Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of buying a Fiesta

sandhun

Hello, as per the title I am thinking of buying a Ford Fiesta (I currently drive a BMW) but it's a few years old). I will probably be purchasing online via a website called Cazoo (they seem to have decent reviews). 

I'm leaning towards a second hand 2016-2017 model as most of these are £0 road tax.

I am currently torn between the ST Line and the Titanium X trim. I think the ST Line models look considerably more desirable but my understanding is that the Titanium X is actually a better model (better sound system, part leather seats, heated front seats, rear parking camera). What would you guys pick between the ST LIne and Titanium X?

As owners of Fiestas are you generally happy with your choices or do you wish you hadn't bought a Ford?

Its a ford not a premium german model you get what you pay for. The road tax is £0 but the insurance is more swings and roundabouts. X'S are better spec if it were me i would go for the later model mrk7.5 prices will drop like a brick.

I could be wrong about this but maybe the best specced model by a less premium brand (e.g. Ford) is better than a basic model from a more premium brand (e.g. BMW) - a bit like a suite in a four star hotel is often better than a basic room in a five star hotel.

My budget for a second hand Fiesta is 10.5k so not sure I can afford the model you suggested.

10 minutes ago, sandhun said:

My budget for a second hand Fiesta is 10.5k so not sure I can afford the model you suggested.

You'd be able to get a 2016/17 late model Mk7.5 ST-Line for 10.5k. You could possibly even pick up an early Mk8 for that price (might have higher mileage though). 
My 2017 late mk7.5 St-Line 140 is valued at around 10.5k. 

I'm not sure what price the titanium specs of that age go for but the ST-Line range varies in price from about 9k upwards depending on engine size and mileage. 

Right, forgive my ignorance here but I'm not entirely sure what you guys mean by 'Mark 7.5 and 8' - assuming that means they're newer models?

This is what I was initially looking at. A 2016 Titanium X with zero road tax

https://www.cazoo.co.uk/used-car/733a1b0b-31b8-57e1-9d8c-458ff6b39374/

The model you posted from Autotrader certainly looks sportier although it perhaps lacks some of the comfort/luxurious features of the Titanium x? And newer models are typically subject to car tax.

mrk 8 are all £145 road tax but insurance group is less year of manufacture 2017 onwards. Headlights define change from front.

20 minutes ago, sandhun said:

Right, forgive my ignorance here but I'm not entirely sure what you guys mean by 'Mark 7.5 and 8' - assuming that means they're newer models?

This is what I was initially looking at. A 2016 Titanium X with zero road tax

https://www.cazoo.co.uk/used-car/733a1b0b-31b8-57e1-9d8c-458ff6b39374/

The model you posted from Autotrader certainly looks sportier although it perhaps lacks some of the comfort/luxurious features of the Titanium x? And newer models are typically subject to car tax.

link doesn't work

The link should work now.

So are you suggesting, instead of a high spec 2016 model I should consider newer ST Line versions because they might be equivalent (or better in some ways)

link still doesn't work - mrk 8 is nicer inside more modern.

43 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Not bad price. I'd certainly haggle the price down as I'd be wanting far better tyres than those cheap budget ones which I've never heard of.

However, it's a mk8 which is £150 to tax and is the same as most cars whatever the emissions are. The Mk8 came out at the same time the Gov revised the road tax system.

8 minutes ago, sandhun said:

The link should work now.

So are you suggesting, instead of a high spec 2016 model I should consider newer ST Line versions because they might be equivalent (or better in some ways)

Google mk8 fiesta and then mk7.5 fiesta. You'll find they look pretty different (especially the interior). The mk8 has a touch screen stereo and all that jazz compared to the mk7.

Personally I think 10.5k for the 'old' shape is rather expensive (unless its an ST). You can get some ST-lines with a few optional extras for well under 9k now.

If you can find a mk8 inside your budget then I'd say go for it. They will hold their value better than a mk7.

If you are getting a mk7.5, then a 2015 model is no different to an early 2017 model.

3 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Not bad price. I'd certainly haggle the price down as I'd be wanting far better tyres than those cheap budget ones which I've never heard of.

However, it's a mk8 which is £150 to tax and is the same as most cars whatever the emissions are. The Mk8 came out at the same time the Gov revised the road tax system.

unless car is over 40k new then addition premium of £325 for up to 5 years = £475 full electric vehicles still go free

5 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

unless car is over 40k new then addition premium of £325 for up to 5 years = £475 full electric vehicles still go free

I meant a lot cars you see on the road 17 plate or newer will be. I knew there was an extra premium for expensive cars. It's the 1st years tax which is emissions based and is variable.

One advantage of the ST-Line over Titanium on both Mk 7.5 and Mk 8 is that it can be had with the 140ps engine.

