Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

On the subject of requirements, were any of you forced to change your masks before the jab?

Not forced, but they were handing them out and asking people to remove reusable masks and wear the provided single-use mask instead. 

The reason behind this is because proper single-use masks generally have better filtration than most reusable ones. When you're out shopping that's not a big issue, but in an enclosed space with lots of people getting jabs you want to make sure you're doing everything to prevent viruses wandering about. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Not forced, but they were handing them out and asking people to remove reusable masks and wear the provided single-use mask instead. 

Interesting. There does at least seem some logic to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

On the subject of requirements, were any of you forced to change your masks before the jab?

Tom, this morning as part of my own personal 'fightback' against a government literally out of control, I went into 3 large shops, and did NOT wear a mask. I had in my pocket a card I made myself, 'I am exempt from wearing a face covering', which can be downloaded from the official government web site. 

I wasn't stopped once (a bit disappointed on that as I was looking forward to showing my card!)

1108680640_exemptcard.thumb.jpg.ca5ffc8cfe52e92a1795b50697d80984.jpg

I am double jabbed and old enough to make my own decisions on safety...

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

The reason behind this is because proper single-use masks generally have better filtration than most reusable ones. When you're out shopping that's not a big issue, but in an enclosed space with lots of people getting jabs you want to make sure you're doing everything to prevent viruses wandering about. 

That would make sense.  But in at least 2 of these cases, (severe contamination OCD sufferers), they were being forced to remove better quality FFP3 masks for the lower grade ones.  It also means touching your face unnecessarily.  And they were expected to use the communal sanitizer pump despite carrying their own.

As with most protocols, there needs to be an understanding of why they're in place and some flexibility in it.   I can totally see the point for someone that's had a sweaty scarf around their neck all week, pulling it up as they enter a building.  But when people are taking higher precautions than the gov't recommends due to their own fears/conditions it seemed unnecessary.

Just had my 2nd Pfizer dose 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, this morning as part of my own personal 'fightback' against a government literally out of control, I went into 3 large shops, and did NOT wear a mask. I had in my pocket a card I made myself, 'I am exempt from wearing a face covering', which can be downloaded from the official government web site. 

I wasn't stopped once (a bit disappointed on that as I was looking forward to showing my card!)

I always thought that the reason for wearing masks was to lessen the chance of spreading infections to other people if you are infected with something rather than to prevent you getting infected. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

But in at least 2 of these cases, (severe contamination OCD sufferers), they were being forced to remove better quality FFP3 masks for the lower grade ones.  It also means touching your face unnecessarily.  And they were expected to use the communal sanitizer pump despite carrying their own.

Did that come from a reliable source Tom. The professional anarchists that have cottoned onto Covid have changed tact recently and are now spreading disinformation  that is believable rather than the unbelievable stuff that they have now  been prevented from spreading.  

Each to their own.  I'm not against the masks myself - if anything I'd like to see people wearing them voluntarily with colds and flu like they do in other countries.

Even being double jabbed isn't a 100% guarantee that you won't catch or transmit it.  But as you say, it's your choice...everything we do everyday has a risk level that has to be justified or managed.

4 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Did that come from a reliable source Tom. The professional anarchists that have cottoned onto Covid have changed tact recently and are now spreading disinformation  that is believable rather than the unbelievable stuff that they have now  been prevented from spreading.  

Very reliable source, yes. I can't say where due to confidentiality but it was direct from the people themselves, not realising it was happening to others as well until that point.

It seemed to be more common in Scotland but I'm guessing you didn't have the same experience?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It seemed to be more common in Scotland but I'm guessing you didn't have the same experience?

No, I have had both Jabs and so have a lot of other people I know up here and none of them have had that experience.

• Thanks 1

this morning as part of my own personal 'fightback' against a government literally out of control, I went into 3 large shops, and did NOT wear a mask. 

You rebel! I bet you get a few inches too close to people as well!😀

Seriously though, I found it ridiculously easy to get "mask exempt" badges and lanyards for people who were really exempt - all our big supermarkets were giving them out at Customer Services, most disability etc charities were providing  them for a small donation.

54 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That would make sense.  But in at least 2 of these cases, (severe contamination OCD sufferers), they were being forced to remove better quality FFP3 masks for the lower grade ones.  It also means touching your face unnecessarily.  And they were expected to use the communal sanitizer pump despite carrying their own.

As with most protocols, there needs to be an understanding of why they're in place and some flexibility in it.   I can totally see the point for someone that's had a sweaty scarf around their neck all week, pulling it up as they enter a building.  But when people are taking higher precautions than the gov't recommends due to their own fears/conditions it seemed unnecessary.

