Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

That's interesting Stephen. We've often wondered, when eating out (when permitted) how effective the perspex screens placed between tables are. I can see that the counter to ceiling type that you see in retail settings might be of help to the staff behind them though.

There'll be various enquiries into the handling of Covid. I do hope it won't all turn out to be slinging mud at those who have had to make unenviable decisions (and inevitably got some wrong) in difficult circumstances.

It would be good to know, for the benefit of handling future epedemics, (assuming the information is there to be found) how cases were infected and which measures were actually effective in preventing infections. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

future epedemics,

Anymore lockdowns and there will be no money to pay for the NHS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Anymore lockdowns and there will be no money to pay for the NHS.

Indeed. Let's hope we learn enough not to have to do it in future. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's interesting Stephen. We've often wondered, when eating out (when permitted) how effective the perspex screens placed between tables are.

Now don't get me wrong, I thoroughly approve of screens in delicatessens to stop kids and selfish adults coughing & spluttering over the displayed food LOL But as a Covid preventer, not so much...

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It's a bit academic for those of us who do it anyway. My point was it's perhaps not that effective against a largely air borne respiratory virus like Covid, compared to germs that spread on surfaces, yet fear of Covid has got people doing it, which is a good thing anyway.

So we went round Edinburgh's Real Mary Kings Close yesterday and they talked about how during the bubonic plague years things they did to fight what they thought was the cause of the illness inadvertently protected them from the real cause.

And also, because of covid, we had to stand in certain places in groups of up to four.  This actually meant we all got to see everything rather than being massed in one big huddle all getting in each others way.

There have been some positives from this pandemic.  Accelerating the move away from presenteeism towards hybrid working is fantastic.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

So we went round Edinburgh's Real Mary Kings Close yesterday and they talked about how during the bubonic plague years things they did to fight what they thought was the cause of the illness inadvertently protected them from the real cause.

Sounds interesting, Guy.

If you've not been already, the Thackray Medical Museum in Leeds is well worth a visit and tells a similar story about the fight against cholera.

16 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

So we went round Edinburgh's Real Mary Kings Close yesterday and they talked about how during the BORIS plague years

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh.

As said, there has been some good things come out of Covid.
Working from home should be much easier for those who can and want it, many companies pre-pandemic told staff it would be impossible to WFH, that reasoning  has gone out the window now.

People have more respect for personal space, and I'm sure a lot more people know their neighbours now.

Now long the benefits will last as people return to their self absorbed lives is a different question.

I did like this I saw on twitter.

E7OBZMCWEAEg73x.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I keep seeing the statement below from the ONS repeated in the media (it's in the Times today, for example). Don't know if it's just me, but I feel that this is open to misrepresentation, and could be interpreted as suggesting that 90% use a face covering whenever they leave the house. I could accept that 90% may use a face covering IN SOME SETTINGS and have just emailed the ONS to suggest that they add that qualification to future statements.

This week, over the period 4 to 8 August 2021, based on adults in Great Britain:

• The proportion of adults reporting to wear face coverings when outside their home (90%) fell slightly this week when compared with last week (92%), as did the percentage of adults who always or often maintain social distancing (49% this week, 53% last week).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I did my shopping yesterday, I'd say 60% or less are still wearing a facemask in stores, and outside I'd go for 2% still wearing a mask

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

When I did my shopping yesterday, I'd say 60% or less are still wearing a facemask in stores, and outside I'd go for 2% still wearing a mask

Certainly I see very few wearing one outdoors (unless going between a couple of situations - such as "healthcare settings" - where compulsory). I do see the odd one miles from any crowds, though - I think I mentioned seeing someone while I was walking along the coast on the Cleveland Way.

Shopping seems to vary. The Co-op has a "feel free to wear a face covering it you wish" sign, so most seem to feel free not to! Other stores have "please wear a face covering if you are able" or similar, so it seems most people do.  Human nature is to "go with the flow" though, and I wonder how much that influences what people do, compared to how they perceive risk of Covid and effectiveness of masks against it. 

I mentioned in another thread that I'd been for an eye test recently. As a "healthcare setting" the opticians had a sign requesting face coverings if possible, so I've no problem with that. When I got into the examination room, though, the ophthalmologist asked if I was ok with no masks as everything kept steaming up and he couldn't see what he was doing - so off they came!😃 

• Like 2

I still haven't worn one since June 21st, with a Covid droplet at 10μ and the average old sock/t-shirt weave at 100μ , it's kinda like trying to eat soup using a fork! Unless you use a FFP3 mask which is 100% efficient, the government mandated 'face covering' is nothing more than political theater...

