Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6tdci Glowplug issues

211v2a3

Hi Guys, apologies for info hunting on my first post but im getting a bit desperate here.  Long story: covid basically cost me my job (and my car) but i was fortunate enough to be donated a 2009 Fusion from a distant relative which ive been sorting out over the last month in preparation for the wife to start her new job at the supermarket.  Not exactly glamorous but it will keep our heads above water until i find something to bring the cash in.

Anyway, enough whining, lifes too short!! ive nearly finished getting the car ready (brakes/exhaust, timing belt/water pump/turbo pipe and banjos/ oil and filters etc) but theres a couple of issues that are bugging me.  When i start the car, theres no indication on the dash for the glow plugs so for now ive just been counting for 10sec then starting the engine which goes no problem and actually runs very well but im concerned that this might be symptomatic of something more serious.  Ive tested the dash with the onscreen diagnostics and the glowplug led is fine so i can only assume theres a problem elsewhere.  Reading through the haynes manual, theres a mention of a glowplug controller but i cant find it in the engine bay and tbh, looking at the spares listed for the vehicle it seems to be described as either a controller OR a relay. My concern here obviously is if it is just a relay then it might well be the pcm.  Anybody come across this before? Any pointers?

Secondly, what is this:

1008373737_EGRValve.thumb.jpg.8a0a64b4777263214a9ab7a585a3f8b0.jpg

The closest thing i can find in the haynes manual is an EGR Solenoid valve as it does have pipes with NRV's on them.  The problem is haynes states its behind the cylinder head, whereas this one is on the front passenger wing.  Apart from not knowing what it is, its quite noisy when the engine is running.  I thought it was a high speed pump at first as the whistling can be heard over the engine at tickover.  Is that normal?

Once again, i apologies for the needy first post but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!!

On my Focus mk2 1.6TDCi I don't remember seeing the glow plug lights ever coming on, I just get in, turn the key and it starts.

I may be wrong, but I think the glow plugs start to heat up when you unlock the car, therefore have warmed up before you turn the key.

Sorry can't help with the item in your picture.

• Like 1

Glow plug light will only flash briefly until it gets much colder.  You should see it on a frosty morning though.  It doesn't actually indicate that the plugs are on, it's just on a timer depending on the temp.  It'll probably start fine with just a second or two of ignition before starting.

The plugs don't heat from opening the door.  On modern petrols the in-tank pump starts from opening the door which may be where the confusion came from.

The 1.6 TDCi uses an electronic EGR valve.  I think that vacuum solenoid will be for the turbo wastegate. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys!  Yes the wastegate may make sense as one of the pipes disappears off to the turbo body.  Strangely one also goes through the bulkhead?

I'll check the car next time its cold ref the glowplug light.  If its as simple as that, then definitely happy days and one less thing to worry about.

It was a few years before I saw my glow plug light. It comes on for a split second if the temp is 0 degrees. To see it I have to stare at the screen when I switch the ignition on.

Well it was ***** cold in the garage tonight so as a test i checked the ignition, lo and behold the glowplug light came on for about a second!  Big relief that nothings wrong and thanks again for all your answers.  Top Notch!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well,  finally get the car running ok and its actually a nice little runabout but:

Theres been a couple of times where the powertrain warning light has come on.  I suspect its my wifes driving as its never happened to me (🤬) and she's more used to auto's than manual.  Having witnessed it today, she occasionally forgets to put the clutch in and the engine then stutters at really low revs before she catches it......im thinking knock sensor??

But, ignition off and on again clears the fault light and annoyingly it also seems to clear all fault codes off the diagnostic screen.  If i take it to the garage will they be able to access the fault code with a plug in reader or has the memory been totally cleared?

update.  My local friendly garage plugged his reader in for me and from this:

PXL_20210106_154756099.thumb.jpg.13790739e33ae985b603eb7949b86178.jpg

I get this this:

PXL_20210113_155634579.thumb.jpg.58112b1833cc71efecc70c66c27bb428.jpg

Just need to figure out what these all are!!!   Of course it would have helped if there was dates/time on the faults as i dont know just how old they are.  Mechanic has suggested cleaning out the ECU connector?

