Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning 1.25 16v Fiesta mk5/6

I found this thread from the ford fiesta page and thought I would put a post out there, to put my pennies worth in😆 It's always a good thing to have other people's opinions and pointers with tuning upgrades available. I did put a thread in mountune but then realised it isn't a mountune build as it isn't an ST, LOL, whoops, no wonder why I never got any replies.🥺

My car was left to us from a late family member. It has less than 50k on the clock and had been well serviced and driven sensibly throughout. I recently fully resprayed it with a blurple metallic colour which was supposed to be a ford C6,  ocean blue, colour but ended up being a completely different shade to original which is ok as it's rather good😊. There has been no end of people giving love to the colour. I bought 2 different coloured metallic flake that I intend to spray onto it when the weather has picked up in new year. I don't want to put a new engine in it as this engines in good nick, it was enhancement to what I have here  being the name of the game.😉

Seeing plenty of people saying that other 1.25 owners should just look into enhancing the way it looks rather than look to tune it, didn't put me off it just made them look a bit boring, maybe they just had no better advice to give.😜 I know this car will never be a BHP, dripping, beast waiting to devour the unwitting petrol head who got to close.😁 It can be is something new and different, being a fun car to drive with better performance and driveability.😃

Modifications made to this fiesta so far include: body styling, paint job, alloys, stance 30mm rear 45 mm front lowered suspension adjustable coil overs, uprated roll bar drop links, high flow induction kit, free flowing back box, MSD hyperpower blaster coil, magnacor kv85 HT leads, NGK iridium spark plugs(which need better gaps)🤞, wheel spacers, twin headlight with angel eyes(look awesome)😍, front led fog lights spray tinted(had none to begin with)😎, LED Bulbs all around, smoked led side repeaters and a winparts clear led high level brake light spray tinted(it now works, the previous light didn't work at all)😌, spray tinted the rear lights(my own work copying lights being sold for £200 plus, a total ripoff)😮, universal aluminium roof spoiler, malpassi fuel pressure regulator, there is a dual friction stage 2.5 clutch kit ready to be bolted on from larkspeed(good lads)👍.

I intend to add a stage 1 and 2 remap, stage 3 if available after all mods added. Piper cam shafts are available at an eye watering price and (probably) an even more eye watering install cost.😆 I am looking into throttle body changes (if possible), an Aisin AMR 500 supercharger caught my eye, although some engine bay components would need to be possibly relocated to be able to squeeze it in somewhere to be inline with a pully.🙂 The injectors are good up to 132 hp so I find out, as they have been used on the old focus cars with the higher BHP so no need to change these. I'm looking for more suggestions.🤑

Hope you all liked this post and hopefully some one will have got some inspiration out of this post to go do something impressive with their pride and joy. 🖖👨‍🦲✌️

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found this thread from the ford fiesta page and thought I would put a post out there, to put my pennies worth in😆 It's always a good thing to have other people's opinions and pointers with tuning up

Can anyone give me their opinion on whether this sports cat manifold is the same shape as a ford fiesta mk6 2002-2008. It says it is for mk6 2008-2012, how much difference do the two exhaust mani

That caliper paint will be the last thing left of the car when the time comes! BTW be careful using compressed air to remove caliper pistons. Once it goes, it will shoot off like a bullet and cer

Posted Images

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Put some pictures in. Would be cool to see that paint colour 😉

Will do Zain. Need to give it a wash as it has a nice shade of mushed up, splatter blasted, leaves, from the gutters around here, trailing up the side of the car.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:16 PM, zain611 said:

As promised, here is a few pics of the car as it is now. It is however a shame that the sun is not, exactly, shining. I don't think the pics give the colour justice as it is a damp day with, dewy, moisture all over the surface. The car is a matt finish, the spoiler needs to be re-attached also which is black. Hope you like.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

On 12/2/2020 at 10:16 PM, zain611 said:

Nice headlights by the way zain, I was thinking of getting the dlr's. It was a toss up between the halos and them, the halos won.👍

Just to add to this thread I took a new throttle body to a metal work shop to have it bored out to 50mm to fit to car. Will be interesting to see how it can give any performance gains, will probably compliment the uprated fuel pressure regulator and power coils, leads and plugs. Look forward to fitting it all together.😁

Had to send the HT leads I originally bought back as they did not fit the coil end, annoying as the first set of new custom ones got lost in the post, somehow. Just today been sent a new custom set after two weeks of the last ones going missing. They got here in the end eh😉

I got the throttle body being bored with an engineer/machining shop to 50.05mm, the chap says he will have some good news for me on Monday, just hope it's good news about the price tag as well.🤭 Got a drivetorque 2.5 dual friction clutch down stairs ready to be fitted once a few other things have been done to it. Got the stage 1 planned for new year, and stage 2 after that, some time, £150 for stage 1 is not bad, think a rolling road will have to be introduced into the equation to crunch those numbers.