Now, that doesn't make sense at all. I'm not a mask fan generally but have no issue with them being used properly in a "clinical" environment. Most of the things in use though are about as much good as the proverbial chocolate teapot - I've seen people in shops just pull up their jumper over their face or hold a tissue over their mouth/nose, and nothing said.

To me, the way forward on this is to ensure proper medical grade masks are readily available for those who have a clinical need (e.g. are unable to be vaccinated) or those who are just plain nervous (hardly surprising) and wish to use one, and let Stephen and those of similar mind take responsibility for their own safety.

I could see me being prepared to use a (proper) mask when sitting in an area at high risk of infections (not just Covid) such as a doctor's or hospital waiting room, but not when I pop in the local shop for a paper!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

You rebel! I bet you get a few inches too close to people as well!😀

I'm actually quite respectful of 'social distance', always have been even before Covid. As for risk, this morning on attending a hospital appointment, I had to make my way through the usual drug addicts gathering at the entrance, puffing away on their tobacco, and gave them a wide berth.

When I got my 'shielding' letter last year, I then did my shopping at 7am when my local shop opened, once/week, and was consistently the only customer in the shop.

Again, before Covid, on using a public toilet, I always opened the door by pulling my sleeve over my hand, I'm sorry guys but most men out their, their personal hygiene routine is disgusting LOL

It's all about taking control over your own risk, and I just detest living in a nanny state where the government think they know best - they don't...

• Like 3

In case it's of interest to anyone who enjoys his music or otherwise, Eric Clapton has very recently offered an interview detailing the side effects he believes he suffered further to his AZ jabs. If nothing else, it would be a sad day when Old Slow Hand announces he can no longer play. I'm sure you'll find the interview should you wish.

Stephen, I'm with you on the sleeves, even in this heat. Best be prepared. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm actually quite respectful of 'social distance', always have been even before Covid. As for risk, this morning on attending a hospital appointment, I had to make my way through the usual drug addicts gathering at the entrance, puffing away on their tobacco, and gave them a wide berth.

Lol, I'm a bit that way myself. At my local hospital, the people outside in the smoking shelters are, almost without exception, doctors and nurses.

No mask changes here, in and out in 10mins 😎👋

• Like 1

If I had to wear a mask all day I might get fed up with it, but wearing it in a shop for 10 minutes has not and never will bother me.  I'm not a sheep or a drone, I'm not being oppressed.

In a lot of the smog ridden cities of this world public mask wearing is quite normal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guy Heaton said:

... but wearing it in a shop for 10 minutes has not and never will bother me. 

You obviously do not wear glasses LOL

That's true, not any more.  Laser treatment at 40.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You obviously do not wear glasses LOL

I wear a mask all day and reading glasses when required. Not an Easy combination. 

• Like 3

I had my second AZ jab 2 weeks ago (4th June). No mention of masks, but was told to wait 15 mins before driving. I don't think it was mentioned at my first jab. Both times I walked to the doctors surgery anyway. I was given a leaflet with updated symptums to look out for after the jab, blood clots were mentioned.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

I had my second AZ jab 2 weeks ago (4th June). No mention of masks, but was told to wait 15 mins before driving. I don't think it was mentioned at my first jab. 

From friends comments I was led to expect that and when I went for the first time  there was indeed a waiting area complete with chairs, drinks and biscuits. I asked if I should wait after my jab and was told the advice only really applied to the Pfizer (I had AZ), but I was very welcome to have a sit down and cuppa if I felt like it.

When I went for the second jab nothing was said at all but the waiting area was available for anyone who wanted it.

Did anyone watch the "Horizon" programme yesterday on BBC2 following the development of the various vaccines across the world? Very interesting indeed and added even more to my admiration for all those involved in a staggering achievement of science, manufacture and logistics.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Did anyone watch the "Horizon" programme yesterday on BBC2 following the development of the various vaccines across the world? Very interesting indeed and added even more to my admiration for all those involved in a staggering achievement of science, manufacture and logistics.

I watched it as well, an absolutely amazing program. I would have loved all the 'conspiracy' theory folk to have watched it and learn what was involved in making a worldwide vaccine involving numerous global companies. Of course, it would have involved them spending 90 minutes learning what actually went on, rather than the 90 second soundbite on FaceBook they normally get their info from...

• Like 3

I'll look out for that on iplayer

• Like 1

Well, it's (almost) official! Face mask wearing is on the way out. This morning, I was in Asda, Home Bargains, B&M and The Range. Never wore a face mask, and wasn't challenged once! (Not even a dirty look). In addition, I was not the only one.

Ironically, in The Range, there was a customer who had severe symptoms of a bad cold, I increased my 'social distancing' from her dramatically - didn't want to catch anything! But then I've always been careful and responsible for my own health...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club