Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 auto wipers sensor setting

mitch84

Hi

I have always found the auto wipers on my focus and now fiesta mk8 occasionally pretty rubbish at working at the correct times to clear windscreen, sometimes I have to intervene and manually press the wiper arm.

Also sometimes just a light shower and the wipers go to crazy high speed, this could have been a case of just my windscreen having some grime over the sensor though, I washed car today, and its not rained since so will have to see how it is next time.

I realise sometimes its a case of a dirty windscreen effecting the rain sensor but Im just wondering if you guys have same issue.

Also has anyone found an ideal setting on the rain setting on the wiper arm, Im constantly adjusting it and to be honest I don't notice much of a difference between the settings, while driving but perhaps the adjustment doesn't take effect while driving, what do you lot have it set to?

Thanks

Same with every auto-wiper setup on any car, it's just a limitation of the sensor.  There are so many variables with rain from fine mist, through light drizzle, torrential downpours and then there's that weirdly sparse rain with massive drops that seem to miss the sensor altogether.

I still wouldn't be without it though, yes occasionally I need to give it an extra wipe but that's nothing compared to the annoyance on manual wipers for me!  Can't remember the last time I adjusted the setting, just leave it in the middle I think.

• Like 3

I set mine in the first week of getting the car can't tell you what's it on but I've never altered it, occasionally I've ha to go high speed and in drizzle give one wipe but 99% of the time it's fine

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

I set mine in the first week of getting the car can't tell you what's it on but I've never altered it, occasionally I've ha to go high speed and in drizzle give one wipe but 99% of the time it's fine

Same here.   Set it on the most sensitive setting and have never changed it.   Very occasionally have to manually wipe.

• Like 1

My auto wiper seems reasonably accurate, certainly good enough for me not to want to set it to just manual variation.

Collision detection though I would happily rip out.  It simply cannot handle double parked streets and bongs all the time even on minimum setting.

• Like 1

My auto wipers go into fast mode sometimes with light rain even set at lowest sensitivity, which is annoying.

Never had an issue with my mk2.5 Focus auto wipers.

Most of the time auto wipers on my Fiesta are fine but occasionally become erratic.

Mine the same sometimes can go mad and the other time i have to hit the quick wipe as its light rain so don't come on unless covered.

As    Bobr    said i have mine also set on full the more paint on the twist and leave it but i would miss it if i didn't have it how crazy it is at times.

The time auto would have done me not the rain on window one.

I have exactly the same problem and it was the same on my previous car, a Fusion, but most of the time they are ok so I like them and wouldn't like to be without them.

I disabled it on my Mondeo as it was too erratic sometimes and other times it wouldn't wipe when it should. Once disabled the sensitivity adjustment becomes a normal intermittent (time) adjustment. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Frembrit said:

I disabled it on my Mondeo as it was too erratic sometimes and other times it wouldn't wipe when it should. Once disabled the sensitivity adjustment becomes a normal intermittent (time) adjustment. 

On the original point - like others, I never found much difference between settings.

Had these on several cars, but the Mk 8 Fiesta is the first where I've found a way to disable it, which I have done. I found they worked ok maybe 90% of the time, but I don't like the uncertainty of whether they will/won't work when needed. Like David, I prefer the predictability of the manual setting.

Auto wipers disabled here too. Either on at 100mph or not at all. 

By coincidence today after giving the focus a quick pressure wash at our local Asda it started to drizzle and the car behind us at the roundabout was a 20 plate Merc and his wipers going like Usain Bolt coming out of the blocks. 

Ours are currently set at intermittent on 2 and seem to work far better set to the old way.

When mine goes erratic, I just turn them off and back on again, which seams to solve it. If the opposite happens, and I want them to wipe, I flick sensitivity up and down a notch.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club