Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Osram Night Breaker still the leader in H7?

StephenFord

Fancy a small upgrade on current standard bulbs. From memory, the Osram Night Breakers (H7) had alot of friends here. Still the case or is there a new kid in town?

Do they still sell those?? :tongue:

These days everything has to be 'extreme' or 'blinding' or another equally powerful adjective.

If I was buying a set today I'd go for Phillips WhiteVision Ultra personally.  They do burn hot though so won't last as long as yellower bulbs.

• Like 1

The night breakers  originals do not last well at all waste of money. Not tried the lasers yet though. 

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Fancy a small upgrade on current standard bulbs. From memory, the Osram Night Breakers (H7) had alot of friends here. Still the case or is there a new kid in town?

I just fitted the Night Breaker Silver, got a good deal on amazon with a £5 off anything over £10, so bought these at £10.12 for £5.12 lol,
I don't do high mileage so they're not on for long so hopefully will last a few years, I can actually see I have lights on now as they were so dim before.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXZXS2N
81RfGuaBEJL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ffd810f1ce83fb0c88d31f9a88fdc8f0.jpg

• Like 2

I bought these over two years ago, absolutely brilliant bulbs, can't fault them at all

Screenshot_20201231_233510_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wilto said:

I bought these over two years ago, absolutely brilliant bulbs, can't fault them at all

Screenshot_20201231_233510_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Do these 5000k actually look 'blue' which I'd not be so keen on, but a more white than yellow, I would? Oh, just noted that these are rated at 80W, is the wiring loom up to taking an additional 2A load?

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Do these 5000k actually look 'blue' which I'd not be so keen on, but a more white than yellow, I would? Oh, just noted that these are rated at 80W, is the wiring loom up to taking an additional 2A load?

Never mind the wiring they are not legal for on road use, 55w is the legal max.

I'm still,using nightbreakers, I do change my bulbs every winter as the do loose performance, it amazing the difference it makes do one light at a time and you really can see the difference even original spec bulbs benefit for changing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Yes, they look very blue.  I've got a set I took out of the A3 when I bought it as I didn't think they'd pass MOT.  They also state 'not for UK road use' on the bulb base lol.  Still kept them in case I feel like being naughty in future! :biggrin:  As for the wiring, it should be fine, I'd be more worried about melting the lenses depending how close the bulbs sit.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

I'm still,using nightbreakers, I do change my bulbs every winter as the do loose performance, it amazing the difference it makes do one light at a time and you really can see the difference even original spec bulbs benefit for changing.

That's kind of my intention with this ST, to keep on top of maintenance and not wait until something fails,
I'll never spend silly money like £30 for a pair of fancy bulbs, so getting the Silver's for £10 every 2 or 3 years then I'm happy.

3 hours ago, pragmatix said:

Never mind the wiring they are not legal for on road use, 55w is the legal max.

Ssshhh... we've left the EU now LOL (Though I do know the UK will continue road legal specs for a while until we get settled on our feet) I'm a risk taker,  so the 'legal' max does not hinder my decision making 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

I'll never spend silly money like £30 for a pair of fancy bulbs,

I paid £90 for a set of PIAA bulbs for my GT4, however, I got much better light output from a set of cheap LEDs  LOL, young & foolish springs to mind, well 'younger' anyway!

Was looking at some PIAA H7s too now...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.409383a770cb068eaa5bc04786f7b8f6.jpg

The bulbs have a very small blue tint, but not really noticeable, they are a nice bright white light that gives a much better illumination on the road, I never get any oncoming motorists flash me, because they are too bright. When I bought them I knew they weren't road legal, but hey ho, there are far more " illegal" cars driving around with a lot more wrong that a couple of bulbs, 25 watts more than they should.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wilto said:

there are far more " illegal" cars driving around with a lot more wrong that a couple of bulbs, 25 watts more than they should.