Can't wait to get the coil on with the iridium plugs and silicone leads, hopefully the extra spark power will solve the sooting on the plugs.😐

Got this lot fitted today, started with the Lucas MAP sensor, which took literally 5 mins. Result.

Went to fit the coolant temperature sensor and found I ordered the wrong type, got the Delphi screw in type when I needed the push in type🤐. Hope mister auto will accept it back🤔. Waiting for the right one to be delivered.

Oxygen/Lamda sensor is running late, was expecting it to be delivered today, but a no show. Got some other service parts waiting for delivery, drive belt, oil filter, fuel filter, tools to finish the job.

Fitted the MSD coil. Cut the old coil wiring plug off, stripped the wires, added the new coil wiring repair kit with new, oval, shape connector, and installed the, 1.3mm gapped, iridium plugs with new ignition leads.

Had a 5 minute panic when the cars electrics cut out completely while trying to test coil pack and wiring. Switched some wires around and same thing, electrical trip😒. Checked and double checked the wiring/installation diagrams/media and put the wires back to how they were the first time, and success, it started😏. Very strange it didn't work the first time around must have been a loose wire perhaps or the car was just trolling me🙄.

Will take a few pics of it all installed tomorrow as ran out of light today.

Pics of fitted coil and leads, and  pics of the throttle body that is now holding a 50mm Dellorto plate all together again.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

New larger screw where the old one broke and had to be re-tapped.

Malpassi uprated fuel pressure regulator.

spacer.png

MSD 8241 hyperpower blaster coil pack.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Got some service parts today also, I can't believe how big the fuel filter looks compared to oil filter, would have through the sizes would be would be opposite to what they are, the oil filter being bigger.

spacer.png

Just waiting on the 5Ltr oil bottle to refill engine oil levels after draining for filter fitment. Mister-auto accepted the return for the coolant temperature sensor☺️

1 hour ago, FiestaForever said:

spacer.png

Next thing I'd do is relocate that cone filter. With it in that position you're probably running less power than what you would have stock! You need a cold air feed to it and ideally boxing in to prevent heat soak. I'd try and position it right in front of the fuel pressure regulator if there's room. It looks like that's where the original intake pipe used to be which will pull cool air from outside the engine bay.

You know Luke I had thought about the heat from the engine being an issue with the filter in its present position, which is why I had been looking online for a box of some kind to fit the filter in and run a cold feed to it but I have had no luck in finding a box suitable of the right size, that would fit the filter in, it's a big one, and also that will still fit in the engine bay.

I do not know where else I can stash the fuel regulator. Options are limited. I may have to just get some wood and fashion a box out of it to plumb up the cold feed for the filter.

I realised this would probably have to be the only option for best performance.

Doing it out of wood would be the most botched looking thing ever 😂😂.

Just get some cardboard, cut it out, bend it to shape and mark mounting holes etc. Then get some sheet metal and use the cardboard as a template. Spray it black and jobs a gooden.

13 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Doing it out of wood would be the most botched looking thing ever 😂😂.

Just get some cardboard, cut it out, bend it to shape and mark mounting holes etc. Then get some sheet metal and use the cardboard as a template. Spray it black and jobs a gooden.

Not to be a stick in the mud or anything, I think metal would not be the best material as it tends to have a higher thermal conductivity and the air would heat up from the radiance of the engine in no time. A smooth bit of wood like mdf, varnished and painted, wrapped, etc would have good thermal resistance and would look however I wanted it to look. Plastic box would be ideal but like I said I can't find one that is "just right".

9 minutes ago, FiestaForever said:

Not to be a stick in the mud or anything, I think metal would not be the best material as it tends to have a higher thermal conductivity and the air would heat up from the radiance of the engine in no time. A smooth bit of wood like mdf, varnished and painted, wrapped, etc would have good thermal resistance and would look however I wanted it to look. Plastic box would be ideal but like I said I can't find one that is "just right".

I've never ever seen any sort of heat shield made out of wood or plastic. Stainless is your best bet as it doesn't transfer heat very well and is relatively easy to bend. I can tell you now you'll never get a piece of wood to look like it wasn't literally thrown in the engine bay. The cold air feed will cool the metal down so won't get that hot.

Most standard air boxes are made from plastic. I think plastic and wood would be suitable as they also weigh less than metal too. I understand what you saying most people go for the metal items because they are durable.

Can anyone give me their opinion on whether this sports cat manifold is the same shape as a ford fiesta mk6 2002-2008.

