Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foglamps behaving a little randomly

Linds

I have a 2020 Titanium Focus Mk 4. This evening I had to illuminate an area where a friend of mine was doing some work ... leaving the engine running (on private land) I jumped out to help him with something and noticed the nearside foglamp was on.  Checked ... foglamps were not switched on.

Got into the car to reverse away and my friend told me both foglamps went on although they were still not turned on.  Changed to 1st and both foglamps went off.

Seems v strange to me.  I'll call the dealer but at this time of year I'm unlikely to get an appointment.  Anyone any idea what is going on?!

As background, about 2 or 3 weeks ago a pheasant hit my nearside foglamp and I have the dealer replace it.

Turning lights...come on when you turn, left when turning left and right when turnign right. You probably had some steering lock on to the left which is why the near side fog lamp was on.

• Thanks 1

Also the Foglamps come on when you reverse if your Headlamps are on, I have noticed that on other cars, not just Ford ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys are so kind to respond so v quickly - THANK YOU BOTH!  I guess I should have read the ruddy manual!

No problem. To be fair, the manual is not very clear on that subject. 

Handbooks can be a bit generic sometimes. Check the sales brochure too...

Focus Options.JPG

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tizer said:

the Foglamps come on when you reverse if your Headlamps are on

What on earth is the point of that? :shocking:

4 minutes ago, mjt said:

What on earth is the point of that? :shocking:

It lights the front corners so you can see where you are going

6 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Don't you mean where you've been? :laugh: 

I think the idea is that it illuminates walls etc as you swing the front end round.  Can't see it being overly useful without the lights mounted on the sides though!  And why both lights?  Surely that's just going to confuse on-coming cars and/or make you look a bit of a wally with fog lights on for seemingly no reason.

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I think the idea is that it illuminates walls etc as you swing the front end round.  Can't see it being overly useful without the lights mounted on the sides though! 

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

And why both lights?

Surely that's just going to confuse on-coming cars and/or make you look a bit of a wally with fog lights on for seemingly no reason.

That's what I meant🙃

Both lights because you swing both ways🤐

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I think the idea is that it illuminates walls etc as you swing the front end round.  Can't see it being overly useful without the lights mounted on the sides though!  And why both lights?  Surely that's just going to confuse on-coming cars and/or make you look a bit of a wally with fog lights on for seemingly no reason.

Yeah, would seem to make sense but as you say not much use ( I've never found the fog light solution to be great).

The cornering/turning lights on my Mondeo are in the headlights, in reverse they work the opposite to when driving forwards. So if I turn left in reverse the right cornering light comes on and illuminates out to the side so I can clearly see where the front is going to swing out to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveT70 said:

That's what I meant🙃

Both lights because you swing both ways🤐

Each to their own I guess! :wink:  Only one light comes on for front cornering though, why need both in reverse?  

29 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Strange, I'm usually looking behind when I'm reversing . . . . .

Seems to me more like the design engineers doing silly things with the software just because they can.

8 minutes ago, mjt said:

Strange, I'm usually looking behind when I'm reversing . . . . .

Most also check where the nose is pointing too when reversing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club