

51 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Tesla are bringing a new EV out that will reportedly do 0-60 in 1.6 seconds.

You could argue this has no place on a public road, especially the narrow UK roads.

Yeah, I saw that - 1100 bhp apparently. Totally ridiculous ...... but oddly appealing馃槂

50 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure the holiday argument is a good one seeing as it's only once a year.聽 Chances are you have to stop for the loo or food anyway.聽聽

Lol, you should try getting away with one holiday a year with my Mrs! I certainly agree on the "comfort breaks" though - when you get to a certain age......!

But we certainly don't want to be tied to motorway service areas with rip off pricing, so widest possible charger coverage is needed.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club