My purely personal view is that the Mk 7.5 is slightly more of a "fun" drive than the Mk 8, which is a bit more grown up.

The Mk 8 is a pretty refined small car even compared to the so-called "premium"brands. I looked at the new Audi A1 for instance and wasn't particularly convinced that it was any better quality-wise.

8 hours ago, Jim H said:

I meant a lot cars you see on the road 17 plate or newer will be. I knew there was an extra premium for expensive cars. It's the 1st years tax which is emissions based and is variable.

The 1st years tax cost only applies to the 1st owner from new. I bought a brand new pre-reg car & only paid the normal years road tax cost as I am the 2nd owner. 

I recently bought a 17 plate Titanium X auto with just over 4000 miles on the clock from a Ford dealer.   I'm delighted with it.   Had a Titanium before that but it was stolen.

9 hours ago, sandhun said:

OK thanks for the replies, I will Google the newer models

Here's what I was looking at ---> https://www.cazoo.co.uk/used-car/733a1b0b-31b8-57e1-9d8c-458ff6b39374/

The good thing about Cazoo is that you get a week to test drive and make sure you like the car.  I'm considering using them to buy a car now but they haven't had the model & spec I'm after so far.  If you do go for it, I'd be interested to know if the process is as smooth as it seems!

Regarding the Fiesta, it looks nice but these are getting a little dated now.  The new model (Mk8) has been out since 2017 and will receive a facelift soon itself.  £150 tax for a Fiesta is a shame, the new tax regs work better for people buying bigger engines (as I'm after!) but you would also get manufacturer warranty on a car that's under 3 years old.  The Mk8 is a considerably better car for not much more money and as others have said, will retain more value and desirability if you intend sell in future.  As for the difference between ST-Line and Titanium X, it comes down to whether you want looks and sports suspension, or more premium interior spec.  Would be the TX for me, though I find it a bit annoying that they fit larger wheels to the TX, reducing the ride comfort somewhat.

Higher mileage below budget from Cazoo:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010235339201?sort=price-desc&include-delivery-option=on&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=FIESTA&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Titanium X&radius=1500&make=FORD&postcode=s819dt&page=21

Mileage is less important than age if fully maintained. Plastics and rubbers deteriorate with age so no matter mileage parts will still fail at same age on less traveled cars. People think they get a deal with low mileage cars but you got to ask your self why when average is between 7.5 and 10 k a year. This is probably motorway mileage cruising so less wear and tear probably driver only in car too. If you were a low mileage driver average mileage would be better in a few years.

Low mileage cars left standing deteriorate from lack of use. Possibly have been in a bodyshop for 6 months being repaired.

The money you save would pay for road tax and insurance would be cheaper!

Still has at least 5 months ford warranty left on it too

I've owned my 2019 fiesta vignale 125 model, after being in the golden wheels club for 44 years, so this is the first car I have ever had to buy in my life.

I went for the Vignale because buying 2nd hand I knew most of the extras I wanted would already be standard.  Heated seats, reversing camera.  Would have really liked BLISS ( Side impact warning) but never mind.

I bought mine from Bristol St Motors who were mega helpful, and I was able to indulge in my favourite pastime of haggling which worked.

I see Bristol St are currently offering a full money back guarantee within I think 2 weeks.

I personally think you can't beat actually visiting a showroom to buy a car.

My road tax is £150, I believe it used to be zero  a few years ago 😞

I could not be happier with my Fiesta, I truly love it and would buy another.

I hear what you say about the ST, it looks well cool and sporty, and some of the fine guys n gals on here love them, but to an old ***** like me, the hard suspension of sporty cars and no heated seats would be a show stopper for me, and I don't want to drive to the shops attempting to beat lewis Hamiltons record 🙂

When you buy a used Fiesta, if you have one manufactured after April 2019 it will have a so called "sleepy key" this type goes to sleep after 40 seconds to stop the scroats from scanning your key then gaining access to your car.

this forum is full of help, I am so pleased I joined before I bought my Fiesta, there's some fine people here.

Good luck with your search.

Getting a bit miffed with mine (61 plate 1.4 petrol). Radio control on steering wheel doesn't work, a silly small radio button, dodgy mirror button and an unfindable rattle noise somewhere underneath!

16 hours ago, sandhun said:

That seems very expensive for a 4 year old car! There are many examples of the same age car with the same spec for about a grand less.

@Luke4efc I think it's expensive because it is 'best in class'. Has all the bells and whistles such as part leather heated seats.

But, I think you are right.

People on this forum have offered some valuable insights and on balance I will probably go for a newer model such as a late 2017 or early 2018, preferably a Titanium version.  It does mean I'll have to absorb the hit of road tax, but for a newer, more sophisticated car with a better interior, it will be worth it.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong buying a mrk 8 depreciation will be less severe.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club