Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated screen suddenly stopped working

nemmi69

Of course I find out in the bad weather that the screen has suddenly stopped (worked last month).

So after reading up on this this is what I have done.

1) Checked the fuses

2) Swapped the relay with the ABS

3) Put a meter on the driver side wires. Power there.

4) Examined connections (see pics) . Cannot see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

IMG_20201125_112742_resized_20201125_113417118.jpg

IMG_20201125_112829_resized_20201125_113416741.jpg

Mine is now non operational John, it was ok 3 years ago but slowly failed from just half screen to only a few elements working.

Again all my fuses - relay etc ok, just put it down to end of it's life and come to the conclusion in my case a new windscreen is required.

Probably down to moisture ingress but tbh i do have the screen delaminating in the corners which is a bad sign.

After reading up on the ford heated screen via the usual search engines, it is not an uncommon issue.

Only way to replace economically would be via insurance should something hit the screen....

As above really. If you've power at the plug then it can only be the screen at fault. Maybe check continuity through the elements. You'll probably find either high resistance or open circuit.

I made a how to guide a few years ago, I think the pictures are long gone now though.

Well here's a thing. So, disconnected the power connector up by the screen and put the meter inbetween. Showed 14.4V as would be expected. But the screen is still not working.

The elements in the screen have probably failed - probably through age or weather related. It won’t matter how much power is at the plug, if the elements are dead - it’s not going to work. 

• Thanks 1

If you disconnected the

On 11/27/2020 at 9:01 PM, nemmi69 said:

Well here's a thing. So, disconnected the power connector up by the screen and put the meter inbetween. Showed 14.4V as would be expected. But the screen is still not working.

meter should be on current (Amps) not voltage range if measuring in line.

I think you should accept that the screen is u/s, if all checks have been carried out and you have voltage present at the terminals.

On 11/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, fullwavebridge said:

If you disconnected the

meter should be on current (Amps) not voltage range if measuring in line.

I think you should accept that the screen is u/s, if all checks have been carried out and you have voltage present at the terminals.

Yeah, got that feeling. Seems odd it happened both sides at the same time.

If one common return for both sides has gone open circuit then yes John that's probably the reason.

As i previously mentioned mine has failed completely, i just get the car running for 5 min before i finish work at 3am !

Many more little jobs to do to mine, just had cambelt,water pump, aux belt replaced at 120k, i prefer my vaux astra 1.7dti but prefer the £30 ford road tax !

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat as you (or should that be car) anyhow the difference with mine is , it was working albeit not very well now the light on the switch has stopped working . I have checked the fuses and they seem ok could you please tell me where and which relay is for the heated front screen ? thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately ford's Quick Clear screens are problematic. But I did get one fixed for £75. 

The problem seems to be any stone chips break the heating wires inside. Plus according to the autoglass bloke they delaminate with time and just stop working. Common signs are white/misty around the edges of the screen. Often close to the corners. 

If your fuses are good and you get power up to the screen then the screen itself needs replacement. 

Well my fix - I was 'careless' with a set of plyers and accidentally cracked the screen in the passenger area. Autoglass replaced the screen for my £75 glass excess. Afterwards it was all working fine and dandy. Just offering it out there. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club