Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Peeling Paint ??

PeterBfd

Hi All,

I have noticed that the paint lacquer has started to peel of my car.

There is on the drivers rear door 1cm x 8cm in length (and getting bigger with every wash)

There is also a 1cm x 1cm area on the drivers side front door.

I have contacted the Ford garage I purchased the car from and they have stated that Ford only do a 12 months paint warranty.

Really, that does not sound right to me.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

The car is a 2016 Edge Sport.

I have also email Ford UK and are awaiting a responce.

Thanks Peter

20201219_131452.jpg

20201219_131504.jpg

The surface paint warranty is 3 years iirc. However as your car is now 4 years old, you're unlikely to even get a goodwill gesture given their initial response.

Fords are known for having softer paint than most. The bottom picture looks like it was caused by a jet wash to me.

• Like 1

So in conclusion you spend 20+k on a car and after 3 years when the paint starts to fall off, it's tuff, hard luck and see you later.

52 minutes ago, PeterBfd said:

So in conclusion you spend 20+k on a car and after 3 years when the paint starts to fall off, it's tuff, hard luck and see you later.

I have areas in my engine bay with sparse paint complained to ford and they said internal parts of car tend to have less paint especially if you have a premium colour and weren't interested in doing anything about it. Bought car 6 months old.

Think you might have an after market lacquer on your car. I certainly don't have a clear coating dont think its an option from ford.

I know its not what you want to hear but if it bothers you that much should be able to get it touched up at a body shop for about £250

1 hour ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Think you might have an after market lacquer on your car. I certainly don't have a clear coating dont think its an option from ford.

Really?? I thought Ford stopped doing single stage paints years ago lol... pretty much every glossy car is done with 2-stage otherwise the UV light from the sun ruins the paint. The lacquer is what gives the super glossy finish and durability. So yes it's not an option from Ford because it's essential unless you're using special single stage paint for a specific reason.

I've sprayed single stage (white) paint a while back and had quite a bit of trouble with it dulling over the year. 2-stage allows me to slap on 2-3 thick layers of lacquer so I can wet sand & cut it back to a mirror finish. Plus a quality 2k lacquer is way harder so stone chips etc. are less of a concern.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Really?? I thought Ford stopped doing single stage paints years ago lol... pretty much every glossy car is done with 2-stage otherwise the UV light from the sun ruins the paint. The lacquer is what gives the super glossy finish and durability. So yes it's not an option from Ford because it's essential unless you're using special single stage paint for a specific reason.

I've sprayed single stage (white) paint a while back and had quite a bit of trouble with it dulling over the year. 2-stage allows me to slap on 2-3 thick layers of lacquer so I can wet sand & cut it back to a mirror finish. Plus a quality 2k lacquer is way harder so stone chips etc. are less of a concern.

Many manufacturers use what’s called ‘two-pack’ paint, where the acrylic paint is mixed with an isocyanate hardening agent to form a superglue-type consistency, removing the need for a separate clear coat.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 11:50 PM, st line x 140 driver said:

Many manufacturers use what’s called ‘two-pack’ paint, where the acrylic paint is mixed with an isocyanate hardening agent to form a superglue-type consistency, removing the need for a separate clear coat.

Well done at copy & pasting lol. Most manufacturers (and spray painters) use a 2k solvent base coat followed by a 2k acrylic clear lacquer. The only exception to this I've seen on a modern Ford is the nitrous blue RS as you have to add the pearl effect on a separate coat.

Other than Lexus and a couple Japanese manufacturers I cant think of any cars I've come across that still use single stage paint.

The best way to tell if your paint is single stage is by polishing a small area. If the pad turns the colour of the paint then you have single stage. If not then you're polishing the top-coat.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Well done at copy & pasting lol.

bounce

Also be aware that if any lacquer or paint peeling occurs due to a stone chip, ford will not cover this even if it is within the 3 year warranty

I had this happen on my previous Galaxy that was only 6 months old

The lacquer started to peel in a small area on the front edge of the bonnet, and after the Ford dealer had taken photos and sent to Ford, they said it was due to a stone chip, so would not cover any repair.. 

3 year warranty? Just 12 months on paint work Ford are telling me. The quote I have received from a body shop are saying £780 to repair. It's an absolute joke.

8 hours ago, DAVEWILL5 said:

Also be aware that if any lacquer or paint peeling occurs due to a stone chip, ford will not cover this even if it is within the 3 year warranty

I had this happen on my previous Galaxy that was only 6 months old

The lacquer started to peel in a small area on the front edge of the bonnet, and after the Ford dealer had taken photos and sent to Ford, they said it was due to a stone chip, so would not cover any repair.. 

34 minutes ago, PeterBfd said:

The quote I have received from a body shop are saying £780 to repair. It's an absolute joke.

That'll be a quote for a full panel re-spray and blend I'd imagine. You might be able to find somewhere that will just re-lacquer the panels rather than re-doing the base coat as well. The problem with that is depending on how much exposure your current base coat has had (UV degradation etc.) you may end up with a poor looking repair and won't get as good of a bond compared to lacquering over fresh paint.

Having said all that, £780 sounds extortionate. I'd be expecting half that amount from an independent or back-street sprayer.

• Like 1

Received a quote of £280 (tbc once they look at it).

Popping down on Monday to see if they can do it for me.

Independent body shop local to me and has good reviews.

So fingers crossed......

I just posted this on an unrelated thread.

Toyota have recalled worldwide over 2 Million vehicles up to 14 years old with an inherent fault in 'Blizzard White' paintwork where because of an errant paint formula, it has aged/peeled prematurely. My neighbour just last month had his 13 year old car, a Toyota Aygo fully dealer resprayed!

I'm sure Ford are looking into this and will absolutely want to treat their customers in the same manner 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Very interesting, may look further into this (although don't fancy my chances in getting this sorted for free from Ford) In am now scared for washing the car now in case it get worse each time i wash

Without a physical examination it’s not easy to give a definitive answer but given the position of the damage on the door I would suggest that this is a stone chip which has started the lacquer to peel and damp or a pressure wash has led it to peel further. if it was a manufacturing problem Ford would pay but we really don’t see many issues of this type. I know it is a lot but I would go with the more expensive quote. Silver/grey is not easy to paint or match and it needs doing properly. 

H

Mine is white and it is just the laquer which is the issue. So assume colour matching shouldn't be an issue?

I have to get a better PC monitor.

H

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Just an update regarding laquer peel I had. 

Now had the door resprayed at a good body shop for £160 and it is a very good job.

Apparently the poor laquer is not down Fords paint. It was noticed when sanding down there were tar spots under the paint.

Therefore he said it must have had a scratch repair done before. However the previous body shop did not even bother to remove the tar spots before painting. 

Wow, there is some bad body shops out there but thankfully have found myself a good one now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club