Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re-Progam Key Fob Problems

Bulletguy

OK.....hope Artyscot or anyone else can help out here!

As previously posted my car (typically :rolleyes: ) only came with one key. Not very clever as lose that and i'm up the creek. So I bought another fob off eBay making sure that it was the identical matching fob number to my original fob.

It arrived today and I fitted a new battery plus freshly cut key.

I had previously read Artscots post regarding programming of key fobs plus checking the owners manual description.

I followed the procedure only to find that 1) my new key would not work at all and 2) i'd completely knocked out the remote central locking system from my old key.

Fortunately the old key will start the car.......but thats about all! :rolleyes:

I can now only lock the doors manually and for some odd reason tonight when leaving work, could only gain access via the passenger door!

Where do I go from here guys?

Hi,

When adding a remote fob using the II to O four times process you have to re-add your old fob(s) as well.

So do the routine again and press a button on your old fob and it should work again.

Roger

Hi,

When adding a remote fob using the II to O four times process you have to re-add your old fob(s) as well.

So do the routine again and press a button on your old fob and it should work again.

Roger

yeah go from II-0 four times youll hear the noise press the button on the old fob first youll hear a noise confirming it now within 2 seconds of that noise press the button on the new fob and youll hear a noise now turn the ignition on and then off again to exit learn mode and try them now

As the old original fob is now not working correctly (as described in post), do I have to now reprogramme this key first....and then the additional fob second?

I don't think it matters what order you do them in as long as you press a button on each fob while in "learn mode"

I don't think it matters what order you do them in as long as you press a button on each fob while in "learn mode"

as said in another post if you have 1 key and you try to priogramme a new kkey not the fob the key you cant as you need 2 keys to programme a new key in

as said in another post if you have 1 key and you try to programme a new key not the fob the key you cant as you need 2 keys to programme a new key in

Hmmmmm.......can you clarify this more Arty because i'm still having problems.

For ease of reference I will call my original key which came with the car, key 1....and the fob i've recently bought off eBay as key 2.

First I got Key 1 reprogrammed and that now works fully the central locking and boot lid.

Then I tried to programme Key 2 via the same procedure, but all that succeeded in doing was disabling the remote functions of Key 1.

I have now once again reprogrammed Key 1 and left it so at least I still have one fully functioning working key, but am now left wondering why/how I get this other key to recognise the coding and actually work! As far as I can see I have followed exactly what you guys told me and also what is says in the manual.....but i'm getting nowhere!

Hmmmmm.......can you clarify this more Arty because i'm still having problems.

For ease of reference I will call my original key which came with the car, key 1....and the fob i've recently bought off ebay as key 2.

First I got Key 1 reprogrammed and that now works fully the central locking and boot lid.

Then I tried to programme Key 2 via the same procedure, but all that succeeded in doing was disabling the remote functions of Key 1.

I have now once again reprogrammed Key 1 and left it so at least I still have one fully functioning working key, but am now left wondering why/how I get this other key to recognise the coding and actually work! As far as I can see I have followed exactly what you guys told me and also what is says in the manual.....but i'm getting nowhere!

very strange i havent encounterd this before if you were near by ide nip round and have a go all i can say is if you have used key 1 to switch ignition on and off 4 times till you hear the bong than pressed the remote button on key one then quickl;y press the button on key 2 then switcvh the ignition on and off it should be working unless someones already coded 4 remotes to the car previously

I'' be watching the outcome of this, as we're stuck with only one key on our Puma too.

Can I quickly check (not worth a new thread) that I can still change the battery in this one without fear of it losing its identity? I just have to do it quick, right? 30 secs or something?

That'll give me peace of mind to get replacements done at Ford Fair, if not from eBay beforehand.

Cheers in advance (and good luck with it, Bulletguy). :)

OK.....hope Artyscot or anyone else can help out here!

As previously posted my car (typically :rolleyes: ) only came with one key. Not very clever as lose that and i'm up the creek. So I bought another fob off eBay making sure that it was the identical matching fob number to my original fob.

It arrived today and I fitted a new battery plus freshly cut key.

I had previously read Artscots post regarding programming of key fobs plus checking the owners manual description.

I followed the procedure only to find that 1) my new key would not work at all and 2) i'd completely knocked out the remote central locking system from my old key.

Fortunately the old key will start the car.......but thats about all! :rolleyes:

I can now only lock the doors manually and for some odd reason tonight when leaving work, could only gain access via the passenger door!

Where do I go from here guys?

Hi Even if you get the new key to work the remote locking which is normally easy to do, it will not start the car due to the chip embedded in the key itself which will need replacing or cloning to match the original. There are locksmiths around who can do this, mine charges about £60.00 for a new chip and reprogramming.

Hope this helps

Neil

Hi Even if you get the new key to work the remote locking which is normally easy to do, it will not start the car due to the chip embedded in the key itself which will need replacing or cloning to match the original. There are locksmiths around who can do this, mine charges about £60.00 for a new chip and reprogramming.

Hope this helps

Neil

this s where im getting confused if you are trying to programme the key to start the car then you cant you need two standard keys to do it youreself plus the new key you want to programme unless as said above you get a locksmith who will code the car to the key rather than the key to the car for that you need only one key if were just reprogramming the remote fob than the steps above should work unless a maximum of 4 have already been programmed if so ford need to clear them from the system.

as for the puma it doesnt lose its identity from changing the battery mine was dead for months and worked no bother at all if you have only one key than any mobile locksmith in the yellow pages will come out and supply and cut a nd programme a new key and thay arent that expensive most local breakers keep keys if you find an old set with the remote attatched then take the remote and programme it to youre car ide advise you do get a key cut if that one gets too worn then you have problems locksmiths will have to then cut 2 keys not one from the barrell which can be costly

Hope this helps

Neil

Unfortunately I think you may well be right on this in my particular case. If so, even my local garage guy who is a Ford trained mechanic hasn't fully grasped the situation either! All I was told was that both fob id numbers must be identical (which they are).

A friend suggested trying again with the fully working key (Key 1) well away from the fob (Key 2) I am trying to programme. It was a good 15 or 20 metres away and I managed to programme the central locking....but it would not start the engine up!

So I am no further in this and so far it's cost me £20 for fob, battery, key blank and cutting.

Unfortunately I think you may well be right on this in my particular case. If so, even my local garage guy who is a Ford trained mechanic hasn't fully grasped the situation either! All I was told was that both fob id numbers must be identical (which they are).

A friend suggested trying again with the fully working key (Key 1) well away from the fob (Key 2) I am trying to programme. It was a good 15 or 20 metres away and I managed to programme the central locking....but it would not start the engine up!

So I am no further in this and so far it's cost me £20 for fob, battery, key blank and cutting.

right im getting you the fob will programme if the numbers are similar with the fob seperate from the blank and opened up it has various numbers on it inside the first is the frequency which is 433mhz at the bottom it will also have 315mhz unless 4 have already been done it should programme if its correct now because you programme the fob it will not make tha car start you had the key cut but in order to programme the key theres a different procedure to follow which can only be done at home if you have 2 original keys plus the new key without 2 original keys the only way to programme the new key is to geta mobile locksmith to do it while hes there he can do the fob for you as well as you said you only have 1 key so you cant programme a new key youreself the car should have come with a master key this is a black key with a blue square and the remote key the master key is the one that locksmiths would cut and programme a new key from if you ever lost that youde have a lot of trouble that key technically is an emergency key.

so in basics you need a mobile locksmith to connect a computer to the obd port who can then access the memory and delete fobs off the memory to programme the new one and to save the key into the car

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club