Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 Kuga - air con keeps turning off

GDEvans
聽Share

Cool well I hope it works out for you, let me know how it goes 馃憤

• 2 weeks later...

Well, second visit to the workshop, and apparently the aircon switching off is not a fault. Ford issued a notice in January about this new 'fuel saving measure'......

20210727_143050.thumb.jpg.592e326c75df51cfe99f03e1b485cbbf.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

To be fair, even on cars where it stays lit all the time, that's just meant the HVAC can use it as it needs. It didn't run the compressor all the time.

I don't really understand why they changed the behvaiour of the light. It was already doing what they wanted to save fuel and the light being on all the time means it's "allowed" to run as needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

To be fair, even on cars where it stays lit all the time, that's just meant the HVAC can use it as it needs. It didn't run the compressor all the time.

I don't really understand why they changed the behvaiour of the light. It was already doing what they wanted to save fuel and the light being on all the time means it's "allowed" to run as needed.

I don't really understand the comment about fogging either, as sometimes the only way I realise the aircon is off is because the windows fog up! Won't save any fuel either, as soon as I notice it's off I turn it back on again.

12 minutes ago, ToneBone said:

... as soon as I notice it's off I turn it back on again.

I'm afraid it's a continuation of a 'nanny' state being widely propagated by our government. It appears people in power think that plebs are far too stupid to make their own decisions, so need their hand held at every step. Ford are just following government policy and don't trust the owners of their cars to make sensible decisions!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm afraid it's a continuation of a 'nanny' state being widely propagated by our government. It appears people in power think that plebs are far too stupid to make their own decisions, so need their hand held at every step. Ford are just following government policy and don't trust the owners of their cars to make sensible decisions!

It seems odd to me that the service department haven't seen this issue before, nor the salesman who sold me the car (and from what I can see online, only the originator of this thread has had the same issue). Looks very much like a problem that only affects some cars, and Ford don't know how to fix it! On my wife's Puma, delivered two weeks later, the aircon stays on all the time.

Must have missed this broadcast message 馃槄 service advisors and salesmen will be clueless to this, it states in the message this only affects new Kugas with the AC in auto mode so it's a possibility other people don't leave it in auto (or haven't noticed the light) or don't have a Kuga.聽

The reference to the fogging is that if you were to put the fans on the screen setting for example to clear it the AC light might not show it's on but it's still working聽

58 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

The reference to the fogging is that if you were to put the fans on the screen setting for example to clear it the AC light might not show it's on but it's still working聽

Ah, got it - thanks!

and can this deliberate screw-up be put right with ForScan ??? or are there no settings available to get the A/C to stay on like it used to ?

I would think in Hot climate countries (eg. Spain) would they put up with the A/C defaulting to off, or do there cars leave the A/C set the way the driver set it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem on my new 2021 Kuga FHEV. The air con turned itself off. It was resolved with a visit to the dealer. The HEPA filters were taking in water and required a fix. Air con now works properly. It鈥檚 not a recall item but one they said would be fixed upon customer request.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2021 at 1:48 PM, TimN said:

I had this problem on my new 2021 Kuga FHEV. The air con turned itself off. It was resolved with a visit to the dealer. The HEPA filters were taking in water and required a fix. Air con now works properly. It鈥檚 not a recall item but one they said would be fixed upon customer request.

I'm intrigued to know how they could聽fix what is now a standard feature?

Having said that, I can now see what they've done - basically the aircon stays switched off whilst the outside ambient temperature is low enough to keep the interior at the set level. As soon as that is not the case, the aircon does turn itself on! Just wish it explained that in the handbook - would have saved me the two days with the car at the dealers....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ToneBone said:

I just don't understand how it is a 'standard feature' in the first place. A/C has another basic function apart from the 'temperature' control, that most think that's all it does. It acts as a dehumidifier, so that your darn windows don't get all misted up on the inside. What maniac at the design stage thought it was a good idea to default 'off' bypassing what the driver wants!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I just don't understand how it is a 'standard feature' in the first place. A/C has another basic function apart from the 'temperature' control, that most think that's all it does. It acts as a dehumidifier, so that your darn windows don't get all misted up on the inside. What maniac at the design stage thought it was a good idea to default 'off' bypassing what the driver wants!

As it says in the note from Ford Technical Support, 'Please make customers aware of the benefits for fuel efficiency'........

11 minutes ago, ToneBone said:

... 'Please make customers aware of the benefits for fuel efficiency'........

Bl**dy tree huggers!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Bl**dy tree huggers!!

"I told you so !!"

The big problem that we have in the UK (not so in America or even Spain) is that we seem to think that A/C is for some reason just for "Air Cooling" and yet we are all quite happy to talk about聽 "Air Conditioning" but still want to belive it is only for cooling.

Everytime I get in my daughters car she has the A/C turned off if its cold out side, and when I ask why she always says "because she doen't want to be cold". I've proved on countless ocassions that you just set the heat to what you want and the A/C will just keep it so.

Then the next time I get in her car its off again "Because its cold outside" I give up !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aircon as it was always called is much better these days than it used to be and in most cars is now called climate control. Ideally it should be switched on at all times and the temperature dial used to select the temperature you want to maintain. The car will then switch the aircon part on and off itself to maintain the desired temperature as it needs to.聽聽

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, ToneBone said:

Having said that, I can now see what they've done - basically the aircon stays switched off whilst the outside ambient temperature is low enough to keep the interior at the set level. As soon as that is not the case, the aircon does turn itself on! Just wish it explained that in the handbook - would have saved me the two days with the car at the dealers....

The fix for my car was the saturation of the filters due to water ingress. It coincided with the air con switching off. But since the fix my air con stays on.

• 1 month later...

I have the opposite issue on my 2021 Kuga PHEV - aircon keeps switching itself on at every startup.

4 minutes ago, SPV said:

I have the opposite issue on my 2021 Kuga PHEV - aircon keeps switching itself on at every startup.

Move it from blowing at the windscreen, or turn off auto.

8 minutes ago, SPV said:

I just don't compute this as an issue! My A/C hasn't been switched off in any car I've ever had with it in for the last 30 odd years LOL Is it becasue you think A/C means 'cold' air, or are you trying to save a few dolphins?聽 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

save a few dolphins

Its national 'save a dolphin week' in Japan. So they just have to keep them in the freezer and eat them next week 馃ぃ

• Haha 2

I noticed a setting in the vehicle settings today that you can either have your air con on 'auto' or 'remember last setting.' Mine switches itself off randomly and the setting was on 'auto.'聽

6 hours ago, Quofan said:

vehicle settings today that you can either have your air con on 'auto' or 'remember last setting

That must be a new setting, I've never seen that before. It would seem like a good idea IF it worked !!

Have you tried setting it to "Remember" the last condition, and then leaving it set in the "on" position. ?

7 hours ago, unofix said:

That must be a new setting, I've never seen that before. It would seem like a good idea IF it worked !!

Have you tried setting it to "Remember" the last condition, and then leaving it set in the "on" position. ?

Not yet. Will try it over the weekend and let you know!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 3:54 AM, Quofan said:

I noticed a setting in the vehicle settings today that you can either have your air con on 'auto' or 'remember last setting.' Mine switches itself off randomly and the setting was on 'auto.'聽

Where did you find this setting? I only came across it in remote turn on settings with Fordpass, but to be honest didn't try it yet. My FHEV just began to start without A/C LED as it got colder outside.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club