Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Tone Horns A Couple Of Questions

DavesEdge

Hi All

Have now decided to tackle my horns problem as have gone back to single tone working, after another 1d1ot driver pulled out on me couple of days ago.

My questions are:-

What is the Ford part number for the horns?

Is there an english (Uk) version of the workshop manual available, as the copy I have shows the horns below headlight, whereas I found them below the front panel above the radiator?

And on a seperate note - Am having immense trouble with my mobile and tapatalk with not being able to log on, view content. Is it just me, or anyone else having problems?

Happy motoring.

Stay safe

Dave

One of those 3 part number I guess. haven't figured out which one yet though, to do with different markets I'm guessing. 

The front bumper needs to come off to access horns. 

Screenshot_20201212-140635.png

26 minutes ago, iantt said:

One of those 3 part number I guess. haven't figured out which one yet though, to do with different markets I'm guessing. 

The front bumper needs to come off to access horns. 

Screenshot_20201212-140635.png

Hi @iantt

Thanks for the info.

When I partially stripped down my car to locate horns, I found that the horns were actually mounted on the underside of the front top cross beam above radiator.

And are literally positioned right behind the very top of the grill, so I don't think at the moment that the front bumper has to come off.

Though until I actually fit replacements, I could be wrong with the bumper.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

32 minutes ago, DavesEdge said:

Hi @iantt

Thanks for the info.

When I partially stripped down my car to locate horns, I found that the horns were actually mounted on the underside of the front top cross beam above radiator.

And are literally positioned right behind the very top of the grill, so I don't think at the moment that the front bumper has to come off.

Though until I actually fit replacements, I could be wrong with the bumper.

Happy motoring

Stay safe

Dave

I will check the etis instructions later  and let you know what's required to get to horns. 

I checked and it says to remove bumper and active grille shutter assy to access the horn assy. 

The garage time to replace the horn is 1.6 hrs so not a 5 minute job with easy access. 

I had my horn replaced under warranty when it became a "mono" beep beep

The front bumper came off for this, as the dealer rang me at 5pm to say i couldn't have the car back that day, because the bumper was off!

On 12/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, iantt said:

I checked and it says to remove bumper and active grille shutter assy to access the horn assy. 

The garage time to replace the horn is 1.6 hrs so not a 5 minute job with easy access. 

crazy just to change horn - every thing seems to be shoe horned in modern cars gone are the days you could climb into an engine bay.

56 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

crazy just to change horn - every thing seems to be shoe horned in modern cars gone are the days you could climb into an engine bay.

It's almost as if they're designed for material efficiency nowadays! :wink:  Makes me laugh seeing a 1.3 Capri engine bay! :laugh: 

How can Ford make electric horns so badly nowadays?  They've been around for nearly a century...  They kept breaking on the Mk3 Focus as well.

Hi All

Have not tried yet, but another look at horns location leads me to think that by removing N/S headlight assy, and the trim ontop of the front top cross beam above radiator.

I could then get horns out with a bit of jiggling.

Though like I said earlier wont know for sure until I try.

Am also thinking of some after market horns instead, so how can I find out decibel rating of factory fit horns, any ideas?

Ps - am still unable to use tapatalk on my mobile for whatever reason, so can only read replies/comments when on my home pc.

That is when I am at home due to pandemic and being classed as key worker.

Stay safe

Happy motoring

Dave

Good luck jiggling it out. I honestly think you won't get it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, eddiek said:

Removing the headlamp and centre cover is the way to go.  See Here

Hi All

@eddiek I looked at that YT video, but it is for an American Edge (At least I think it is from what I can work out).

If you look at the horn mounting bolt pictures you will see where my horns are mounted.

As I said earlier, when I looked, my horns are below the front cross radiator support?

Not sure if this is what it's function is or what it is called, but that is what I shall call it for this.

I have now replaced my horns, I went for a pair of aftermarket horns from amazon, as I fitted a pair of these to one of my previous cars and had no problems with them.

I managed this by doing the following (did not remove bumper, though was prepared to do if necessary):-

1. Remove top trim from front cross radiator support.

2. Remove N/S headlight assembly.

3. Removed horn's bracket bolt.

4. Jiggled out horns from access area as I called it (see Access Area pictures).

5. As the horn nuts cleared the front cross radiator support, I removed the mounting nut to remove single horn from bracket.

6. Repeated 5. above for 2nd horn.

7. Refitted new horns in reverse order of removal, tested working ok.

8. Re-jiggled horns back into place, replaced bracket bolt.

9. Refitted headlight etc, checking operation of lights etc.

10. Test drive, playing with horn in quiet bits of road, working ok.

Hopefully 4 pictures attached of where I gained access to change horns.

Stay safe.

Happy motoring

Dave

1602779448_AccessAreaUsedToRemoveAndReplaceHorns1.jpg

672001536_AccessAreaUsedToRemoveAndReplaceHorns.jpg

321674751_HornMountingBoltTopTrimRemovedSideView.jpg

1064198610_HornMountingBoltTopTrimRemoved.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club