Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Bet Headlight Bulbs Named

artscot79

Whenever HIDs are mentioned (especially aftermarket) there is always a lot of excitement and debate on the forums. I thought I would post on here with some measurements taken from a range of light sources. This data is from the Consumers' Association (who publish Which? magazine) and was published March 2010. The car used for the tests was a new model Vauxhall Astra fitted with either OE HID's or H7 Halogen bulbs. The light intensity readings are in Lux.

The readings are dipped beam intensity (Lux) and main beam intensity (Lux) for the different types of light sources.

Factory OE H7 Halogen.....................91.........................48

Factory HID...........................................164......................131

Philips X-treme +80%........................102......................62

Halfords SuperBrilliance +50%..........90......................62

Halfords Standard H7...........................78.....................64

Osram Nighbreaker +90%................97........................63

Bosch Pure Light................................141......................55

So the best halogen light source seems to be the Bosch Pure. These cost about £22 a pair. They are not far behind the factory HID's. It is fair to assume that aftermarket HID's would come somewhere above the Bosch Pure and below the factory HID's. The HID's really seem to win out on main beam performance where they are significantly brighter than halogens.bearing in mind the cost of aftermarket hids its clear to see that with these bosch bulbs you get almost as good light for a heck of a lot less than fitting hids also leds were tested and found to be useless they will fail an mot as the beam pattern is almost non existent so beware when fitting led headlight bulbs the chances are they will cause the vehicle to fail so if you must fit them carry a spare set of bulbs normal ones in the boot it was also found that the warm up time of hids were a factor in that the first 5 minutes use made them pointless as they were still warming up all tests were done by which

Thanks for publishing this, is very useful for choosing the best bulbs, do Bosch do a variation on there bulbs i.e Bright White or Xenon Effect (Blue). just done a quick search on E-bay and theres not much choice.

Where are Bosch selling these?

Cheers

Damien

i wonder where halfords extreme brilliance +90% bulbs would come on this

after lots and lots of googling they are 97 lux so the same as the Osram Nighbreaker +90% and from what i can make out they are supplied by osram so its most likely they are rebranded nightbreaker bulbs

do Bosch do a variation on there bulbs i.e Bright White or Xenon Effect (Blue). just done a quick search on E-bay and theres not much choice.

as you can see from the table they are mega white pure white light i know ive got them fitted and are brighter than my old xenon effect you only get the pure light to be frank you wouldnt need them to be anything else i got them from my local mot station 8.99 each as one of my old bulbs was out (i always check before it goes in) 17.98 for the 2 including vat

I have Philips X-Treme for dipped, and am very pleased with them

I've never heard of the Bosch Pure Light range before, and will consider these if and when one of the X-Treme H7's go.

For general information, you can get aftermarket HIDs for under £30 these days. I fitted a set to my old Celica, and its a very easy job.

BUT: aftermarket HIDs are illegal unless you go to huge expense to install an automatic headlight levelling system and headlight washers. So its possible that plod can pull you over and fine you and order you to uninstall them.

HOWEVER: they are ok as far as MOT is concerned as long as they are yellow-to-white in colour (8000K's are the absolute borderline) and the beam pattern is within the correct limits.

4300K's offer far better visibility compared to 6000K

6000K look nicer by giving off a purer white light (slightly blue tinged)

I tried both on my Celica, and I would go for the 4300K's every time, but look more yellowish (similar to standard halogens, but slightly whiter)

I cant seem to find those Bosch Pure Light anywhere. Not even on eBay. Does anyone have a link for a set?

I have Philips X-Treme for dipped, and am very pleased with them

I've never heard of the Bosch Pure Light range before, and will consider these if and when one of the X-Treme H7's go.

For general information, you can get aftermarket HIDs for under £30 these days. I fitted a set to my old Celica, and its a very easy job.

BUT: aftermarket HIDs are illegal unless you go to huge expense to install an automatic headlight levelling system and headlight washers. So its possible that plod can pull you over and fine you and order you to uninstall them.