It says it is for mk6 2008-2012, how much difference do the two exhaust manifolds have from each other, can it be retrofitted and engineered to fit?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=232847485844&category=61410&pm=1&ds=0&t=1598018123000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Wood is flammable...you really don't want that in an engine bay! :unsure: 

08-12 is Mk7, don't take any notice of ebay 'Marks' lol.  The 1.25 engine remained the same between Mk6 and Mk7 so the manifold should fit, but as the rear exhaust is different I'm not sure whether the cat would meet the centre correctly.

11 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

Can anyone give me their opinion on whether this sports cat manifold is the same shape as a ford fiesta mk6 2002-2008.

It says it is for mk6 2008-2012, how much difference do the two exhaust manifolds have from each other, can it be retrofitted and engineered to fit?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=232847485844&category=61410&pm=1&ds=0&t=1598018123000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Any decent exhaust fitting company will be able to make it fit. Some systems need tweaking.

6 hours ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Any decent exhaust fitting company will be able to make it fit. Some systems need tweaking.

Or just get a custom made one from the get go. I'd relocate the cat into a centre section of the rather than having a mani-cat like there is now.

The one posted above seems very cheap, especially considering it's got the manifold attached. I'd be very surprised if it's good enough quality to last more than a couple years.

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

08-12 is Mk7, don't take any notice of ebay 'Marks' lol.  The 1.25 engine remained the same between Mk6 and Mk7 so the manifold should fit, but as the rear exhaust is different I'm not sure whether the cat would meet the centre correctly.

That's what I thought but the ebay seller is covering his back saying it is for the 2008-2012 model only.

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

Or just get a custom made one from the get go. I'd relocate the cat into a centre section of the rather than having a mani-cat like there is now.

The one posted above seems very cheap, especially considering it's got the manifold attached. I'd be very surprised if it's good enough quality to last more than a couple years.

Custom made sports cat sound s expensive and although it may seem like I can afford it, I really can't. Would be nice to get a job but no one is biting which is very annoying because soon I will probably not be able to even afford to run the car let alone give it a tune. I can't comment on the quality it is probably one from china or something being so inexpensive, but then it is in my price range. I saw some de-cat manifolds, so where would I find a cat on the middle pipe?

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Wood is flammable...you really don't want that in an engine bay! :unsure: 

Yes wood is highly flammable and plastic no better which is why I went up to homebase to buy some materials to create my own custom cold air feed/filter box. Will attack it tomorrow more than likely as the sun is supposed to be out.😄 I think there is enough metal there to make a small box, the filter is 150mm diameter X 145mm height. The sheets are 500mm X 250mm so all good, might even be able to take one back perhaps, but will see if I mess up somewhere, lol. 😛

spacer.png

Update on the upgraded 50mm throttle body. Have installed it, which took less time than your granny takes to suck eggs.😛

Learnt about the throttle re-learn procedure and turned ignition on for around a minute or so, without starting the engine, then turned it off again. When the engine was turned over it started nicely, although it started with high revving to around 2.5 on the clock and then settled to normal again.😏

Got to say it is singly the one most interesting mod I have included on the engine. There is a noticeable gain in throttle response and acceleration. For the cost it is totally worth it, and this new larger bore throttle body certainly does compliment the high power coil, plugs, and performance ignition leads. I might have a play with the fuel pressure regulator tomorrow and enrich the mixture a bit, see if it gives any further enhancement to the throttles response.🧐

All in all I'm very happy with the results and the cold air box will also be a good thing to add on too, but still unsure where to move the fuel regulator to, will have a tinker tomorrow and sort summat out.

Ok so the lack of patience got the better of me, ha, and I started messing around with metal.

Safety First Children

spacer.png

Got all the tools out to start tinkering with, I love the start of a project, it's a bit exciting to me, I love to make things and creating something new is awesome especially if its something never attempted before. The thought in the back of my mind is don't mess up it can be expensive.😛 Tin snips Vs Jigsaw🤔.

The sharpie is a mans best friend. Marked all the lines for cutting, made adjustments either side by 10mm to accommodate for the bolts during construction. Used a hammer and centre punch so that the drill wouldn't fly around the metal sheeting. Drilled the holes for the jigsaw blade to go through.

Measured the filter side where the pipe fits into it to get it as accurate as possible so that the filter sits snuggly inside.

spacer.png

Opted for the jigsaw as it is easier to manoeuvre to cut the hole for the end of the filter to fit through. Then cut the hole and proceeded to cut the top plate and bottom plate of the box. The plate with the hole sits nicely over the filter/pipe union. will probably put some 3M double sided foam tape on the filter to hold it nicely in place.

spacer.pngspacer.png

And that's it so far, time was getting on and not sure if the next door neighbour would be all too happy and enjoy the sound of a jigsaw humming and metal being shredded past 21:00. Updates tomorrow.😃