Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Towing with Ford Edge Powershift

Adrian Appleyard

I am in the market for another car and I quite like the Ford Edge.  However, it needs to be capable of towing a caravan with a Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass of 1565kg. ( Swift Challenger Sport 590). My current vehicle is a Kia Sedona with the 2.9 Merc engine fitted which has 184bhp which I have had from almost new and its been amazing. But fancy a change and looking very seriously at the Ford Edge 2.0 TDCi Vignale Powershift AWD (s/s) 5dr  or  2.0 TDCi Sport Powershift AWD (s/s) 5dr.   Must be 207bhp.   So my question to current owners is: What is the Ford Edge Powershift like at towing large caravans at 1.6 metric tons ?

Kind regards - Adrian (Leeds)

My 2016 Sport Auto 210PS tows a Swift Challenger 560 (MTPLM 1550Kg) like a dream. On hills, it's better in sport mode as it tends to hold on to the gears too long in Drive. There are some on the Facebook groups that tow up to 1800Kg and say it does a fine job!

Just need to be aware that the max nose weight on the Edge is 90Kg (car, not tow ball limited), but 1550Kg at 85Kg is good.

• Like 1

I tow a bailey pamplona 1700kgs . Tows a dream I forget it's on the back at times . Until the passenger seat driver reminds me .🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 5:56 PM, simonb65 said:

My 2016 Sport Auto 210PS tows a Swift Challenger 560 (MTPLM 1550Kg) like a dream. On hills, it's better in sport mode as it tends to hold on to the gears too long in Drive. There are some on the Facebook groups that tow up to 1800Kg and say it does a fine job!

Just need to be aware that the max nose weight on the Edge is 90Kg (car, not tow ball limited), but 1550Kg at 85Kg is good.

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

22 hours ago, nickblackedge said:

I tow a bailey pamplona 1700kgs . Tows a dream I forget it's on the back at times . Until the passenger seat driver reminds me .🤣🤣

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

• 3 weeks later...

i tow a compass rallye 644 twin axle with mine and it tows like a dream just be aware that you do need to change auto gearbox oil and filter every three years and its not cheap at £550 a time and most non ford garages will not touch it as i have just found out but still love mine i have just extended my ford service plan another three years today for £18 per month all in including mot cover 

• 8 months later...

tow a bailey unicorn its up near 1600 kg. my edge tows as good as my old x5 with far better mpg

• 2 weeks later...

Deleted post as I've already answered this last year ... Doh!

Edited by simonb65
Deleted post as I've already answered this last year ... Doh!

I own a for Edge 238bhp and it tows a Swift Aventura SQ6 EB double axel caravan with no problems at all. 

I used to tow an Adria Adora Isonzo 1800kg with my 210ps 17 plate edge powershift, no problms at all.