HOWEVER: they are ok as far as MOT is concerned as long as they are yellow-to-white in colour (8000K's are the absolute borderline) and the beam pattern is within the correct limits.

4300K's offer far better visibility compared to 6000K

6000K look nicer by giving off a purer white light (slightly blue tinged)

I tried both on my Celica, and I would go for the 4300K's every time, but look more yellowish (similar to standard halogens, but slightly whiter)

I cant seem to find those Bosch Pure Light anywhere. Not even on eBay. Does anyone have a link for a set?

all i find is how good they are i got mine from farmers autocentre who sell them at 8.99 each which is better than the 22 quid they are meant to sell at i have to admit they are no different to look at than my xenon bulbs but at night driving its very noticeable i can see far more of the road in front and to the sides and they dont have that yellow look some bulbs do other than the fact i got them from the garage i can find them nowhere when looking

Bit off topic but its about headlights, whats the best way to adjust as in work out the correct level there supposed to be at because mine are wayyyyy to low they act as fog lights but i found a calculation out on the web and did that and the fog light effect was the result.

Rather than just winding up the turner on the back of the lights (angel eyes dont have motors :( ) id rather no a correct method if there is one other than taking it into a garage.

Mike

Bit off topic but its about headlights, whats the best way to adjust as in work out the correct level there supposed to be at because mine are wayyyyy to low they act as fog lights but i found a calculation out on the web and did that and the fog light effect was the result.

Rather than just winding up the turner on the back of the lights (angel eyes dont have motors :( ) id rather no a correct method if there is one other than taking it into a garage.

Mike

A garage wont charge much at all for this.

However, to do it yourself, do you know anyone else near you with a focus? If so get them to park about 10 feet from a wall and put their headlights on. Then stick tape to the wall on the line of light. Then park in the same spot and put yours on, and adjust accordingly.

A garage wont charge much at all for this.

However, to do it yourself, do you know anyone else near you with a focus? If so get them to park about 10 feet from a wall and put their headlights on. Then stick tape to the wall on the line of light. Then park in the same spot and put yours on, and adjust accordingly.

My dads got a mk3 mondey st220 so going to back that out of the garage, shut the doors and park mine next to it and go of that i think his are self leveling though :unsure: gah il do that tonight if it stops raning and see how it goes from there, the cars hardly used at night anymore so only just found out, there a doddle to do myself anyway just need a screwdriver and a bit of care and its done. Simples

Was just wondering if there was a simple easy way to do it if the above fails il take it down the local and give him a tenner and say do these or il raise my hand!

Mike

My dads got a mk3 mondey st220 so going to back that out of the garage, shut the doors and park mine next to it and go of that i think his are self leveling though unsure.gif gah il do that tonight if it stops raning and see how it goes from there, the cars hardly used at night anymore so only just found out, there a doddle to do myself anyway just need a screwdriver and a bit of care and its done. Simples

Was just wondering if there was a simple easy way to do it if the above fails il take it down the local and give him a tenner and say do these or il raise my hand!

Mike

its about the beam pattern by adjusting it youve thrown that to buggery take it into a garage and just say to the guy that you fiddled around youll be lucky if they take a tenner they can adjust them using the calibration machine that tests the beam pattern

its about the beam pattern by adjusting it youve thrown that to buggery take it into a garage and just say to the guy that you fiddled around youll be lucky if they take a tenner they can adjust them using the calibration machine that tests the beam pattern

FOR F***S SAKE why is nothin ever bloodey simple :blink:

Mike

Sod it the focus is goin im taking the plundge and getting an astra coupe

FOR F***S SAKE why is nothin ever bloodey simple blink.gif

Mike

Sod it the focus is goin im taking the plundge and getting an astra coupe

wouldnt theyre crap the front brakes axle and suspension give lots of bother the belt on the 1.8 must have been changed check for cracked manifolds the interior is a s dull as it gets its really uncomfortable on bumpy roads as its 30mm lower than standard There are four four engines to choose from, all petrol. At the bottom of the range, the 99bhp 1.6 is for those who prefer a slower pace, but the 123bhp 1.8 has just enough power to feel nippy.

