Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to stop windscreen washer fluid freezing?

StephenFord

Have virtually got 'neat' washer fluid in my bottle, but the darn thing still froze this morning only eventually working after a 15 mile trip. Was wondering, if I added 50ml or so of Isopropyl alcohol would that help? (it has a freezing point of -89c!) Also, would it damage any of the washer seals?

Is it actually frozen in the lines or is it just the jets that are frozen?  I take it you don't have a heated screen & washer jets?  Think they were optional on the LX.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Is it actually frozen in the lines or is it just the jets that are frozen?  I take it you don't have a heated screen & washer jets?  Think they were optional on the LX.

I'm guessing it would be the lines, the reason being is that I de-ice my car by pouring warm water over all glass areas to clear the ice and pour over nozzles too, who can be bothered with all that scraping (yep, I know there's a 100 blokes up & down the country thinking, 'you do what'?? LOL) Been doing it for 40 years, never lost a windscreen yet! Nope, I don't have heated screens or washer jets 🤣

• Like 2

Ah, fair enough! 

Maybe you're using rubbish screenwash lol?  Most of them have some alcohol in to prohibit freezing but it does separate out of the solution over time if it's been in there a while.  You'll be fine adding some alcohol separately, though I think you'll need more than 50ml for a full screenwash bottle.  Did you ever find out the exact capacity after the previous thread?

I add a capfull or two of mouthwash that contains alcohol when I mix 5lts of screenwash ready for use.

9 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

I add a capfull or two of mouthwash that contains alcohol when I mix 5lts of screenwash ready for use.

mmm... a minty fresh windscreen - love it LOL There seemed to be a consensus that capacity was about 4.5 - 5 liters, but no definitive answer... Hey, and the stuff I use is good quality, it's from Asda you know! 🤣

• Haha 1

Ooppsss... just checked, the Asda stuff must have finished, am onto Tesco now LOL

1748370324_tescoscreenwash.thumb.jpg.8e3c12acda53611e3f36d08563b33534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it's just generic blue screenwash that's probably the issue.  Maybe try the Prestone stuff that's always on offer in Tesco instead! :biggrin:

Minty fresh screenwash does sound good!  Though I'm surprised a cap or two is enough!  I suppose you could try 50ml of isopropyl and see if it works...  Shouldn't damage any seals but will strip wax if it's left on the paintwork.

• Thanks 1

Prestone freezes too, I'm using Carplan Demon Freeze that goes down to -20 and it works very well.

I also put 100-200ml of white vinegar in during winter as it helps to stop salt build up that turns the screen a foggy white.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I also put 100-200ml of white vinegar in during winter as it helps to stop salt build up that turns the screen a foggy white.

We must have different salt here in NI as in all the years I've driven, I've never had that issue! LOL

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Have virtually got 'neat' washer fluid in my bottle, but the darn thing still froze this morning only eventually working after a 15 mile trip. Was wondering, if I added 50ml or so of Isopropyl alcohol would that help? (it has a freezing point of -89c!) Also, would it damage any of the washer seals?

If you have a clear coat Lacquer on the vehicle there is a good chance the Lacquer may become damaged over a period of time and break away from the base coat

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

If you have a clear coat Lacquer on the vehicle there is a good chance the Lacquer may become damaged over a period of time and break away from the base coat

Exactly what evidence have you to state such an explicit outcome from adding some pure alcohol (well 70%) to the washer system? It's not antifreeze you know which of course will damage paintwork! LOL

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Everything apart from seats, steering wheel and tyres was "optional" on the LX wasn't it? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Exactly what evidence have you to state such an explicit outcome from adding some pure alcohol (well 70%) to the washer system? It's not antifreeze you know which of course will damage paintwork! LOL

Knowing that some paint finishes can be affected by different chemicals or substances , I done a search about Isopropyl Alcohol being applied on vehicle’s two pack lacquer, and found a mixture of different people use the IPA for various purposes and found out that it could be absorbed into the surface of the lacquer and damage its adhesion . 

Just now, Robhonda said:

Knowing that some paint finishes can be affected by different chemicals or substances , I done a search about Isopropyl Alcohol being applied on vehicle’s two pack lacquer, and found a mixture of different people use the IPA for various purposes and found out that it could be absorbed into the surface of the lacquer and damage its adhesion . 

OK buddy, I'll be ever so careful about the odd splash on my paintwork, and I definitely won;t be putting in in my 'snow foam' when washing car LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FatHead1979 said:

Everything apart from seats, steering wheel and tyres was "optional" on the LX wasn't it? 😁

I think you'll find that the seats WERE extra - this is what it was supplied with as standard LOL 😂

1295077212_fordbox.thumb.jpg.b67c5f9e4515b16d34be609136a44689.jpg

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I think you'll find that the seats WERE extra - this is what is was supplied with as standard LOL 😂

1295077212_fordbox.thumb.jpg.b67c5f9e4515b16d34be609136a44689.jpg

Oooh, you flash git.  The Ford logos were an optional extra! :tongue:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If it's just generic blue screenwash that's probably the issue.  Maybe try the Prestone stuff that's always on offer in Tesco instead! :biggrin:

Minty fresh screenwash does sound good!  Though I'm surprised a cap or two is enough!  I suppose you could try 50ml of isopropyl and see if it works...  Shouldn't damage any seals but will strip wax if it's left on the paintwork.

I used that prestone stuff and ended up with this  lol

Screenshot_20201203-205245_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Morty1977 said:

Screenshot_20201203-205245_Gallery.jpg

Bless you... :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Morty1977 said:

Did it smell minty fresh though? LOL

5 hours ago, eddie eastwood said:

i bet your car has a lovely smile lol

10 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Did it smell minty fresh though? LOL

No no mouthwash in mine lol

Now daft as it seems some screenwash needs water to be added to it, don't ask me how that works I don't know, but I've had ones that say don't use neat or it won't be as effective.

• Haha 1

You could always add crushed ice from the fridge / freezer to the screenwash.

You won't have the issue of the jets freezing if theres no water getting to them in the first place 🤣

• Haha 1

i've always had an issue with frozen jets, even when they were heated
the pipes going to the jets are where the freezing happens so way way back when i had my sierra i ran an extra bit of engine heater hose along the washer bottle and pipes to prevent this from happening too much
the pipes on the bonnet were heated up by the engine so after a ew minutes it was all good 🙂
i do know that some cars came with heated washer bottles, i saw a video about it the other day on youtube

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club