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone. I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 tdci (06). For a while ive had the pcm light (yellow cog and exclamation mark). Ive been to several garages and the code that comes up has to do with the Glow Plug Relay (Module). I purchased a Haynes Manual…it shows the location of the Glow Plug Relay (next to the battery attached to the PCM) HOWEVER…I do not seem to have a Glow Plug Relay. I cant see a wire where it would normally plug into.

my question is…how is it possible for the car to start? 

if I am missing the Glow Plug Relay…should I just buy a new one? If I do that, where would I find the plug that connects to the bottom of the Relay?

if more info is required, please let me know.

thank you all in advance

Glow plugs are to assist starting when very cold. They are used when they are not essential, it helps start quicker and smoother on warm up and better for emission output whilst warming up.  Most cars in our climate can still be used with no glowplugs ( but rougher starting and more emissions) .  In case you aren’t aware, engine management light on is not a mot failure on 2006 diesel.   If car drives ok then I wouldn’t worry too much. 

• Like 1

When I say our climate I am thinking of main areas of England, might be different in the mountains

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ParkedUpAnywhere said:

it shows the location of the Glow Plug Relay (next to the battery attached to the PCM) HOWEVER…I do not seem to have a Glow Plug Relay. I cant see a wire where it would normally plug into.

I seem to remember this problem on the 2005 - 2006 diesel model.

There is an auxilary relay box that can hold up to 4 relays but only ever has 2 fitted. It is hidden below and behind the headlight on the passenger side of the car. You have to remove the headlight to be able to reach the box. One relay is for the glowplugs and the other is something to do with the cooling fan.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"There is an auxilary relay box that can hold up to 4 relays but only ever has 2 fitted. It is hidden below and behind the headlight on the passenger side of the car. You have to remove the headlight to be able to reach the box. One relay is for the glowplugs and the other is something to do with the cooling fan."

I have a 2010 1.4 diesel and the Haynes manual picture says glow plug relay next to battery box, bolts are there for a bracket but no wire or relay, cant find it there or the aux relay box next to the battery with two relays in. Looked behind and under the left side headlight as well this morning and nothing at all.

Have replaced both small aux relays anyway.

Symptoms were went over a pot hole and boot open light came on and soon after the engine warning light. This was back in Feb last year.

Went into limp mode which was not great problem as only in the morning crawl to work and back later.

Fixed the boot light problem which was intermittent anyway and would come on or go off if the road bumps were big enough, by removing the switch on the lock and slightly building up the plunger using some super glue and bicarb which hardens it like steel. Im guessing the plunger end wears a little and makes it just on the point of being off or on.

The warning light however i had a diag cable and the Forscan program which gave it as a glow plug error. This too was intermittent and would go off after a while or road bump or after a decent drive above 40.  It stayed intermittent for months sometime being off for a month so ignored it as i couldnt find the relay and didnt think it was the glow plugs themselves otherwise it wouldnt be intermittent. A failed plug would stay failed. Came on a few weeks before MOT last year and went off the day before, passed MOT and came on a few days later and has stayed on. 

I can get up to 70 in 5th when you feel it pull as the revs get to 2500, as long as you go through the gears before 2500 it drives ok.

May get rid of it in August when tax, insurance and MOT are all next due but may keep for another year if i can get the light to stay off. 

Have cleared the error and reset ECU multiple times and sometimes this worked and it would stay off but now its just on all the time. Usually as soon as i start the engine or a few seconds later.

Was beginning to think the it may be related to ambient temp sensor as the temp sensor always reads 52 to 58 degrees however cold or hot it is, if the sensor is wrong the glow plug circuit might getting triggered thinking its really cold.

Problem i have is i cant really remove the front bumper to get to the sensor and get abetter look for the relay as car work is banned where i live, basic maintenance is ok but removing large parts and leaving cars dismantled is a no no.

So does anyone have any idea where the glow plug relay might be, i have run out of places to look and have checked fuses etc hidden between the small relay box and battery (God awful design). I cant remove the battery box as one of the bolts is seized, i have also replaced the battery as the previous one was consistently at about 11.3v but that may been because i mainly do short journeys.

The fault did go for a while after i replaced the battery. I have been going for longer drives at the weekend just to kick in DPF cleaning and keep charge up but still the light on. Before if it was on a  20 mile drive somewhere and back would tip it to off but by next day it would be back.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club