On the other hand, the 144bhp 2.2 has plenty of go, and the 2.0-litre turbo is genuinely rapid, delivering near-150mph performance.

Of these various options, the 2.2 is probably the best bet. It’s quick enough, has reasonable fuel economy and doesn’t attract massive insurance premiums. It's also the only option if you want a coupe with an automatic gearbox.

Fuel economy is good, for a start, with the 1.6 delivering 42mpg, and the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo returning 35mpg and 31mpg respectively. The 2.2-litre option delivers a reasonable 34mpg.

Insurance premiums are competitive for the class, but as with all coupes they are generally high. The 1.6 starts in group 9 and the Turbo comes in at 15. The 1.8 and 2.2 sit at 11 and 13.

The coupe's service intervals of every 10,000 miles are par for the course, but Vauxhall dealers aren’t known for their high prices, so that will cushion the blow. However, you will also need to budget for timing belt changes (every 40,000 miles), so check when it was last done.

Astras have a reasonable reliability rating and a low average cost of repairs. When things do go wrong the brakes, engine and axle/suspension problems are the usual culprits.

When you come to look over any potential buy, check when the timing belt was last changed and have a look at the exhaust manifold on the 1.8-litre engine, which can crack and necessitates a new catalytic converter as part of the repair. Power steering pumps can also fail on high-mileage cars.

Other things to watch out for include damp front footwell carpets (moisture can get in via the ventilation system), while uneven tyre wear can be a sign of suspension misalignment and might indicate a bigger problem.

my mate had a gold one and though it looked nice it was junk he had the 1.8 and it just wasnt a great car to drive dont think vauxhalls have ever been they dont like corners like the focus does even though its lowered

wouldnt theyre crap the front brakes axle and suspension give lots of bother the belt on the 1.8 must have been changed check for cracked manifolds the interior is a s dull as it gets its really uncomfortable on bumpy roads as its 30mm lower than standard There are four four engines to choose from, all petrol. At the bottom of the range, the 99bhp 1.6 is for those who prefer a slower pace, but the 123bhp 1.8 has just enough power to feel nippy.

On the other hand, the 144bhp 2.2 has plenty of go, and the 2.0-litre turbo is genuinely rapid, delivering near-150mph performance.

Of these various options, the 2.2 is probably the best bet. It’s quick enough, has reasonable fuel economy and doesn’t attract massive insurance premiums. It's also the only option if you want a coupe with an automatic gearbox.

Fuel economy is good, for a start, with the 1.6 delivering 42mpg, and the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo returning 35mpg and 31mpg respectively. The 2.2-litre option delivers a reasonable 34mpg.

Insurance premiums are competitive for the class, but as with all coupes they are generally high. The 1.6 starts in group 9 and the Turbo comes in at 15. The 1.8 and 2.2 sit at 11 and 13.

The coupe's service intervals of every 10,000 miles are par for the course, but Vauxhall dealers aren’t known for their high prices, so that will cushion the blow. However, you will also need to budget for timing belt changes (every 40,000 miles), so check when it was last done.

Astras have a reasonable reliability rating and a low average cost of repairs. When things do go wrong the brakes, engine and axle/suspension problems are the usual culprits.

When you come to look over any potential buy, check when the timing belt was last changed and have a look at the exhaust manifold on the 1.8-litre engine, which can crack and necessitates a new catalytic converter as part of the repair. Power steering pumps can also fail on high-mileage cars.

Other things to watch out for include damp front footwell carpets (moisture can get in via the ventilation system), while uneven tyre wear can be a sign of suspension misalignment and might indicate a bigger problem.

my mate had a gold one and though it looked nice it was junk he had the 1.8 and it just wasnt a great car to drive dont think vauxhalls have ever been they dont like corners like the focus does even though its lowered

From what ive been told the 1.8 is the one to go for i know people who have them and theyve taken them past 130k with no bother at all just the usual wear and tear. When my cousin's 106 fell apart he sourced out a gold 2002 1.8 coupe and had that a fair while now, done all the belts etc but its due a clucth very soon as its slipping every now and then but then again its done 75k other than that its been a dream to own. I would buy his but i absoutly 110% hate that baby !Removed! gold colour its just nasty and recks the whole car.

