Do Not Sell My Personal Information

air con compressor

michaelburrows

i have always felt a slight judder on the engine when the climate was turned on. i use it all year round for heating  cooling and demisting the car.  last wk i noticed on an occasion the rear windows steamed a bit. iv noticed i dont feel or hear the compressor kicking in now.  and i cant really test air con coz its far too cold for it.  

Just look under the bonnet when the air con compressor should be working.

The belt will always be turning on the compressor pulley (so long as the belt itself has not failed).

If the compressor has kicked in, all the bits and pieces connecting the pulley to the compressor input shaft should also be turning. If they are not, then the compressor has not kicked in.

This time of the year you will need a strong torch to see what is going on down there.

ScaniaPBman.

On the MK3 the AC compressor won't kick in under about 4c ambient temp to avoid potential damage from freezing.

If it's still not kicking in above that then chances are the gas has just leaked gradually over time and it'll just need a regas.  There is the possibility of it being a sudden leak caused by a stone through the condenser though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

On the MK3 the AC compressor won't kick in under about 4c ambient temp to avoid potential damage from freezing.

I

I'd be pretty confident that my old Mk2 is nowhere near as sophisticated! I'm sure my A/C kicks in all temps as even with temp around freezing, at full wack my windscreens clears pretty quick which I'm not sure it would do without aid on dehumidifying...

• Like 1

thanks for replys guys.  ill get a torch out there later and have a poke around and see what i can see. . its very dark down there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'd be pretty confident that my old Mk2 is nowhere near as sophisticated! I'm sure my A/C kicks in all temps as even with temp around freezing, at full whack my windscreens clears pretty quick which I'm not sure it would do without aid on dehumidifying...

I'm not sure the LX has an external temp display does it?  If there's no temp sensor then it won't cut out at lower temps.  I honestly can't remember whether my old Mk2.5 Titanium used to cut or no not. 

im hoping it will just be the 4 degree thing tom. thanks anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure the LX has an external temp display does it?  If there's no temp sensor then it won't cut out at lower temps.

LOL, bless you Tom, an external temperature display? It has handles to wind up rear windows, that's the extent of luxury my old girl has... 😄

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It has handles to wind up rear windows

So do most of the Mk3/3.5s!! :shocking:

• Sad 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

So do most of the Mk3/3.5s!! :shocking:

Genuinely shocked at that! I thought full electric windows would have been standard after the issue of my car! Though my old Merc C (2001) had windows all round with global opening. Shame is was beset with so many electrical gremlins!

• Like 1

My 2019 Fiesta still has wind up rear windows, so Ford obviously haven’t got the memo 🙄

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Genuinely shocked at that! I thought full electric windows would have been standard after the issue of my car! Though my old Merc C (2001) had windows all round with global opening. Shame is was beset with so many electrical gremlins!

Nope, even Zetec/Zetec-S trims for the MK3/MK3.5's were still wind up rears as standard. #FordLoveTheirBeancounters

1 hour ago, FatHead1979 said:

Nope, even Zetec/Zetec-S trims for the MK3/MK3.5's were still wind up rears as standard. #FordLoveTheirBeancounters

On the plus side, all Mk4s get rear electric windows.  So the question is, would you prefer rear electric windows or rear suspension? :laugh:

• Haha 2

just for info. the temp was 5 degrees today and toms suggestion was probably correct.  i heard slightly and felt a slight tremor as the air con compressor started.   thank goodness for that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club