LOL, a man after my own heart! 😄

18 hours ago, RAIDER32 said:

I just fitted the Night Breaker Silver, got a good deal on Amazon with a £5 off anything over £10, so bought these at £10.12 for £5.12 lol,
I don't do high mileage so they're not on for long so hopefully will last a few years, I can actually see I have lights on now as they were so dim before.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FXZXS2N
81RfGuaBEJL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ffd810f1ce83fb0c88d31f9a88fdc8f0.jpg

Still undecided here tbh. Some of the reviews saying a great difference and other saying can't tell. 

I find myself putting on the front fogs on on the dark unlit country roads which isn't ideal.

19 minutes ago, Wino said:

Still undecided here tbh. Some of the reviews saying a great difference and other saying can't tell. 

Opinions on bulbs are like opinions on tires, some swear by brands they couldn't live without, others rubbish same ones. You can't even get 3 blokes on Top Gear raving about the same car, theirs is always great, the others are rubbish LOL 😁

27 minutes ago, Wino said:

I find myself putting on the front fogs on on the dark unlit country roads which isn't ideal.

Well I wouldn't say the Silver's made a 'huge' difference, just and obvious one to me compared to the old ones,
The car was 4 years old when I got it so no idea if the bulbs are now 5.5 years old and lost performance, though I hear stock bulbs are weak.
I'm driving mostly short urban trips where there are other lights, your driving conditions may require more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, went with the Philips Whitevision - as you can see from the photo, a massive difference LOL Honestly, I'd give anything for an old proper 35mm camera where you can adjust the shutter and F stop, my phone, no matter what 'mode' I try cannot take a photo of a lit headlight! It's all psychological anyway, they come in a lovely box with great marketing graphics, so they are obviously better LOL 😂

1880047425_H7comparisoncaption.thumb.jpg.9a5174342510eaf1f5e267c263a5f115.jpg

• Haha 1

Thinking of checking if I've any bulbs in at all atm. Can't see a damn thing on these dark back lanes especially when it's rubbish weather like this morning.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Well, went with the Philips Whitevision - as you can see from the photo, a massive difference LOL Honestly, I'd give anything for an old proper 35mm camera where you can adjust the shutter and F stop, my phone, no matter what 'mode' I try cannot take a photo of a lit headlight! It's all psychological anyway, they come in a lovely box with great marketing graphics, so they are obviously better LOL 😂

1880047425_H7comparisoncaption.thumb.jpg.9a5174342510eaf1f5e267c263a5f115.jpg

Original WhiteVision or the newer WhiteVision Ultra?

My WhiteVisions look less yellow than that! :laugh: 

IMG_20191230_171940786.thumb.jpg.7a8f230e3d1515a023a5d8cb1c1ef9a5.jpg

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Original WhiteVision or the newer WhiteVision Ultra?

Tom, just as you advised me buddy, the 'ultra' ones...

215042646_PhilipsH7Ultra.thumb.jpg.039e74316543fd1b1c3c8c1130e1c3c9.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, just as you advised me buddy, the 'ultra' ones...

215042646_PhilipsH7Ultra.thumb.jpg.039e74316543fd1b1c3c8c1130e1c3c9.jpg

Hmm, maybe it is your camera then, they just don't look as 'Sharp White' as I'd expect!  There was a huge difference between my standards and WV's.  I guess it maybe the LED's affecting the whitebalance on the picture making any halogen look more yellow than it is.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, maybe it is your camera then, they just don't look as 'Sharp White' as I'd expect!  There was a huge difference between my standards and WV's.  I guess it maybe the LED's affecting the whitebalance on the picture making any halogen look more yellow than it is.

Not a bad point and one I should have though of! Will try again tonight and switch my LED DRLs off! (Of course I won't have a comparison shot minus DRLs with the old ones but will see if it's any use!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wino said:

Can't see a damn thing on these dark back lanes especially when it's rubbish weather like this morning.

If it's empty back roads are you not using your main beams?
You can use your main beam if it helps you and doesn't interfere with other road users.