Chances are il end up with a 1.8 aswell being insurance group 9 rather than the 2.2's group 11 and the cheaper tax is a big appeal, I know il have to sacrafise on the handling front but the coupe more than makes up for it by looking good and being such a reasonable price to buy. Il be looking around the 3000-4000 mark with as little miles as possible and it will NEED full leather and service history etc no dodgey ones or ones with imshirmer parts on what so ever! Idealy from a garage rather than a driveway aswell would be nice.

To the insurance companys now to get some quotes wish me luck.

Mike

From what ive been told the 1.8 is the one to go for i know people who have them and theyve taken them past 130k with no bother at all just the usual wear and tear. When my cousin's 106 fell apart he sourced out a gold 2002 1.8 coupe and had that a fair while now, done all the belts etc but its due a clucth very soon as its slipping every now and then but then again its done 75k other than that its been a dream to own. I would buy his but i absoutly 110% hate that baby !Removed! gold colour its just nasty and recks the whole car.

Chances are il end up with a 1.8 aswell being insurance group 9 rather than the 2.2's group 11 and the cheaper tax is a big appeal, I know il have to sacrafise on the handling front but the coupe more than makes up for it by looking good and being such a reasonable price to buy. Il be looking around the 3000-4000 mark with as little miles as possible and it will NEED full leather and service history etc no dodgey ones or ones with imshirmer parts on what so ever! Idealy from a garage rather than a driveway aswell would be nice.

To the insurance companys now to get some quotes wish me luck.

Mike

whats wrong wih the focus?

whats wrong wih the focus?

To be honest, nothing im just bored to death of it my inner child is screaming for me to get something nutty like a 306 gti-6, astra coupe, fiesta st you know the teenage years the need for a hot hatch or a coupe even if you only keep it for 6 months due to bankruptcy you can always look back and say "yeah i had one of them".

Got a quote for my cus's astra 1.8 bertone edtion coupe on an 02 plate "not modded HA" £2,225 even the bloke on the phone who rung me was like "bugger me sideways that for a 1.8"

Theres nothing wrong with the ford its a dependible car and as 1st cars do its perfect in every way im just bored rigid with it it needs a turbo charger or something to give me the old thrills lol.

Mike

• 1 year later...

If you want fun, then get out of the hatch market, head along and have a look at a rear-wheel drive car. MX-5s are a good halfway house, or save a little more for an S2000, Z4 , VX220 or Elise.

If insurance is an issue, focus on the MX-5 as they are cheap as chips to insure and respectable at the fuel pump.

If 2 seats are an issue, disregard all I have said above.

If you do go down the Astra Coupe route, go with the 2.2 and search Z22SE. The 2.2 is a cracking engine and with a little tinkering can be made into a barnstormer. 250bhp is easily attainable with a wee mechanical fan, and 300bhp with a little heart surgery - plus this is usable power, rather than lumpy turbo-charged power. ;)

If you want fun, then get out of the hatch market, head along and have a look at a rear-wheel drive car. MX-5s are a good halfway house, or save a little more for an S2000, Z4 , VX220 or Elise.

If insurance is an issue, focus on the MX-5 as they are cheap as chips to insure and respectable at the fuel pump.

If 2 seats are an issue, disregard all I have said above.

If you do go down the Astra Coupe route, go with the 2.2 and search Z22SE. The 2.2 is a cracking engine and with a little tinkering can be made into a barnstormer. 250bhp is easily attainable with a wee mechanical fan, and 300bhp with a little heart surgery - plus this is usable power, rather than lumpy turbo-charged power. ;)

You appear to have replied to a post about a year and a half old ... i'm only new here, so i'm not sure if the guys still kicking about, but he seemed to have ants in his pants about getting something new, so i'm not sure that part of the post is still relavant

On the upside, I did learn about lightbulbs :-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club