Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse camera on Mk 4 estate

south_bound

Just wondering if anyone has fitted an aftermarket reverse camera on a Mk 4 estate?  I have never felt the need for one before so didn't get one on this car but with the new Focus having quite small and tinted back window and the estate being quite long i think it would be a plus.  Thinking mainly of the mounting options, whether it is fitted to the boot handle area, number plate or directly to the bumper it is quite hard to visualise how it would look.  I haven't seen any Mk 4 specific options and it is quite hard generally to sieve through everything that is Mk 1/2/3 related and lots of US stuff that comes up which is no good to us in Europe.

Then there is getting up the courage to pull the trim apart on a new car without any guide - it seems the Mk 4 is too new to have a Haynes Manual or other guides on this.  Any feedback based on your experiences would be great.

I guess not then, you were all sensible and ordered cars with cameras from new.  I am thinking that I will drill a hole on the underside of the lip that houses the boot lid handle, but in the metal a bit to one side, as the handle itself is not very wide.  Then run the wires following the route that the number plate light wires take to get back to the roof liner then down to get power from the reverse light.  I will have to use a bespoke screen as it seems I can't connect into the Sync screen without reprogramming.

There's not much info out there on taking off trim on the Mk 4 so I will have to have a go using trial and error and being careful.

I think that's the issue, there's just not much info out there yet.  It might actually be worth you taking pics and documenting it, as you might be the first?

i've been trying to add a camera to the mk3.5 and it seems to be the same issue

far too many after market options but very few plug and play things, although the cameras are integrated into the boot handle and they are easy enough to get on the after market, the plug and play wiring loom is the bit that it all falls down on as you need to run new wires and strip everything apart to run the wires rather than plug into the plug in the boot that's there from the factory

There was a thread on this about mk4s. If it’s raining u need to wipe the camera before your journey , serious design flaw 

Yeah, I'll take pictures and report back when I get around to doing this. 

Alex, most of the cameras on sale say "waterproof" in the ad, but report different IP ratings, anything from IP64 (protection against water splashing) to IP68 (protection against long periods of water immersion).  Not sure if I believe everything in the ads but I guess an fogging up of the lens happens where the housing is not as water tight as it should be.  I agree that any water just collecting on the outside of the lens is a design flaw and it should just flow off, especially if it is pointing downwards.