Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling From Rear Of Car

mcouchard

Hi all,

There appears to be a ratling noise that seems to come from the rear of the Focus I have removed everything from the boot and it was still there. Jacked it up and removed the wheels for a good look round underneath and there are no obviously split bushes or anything. I took photos that I can post though in case I was missing something.

I know that the front lower arem ball joint bushes have gone both sides but the noise does appear to be coming from the rear or could it just be the noise traveling down the chassis from the front bushes?

Any advice gratefully recieved at the rate I'm going with the Focus it won't be long before I replaced most of the car :angry:

Any one interested in a 2005 MK1 Focus 1.6 Zetec with 92K :lol: (wishful thinking)

Hi all,

There appears to be a ratling noise that seems to come from the rear of the Focus I have removed everything from the boot and it was still there. Jacked it up and removed the wheels for a good look round underneath and there are no obviously split bushes or anything. I took photos that I can post though in case I was missing something.

I know that the front lower arem ball joint bushes have gone both sides but the noise does appear to be coming from the rear or could it just be the noise traveling down the chassis from the front bushes?

Any advice gratefully recieved at the rate I'm going with the Focus it won't be long before I replaced most of the car :angry:

Any one interested in a 2005 MK1 Focus 1.6 Zetec with 92K :lol: (wishful thinking)

have you checked the heatshields? they can be a bugger for rattling.

im interested in the car...if its for free :lol: (now thats wishful thinking)

have you checked the heatshields? they can be a bugger for rattling.

im interested in the car...if its for free :lol: (now thats wishful thinking)

Yeah the heat shield didn't seem to move much the exhaust had a bit of movement in it but I don't think its enough. Its difficult to tell though.

Yeah I'm hoping to get £3K for the car it has FSH a new clutch, alternator, gear linkage, front springs, clutch release bearing, discs (brembo) and pads (ferrodo) and a pair of new Bridgestones on the front. All that expenditure in one year! Plus I have to replace both lower arms now and if I keep it till the end of the year the cambelt will be due...

I hope its just the heat shield but it has been gettiing worse over the last few weeks

Yeah the heat shield didn't seem to move much the exhaust had a bit of movement in it but I don't think its enough. Its difficult to tell though.

Yeah I'm hoping to get £3K for the car it has FSH a new clutch, alternator, gear linkage, front springs, clutch release bearing, discs (brembo) and pads (ferrodo) and a pair of new Bridgestones on the front. All that expenditure in one year! Plus I have to replace both lower arms now and if I keep it till the end of the year the cambelt will be due...

I hope its just the heat shield but it has been gettiing worse over the last few weeks

hmm, your right it is almost a new car lol.

if its not the heatshields, have a check of the rear anti roll bar and its bushes. i would give the springs a look over too just to make sure they are ok.

hmm, your right it is almost a new car lol.

if its not the heatshields, have a check of the rear anti roll bar and its bushes. i would give the springs a look over too just to make sure they are ok.

Thanks what does the anti roll bar look like is it the tubular section that goes from one side to the other? If so the bushes near the centre of it looked fine if a bit dry but I will have another look at my photos to see if the bushes at the bar extremities are okay.

Thanks what does the anti roll bar look like is it the tubular section that goes from one side to the other? If so the bushes near the centre of it looked fine if a bit dry but I will have another look at my photos to see if the bushes at the bar extremities are okay.

yeah thats the one, it should have a bolt either side that goes through it and the rear axle, make sure these are still there and the bushes are ok.

yeah thats the one, it should have a bolt either side that goes through it and the rear axle, make sure these are still there and the bushes are ok.

Thanks I'll have a look tonight if my wife brings it back in daylight

Thanks I'll have a look tonight if my wife brings it back in daylight

check that the springs on the rear hasnt broken deep down inside the cup as this can cause rattling check the rear bumper isnt moving sounds daft but ford used cheap plastic screws on it and they can wear so it gets loose i replaced all mine with metal nuts and bolts if neither then traxcking the source may be hard try get the mrs to drive whikle you sit in the rear to give you a rough idea if its in the centre or near the rear shocks

• 1 year later...

Did anyone solve this? I have the exact same problem and I cant seem to find anything moving around in the back.

I looked again and see the links they look something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-MK1-Rear-Anti-Roll-Bar-Link-Kit-/270784985349?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0c0af905#ht_1101wt_1396

My car is 2006 and this part says it fits 2008 vehicles. Does anyone have the part for my year or can I go ahead and get this?

That links to a Genuine Ford Focus MK1 (1998-2005) Rear Anti Roll Bar Link Kit

• 3 weeks later...

That links to a Genuine Ford Focus MK1 (1998-2005) Rear Anti Roll Bar Link Kit

Well I bought that kit from eBay only to realise it is not the exact same thing. The one from eBay is longer and has three sets of rubbers and the one I took off the car had on 4 sets of rubber. I went ahead and changed it anyway so will see what happens.

Well I bought that kit from ebay only to realise it is not the exact same thing. The one from ebay is longer and has three sets of rubbers and the one I took off the car had on 4 sets of rubber. I went ahead and changed it anyway so will see what happens.

it wont work thats a mk1 and youre cars a mk2 with stiffer rear anti roll bar links it will physically fit but wont do the handling any favours 1998-2005 is mk1-1.5 youres is a mk2 2004-2007

it wont work thats a mk1 and youre cars a mk2 with stiffer rear anti roll bar links it will physically fit but wont do the handling any favours 1998-2005 is mk1-1.5 youres is a mk2 2004-2007

Great!! I will ride the mk1 version while I order the correct one. The eBay people seems to have the correct version based on my VIN so we will see what gives. I must say though it is a welcome silence in the car now that I have changed them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club