Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

I had a BMW pass me tonight like I was stationary!! 

It would be a bit of a problem if this vaccine only last for a few months like 3 at the most,there needs to be a bigger look into all of this as we are just going round and round living off a vaccine every so many months.

If this goes on 1000 area die a day around 30k a month we are in a mess.

My 83 year old mum got hers last week, one of the first in NI to do so, she didn't even have a sore arm after. I can't wait to get mine.

I do think it's ironic that 6 months ago when hoards of morons were shoving their trolleys round the supermarket, stocking up on toilet rolls, pasta, and anything else they could get their grubby hands on, and were praying for a vaccination. Now it's here, they all of a sudden buy in to some conspiracy theory and say they don't want it - hilarious!

• Like 3

My neighbour (similar age) had hers Monday, no problems reported. 

50 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

It would be a bit of a problem if this vaccine only last for a few months like 3 at the most,there needs to be a bigger look into all of this as we are just going round and round living off a vaccine every so many months.

I can see it being an annual thing for certain age groups in addition to flu jabs, which have been extended to over 50s this year. That may well continue in future also.

1 minute ago, mokes said:

I'm not so sure that immediate problems after  the jab are the issue, it's more that the long term effects are unknown.

Indeed, maybe we should wait another 30 years and see what crops up LOL 🤣

Yes, I can see it becoming routine.  Covid is worse than flu because we haven't built any generational immunity to it.  

3 minutes ago, mokes said:

Bit of an assumption that 'they' are the same people isn't it? Was there some link between panic buying and demanding a vaccine?

Yes, absolute link! Next slide please... 😁

I'm not sure that we have an immunity to flu either, otherwise we wouldnt getting jabs every year.

We have some, flu is not as fatal as it used to be.

Er, I'm not sure I want to as I think you will disagree with whatever I write.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting Government press release here on some degree of immunity being conveyed by having had the virus. I'd still prefer the jab, tbh!😀

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/past-covid-19-infection-provides-some-immunity-but-people-may-still-carry-and-transmit-virus

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm being thick here (probably!), but surely immunity means that the virus would be killed off pretty quickly within your system before having the chance to multiply to huge numbers?  How can immune people still carry and transmit it? :unsure: 

• Like 1

You can still have the virus in your immune system, and whilst you won’t feel the effects of it because your immune system kills it off, it’s still transmissible to those that haven’t had it. 

As an aside, I had it early on in March. I was recently exposed to someone with it at work, and whilst I’ve been self-isolating for 10 days, I haven’t developed any effects from it. Now that may be because I didn’t catch it at all, or it could be because my body has immunity and has killed it off. However, I could still spread it if I did have it.

15 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

You can still have the virus in your immune system, and whilst you won’t feel the effects of it because your immune system kills it off, it’s still transmissible to those that haven’t had it. 

I do get that, but surely it'll only be a day or two that it's in there and in such a small amount that it wouldn't be transmittable anyway?

The concern I have here, is that people that can't have the virus for medical reasons (those that are already extremely vulnerable) will still be at great risk even after the majority or people have had the vaccine?

Just now, mokes said:

There are going to be people that cant have the  coronavirus vaccine. Same with other vaccines too.

Vaccinating the majority is the goal.

Yes, but if we're suggesting that the virus will still be spread around between vaccinated people, just without them noticing, then it means the unvaccinated vulnerable people won't ever be able to leave the house again...  

58 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I do get that, but surely it'll only be a day or two that it's in there and in such a small amount that it wouldn't be transmittable anyway?

The concern I have here, is that people that can't have the virus for medical reasons (those that are already extremely vulnerable) will still be at great risk even after the majority or people have had the vaccine?

I believe you will still contract a full viral load if you’ve already had it, it just doesn’t effect you and will take a few days to full fight off. My parents had mild flu symptoms for a week after getting their jab. If enough people have the vaccine and so will become asymptomatic when they get it, then the vectors for transmission will be reduced I guess, greatly reducing the risk for clinically vulnerable people. Equally, the vaccine will allow them to fight it off before it fully takes effect in the body. I’m not an expert, this is just my understanding lol so could be totally incorrect!

• Like 1

I just love the way we have all turned into such medical experts in the last 9 months!

Next slide please... 😁

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I just love the way we have all turned into such medical experts in the last 9 months!

Next slide please... 😁

It's almost as if it's dominated our lives giving little chance to think about anything else... 🤔🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Not sure if I'm being thick here (probably!), but surely immunity means that the virus would be killed off pretty quickly within your system before having the chance to multiply to huge numbers?  How can immune people still carry and transmit it? :unsure: 

People would be infected by it but those immune would trigger a faster immune response so clearing it faster before causing it's pathology. The virus might still replicate in them hence could still pass it onto others.

2 hours ago, mokes said:

"We now know that most of those who have had the virus, and developed antibodies, are protected  from reinfection"

THAT'S why Boris is able to go where he likes...he's immune!

I don't think he knows what he's talking about 😂. If that was the case we never would be getting the flu every year. Reason why viruses like influenza gets people every year is because there's another strain of it. Another strain means it's basically new to your immune system so your body has to go through finding a right antibodies which can bind to the receptor of the virus and so blocks it from replicating.

With covid there's new strains being found so you might get sick again if you catch another strain. Basically a virus needs your cells to manipulate it to use its machinery to create more viruses but it first needs to enter the cells using its receptors. Your antibodies work in blocking the receptor so hence blocks it entering your cells and replicating inside it and killing your cells

My father does a lot of work in biological fields, and I took A-level biology so trying to channel some of that basic knowledge here haha!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

My father does a lot of work in biological fields, and I took A-level biology so trying to channel some of that basic knowledge here haha!

Well that probably trump's my A in GCSE triple science... :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, theres clearly nothing else to talk about...except of course, there is. Cancer, heart disease, dementia, but none of that matters at the moment does it?

Well, having been wonderfully treated by the NHS for 2 out of those 3 (I'll let you guess which one I haven't!), I'm more than  happy to talk about them... 😃

5 minutes ago, mokes said:

Then you were quite lucky as I assume it was prior to 2020?

Thankfully yes, though some follow ups have been interrupted by last years activities...

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Well that probably trump's my A in GCSE triple science... :biggrin:

I can’t remember much about it though, it was 6 years ago haha! Shoutout to triple science at GCSE 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

I can’t remember much about it though, it was 6 years ago haha! Shoutout to triple science at GCSE 😂

Bet you remember more than I do about the GCE Biology I got 53 years ago!😀

• Haha 2