Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Sign Recognition

GPB4

Just bought a new Focus 1.0 MHEV with speed sign recognition.  Speed signs are dimly displayed for about 1 minute then disappear until a new sign encountered, so intelligent speed limiter function is of little use.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you managed to get it fixed - I'm concerned my dealer will say it is supposed to work this way.  If not, do you have a Focus MHEV where it is working? 

I've had this feature on a Focus before and there was always a speed limit displayed, presumably using both GPS and signage whereas this model seems to ignore GPS. 

My Focus isn't an MHEV but it does have speed sign recognition.  If your mph is only showing for a minute then something's not right. 

I love this facility but it is NOT infallible! At least, not in the country over lockdown when overgrown hedges often obscure speed limit signs and in the winter when a bright low sun can defeat the car's camera as well as my poor old eyes.  I assume from this that the system does not rely in any way on GPS.  BUT ... through long or varying speed limits I have found it so useful to have a second opinion as to what the maximum speed limit is at any one time.

Because of my advanced years I wouldn't get this system to limit the speed of the car ... far better, I think, to stay alert and control the speed with one's reliable right foot.  I'm not a complete dinosaur ... I love my cruise control but on the open highway only.

Hope this helps ... have a go at your dealer!!

Have Traffic Sign Recognition in my Fiesta. Not sure if this is exactly the same as the Focus but it uses GPS and a camera. Had similar experiences to Gary occasionally when there is no GPS signal. Have the same issue as @Lindswith dirty and overgrown road signs and also it showing the wrong speed compared to road signs. I assume this is because of temporary limits from long term road works not being updated on GPS data.

It's a useful additional aid but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it to control the speed of the car!😀

1 hour ago, Linds said:

My Focus isn't an MHEV but it does have speed sign recognition.  If your mph is only showing for a minute then something's not right. 

I love this facility but it is NOT infallible! At least, not in the country over lockdown when overgrown hedges often obscure speed limit signs and in the winter when a bright low sun can defeat the car's camera as well as my poor old eyes.  I assume from this that the system does not rely in any way on GPS.  BUT ... through long or varying speed limits I have found it so useful to have a second opinion as to what the maximum speed limit is at any one time.

Because of my advanced years I wouldn't get this system to limit the speed of the car ... far better, I think, to stay alert and control the speed with one's reliable right foot.  I'm not a complete dinosaur ... I love my cruise control but on the open highway only.

Hope this helps ... have a go at your dealer!!

On Focus 4 it does use combination of camera and GPS  to determine speed limit  ( think about it when it detects a national limit sign how else can it distinguish between between 60mph on single carriageway and 70mph on dual carriageway or motorway,) Limit should be displayed constantly unless you are somewhere not covered eg a car park.The intelligent speed limiter on the Focus 4 is a great feature especially in urban areas although it can be fooled by poorly placed signs and inaccurate GPS map data but can be easily overridden. Its also due to be mandatory on new cars in 2022. 

It doesn't disregard speed signs on the back of lorries, coaches or caravans though [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club