Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Android experts out there, where's my memory gone?

StephenFord

I am new to Smartphone tech only indulging in it earlier this year., Can anyone tell me where a vast chunk of my phone memory has gone? As you can see from the screen shot, there is 26Gb used, 10Gb has gone to images, 2Gb to videos, and 3Gb to apps. That should leave me with about 10Gb left, but I only have 6Gb showing left. Is the Android OS really using 4Gb? (Even most Window systems aren't that bad LOL)

1063884661_phonememoryloss.thumb.png.3976d9e018082764e4ed240e00d7cd86.png

You’ve mostly answered your own question really. Yes it will be the OS. 

It also looks like the file manager is displaying the sd and internal storage in the advertised decimal calculation for capacity not binary. The formatted usable space by the system is usually more like 30GB not 32, so some might be that too. 

If you look at storage from the phones settings menu it should show the complete breakdown, using binary calculation and the amount the OS and cache is using. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You’ve mostly answered your own question really. Yes it will be the OS. 

It also looks like the file manager is displaying the sd and internal storage in the advertised decimal calculation for capacity not binary. The formatted usable space by the system is usually more like 30GB not 32, so some might be that too. 

If you look at storage from the phones settings menu it should show the complete breakdown, using binary calculation and the amount the OS and cache is using. 

Great answer, I actually understand most of it! As you can see, I have a bucket full of space in my SD card (over 120Gb). If I transfer all my images to it, will I still be able to access them from the phones inbuilt 'gallery' (really handy!) or if I want to scroll through them will I have to open FileManager and direct to the SD card? (Really not handy)

Yes it should still show up in gallery. You might have to give the gallery app permission to read the sd card if it’s not already pre programmed for that. 

You should also be able to change the default storage location in the camera app so it takes pictures straight to the sd card and you don’t need to move new ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Yes it should still show up in gallery. You might have to give the gallery app permission to read the sd card if it’s not already pre programmed for that. 

You should also be able to change the default storage location in the camera app so it takes pictures straight to the sd card and you don’t need to move new ones.

Brilliant! Thank you. Anytime you are over in NI, can you pop in and show me how to use a Smartphone LOL 🤣

If you look in settings and under security or maintenance you might have a option to clear the junk off your phone without losing any photos or important docs. 

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

If you look in settings and under security or maintenance you might have a option to clear the junk off your phone without losing any photos or important docs. 

Yep, I have 'ccleaner', and 'AVG anti virus' installed which regularly throws junk out for me... 😃

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club