• Haha 1

As you probably know I think that's a totally disingenuous argument as the masks are not meant to filter that way and don't need to do be effective in minimising the risk of spreading. 

I wonder if we'd have less of a pingdemic if we had continued with mask wearing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

As you probably know I think that's a totally disingenuous argument as the masks are not meant to filter that way and don't need to do be effective in minimising the risk of spreading. 

Maybe someone should have a word to that end with Boris!

• Like 1

Aye I think we agree on that one.😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I still haven't worn one since June 21st, with a Covid droplet at 10μ and the average old sock/t-shirt weave at 100μ , it's kinda like trying to eat soup using a fork! Unless you use a FFP3 mask which is 100% efficient, the government mandated 'face covering' is nothing more than political theater...

I haven’t worn a mask since July 19th.As the weeks go by I have seen less mask wearing but it continues to be high.I’m beginning to think there is a mask wearing competition.I’ll leave the criteria up to you guys😀

• Like 1

How about ‘last mask wearer standing,“ ha ha.Anyone hear thinks some will be wearing a mask in shops this time next year😀

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, williamweb said:

How about ‘last mask wearer standing,“ ha ha.Anyone hear thinks some will be wearing a mask in shops this time next year😀

You have to remember that as stubborn as you guys are about NOT wearing them, there are others just as stubborn about wearing them! :tongue:  

This time next year we'll be on the Omega variant and considering which alphabet to move to for the next one...  :laugh: 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You have to remember that as stubborn as you guys are about NOT wearing them, there are others just as stubborn about wearing them! :tongue:  

Tom, I have no issue whatsoever at others wearing a mask, it's their choice - but that is my point, it should be their 'choice', not mandated by a lying, and often incompetent government...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

This time next year we'll be on the Omega variant and considering which alphabet to move to for the next one...  :laugh: 

“Mask Wearer’s United Forever Are Us”.😀

• Haha 1

Masks are to help to stop the person wearing it spreading the virus, not to stop the wearer catching it. The reason behind the mandate is because some people just don't give a %&£$ if they are spreading it around. A change of self serving attitude is needed. We have a huge problem with people thinking they won't die so why bother.

We have seen people in Asia/ China wearing masks for decades, if they have symptoms of a virus they wear a mask to stop the spread, it a cultural thing  and we are stuck with the Me Me Me attitude.

Personally I equate it with crossing the road, there is no legislation saying I should look both ways before cross, but I'm certainly going to do that, others seem to think they can blindly walk in front of a on coming bus and their "freedom" to do so will protect them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

The reason behind the mandate is because some people just don't give a %&£$ if they are spreading it around.

Yep, that's me! The same way that with my mum in an acute stroke ward in hospital I'm allowed one hour visit per week, despite her being double jabbed, and me being double jabbed, and every nurse/dr being double jabbed. The whole thing is a nonsense. Don't know who they are trying to protect! Maybe the vaccine is a huge con and doesn't work after all??

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 9:37 AM, Mark-UK said:

Masks are to help to stop the person wearing it spreading the virus, not to stop the wearer catching it. The reason behind the mandate is because some people just don't give a %&£$ if they are spreading it around. A change of self serving attitude is needed. We have a huge problem with people thinking they won't die so why bother.

We have seen people in Asia/ China wearing masks for decades, if they have symptoms of a virus they wear a mask to stop the spread, it a cultural thing  and we are stuck with the Me Me Me attitude.

Personally I equate it with crossing the road, there is no legislation saying I should look both ways before cross, but I'm certainly going to do that, others seem to think they can blindly walk in front of a on coming bus and their "freedom" to do so will protect them.

We don’t live in communist China.Vaccination is the only way out of this to stop people dying.Masks are a waste of time unless  medical grade.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stephen  there is no question some of the rules have been ridiculous and badly implemented by many venues / organizations. I totally agree that in a situation as you describe a one hour visit per week is outrageous. I can't understand why after 19 July those rules are still in place, a very quick search and it looks like each hospital trust has decided how to lift restriction,  I saw Birmingham follow rule similar to yours, yet Papworth , East and North Herts NHS Trusts just say you must wear a provided mask when visiting

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club