Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to stop windscreen washer fluid freezing?

StephenFord

I use the Halfords own and have had decent results. They do a -10 and -20 versions, they smell nice and the -20 one looks like nuclear waste!!

Mixing different brands can also cause issues. I've had it separate and cause either slime build up or small particles that do their best to block everything.

Adding the white vinegar will also help with lime-scale reduction if you use hard water.

screenwash.jpg

• Like 1

Salt ? Vinegar ? Am I on the walker's crisps forum or what ? 🤦

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, VFR800 said:

I use the Halfords own and have had decent results. They do a -10 and -20 versions, they smell nice and the -20 one looks like nuclear waste!!

Mixing different brands can also cause issues. I've had it separate and cause either slime build up or small particles that do their best to block everything.

Adding the white vinegar will also help with lime-scale reduction if you use hard water.

screenwash.jpg

Smells good this one 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VFR800 said:

screenwash.jpg

I also use that one (it did rather well on the annual Autoexpress group test) and more importantly................it smells lurvely 😁

• Like 1

I use the Halfords Berry stuff too...though I buy the ready mixed one.  If you read the back of the concentrated bottle, it's only effective to -10 when neat...exactly the same as the ready mixed equivalent. :unsure:  

On 1/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, Stoney871 said:

...I'm using Carplan Demon Freeze that goes down to -20 and it works very well.

Just treated myself to a bottle of this too for no other reason in that my local Asda had it this morning whilst I was in. Cost £5 for 2.5l. I also bought some 'Demon Ice' which apparently if you spray it on the night before, stops your windscreen icing up in the first place! Could be just snake oil in nice packaging (& £4!) but will try it tonight as foercast is for ice and I'll be out early...

1539841839_Carplandemon.thumb.jpg.21183adb60c6fca4cc033ca7e0536f5f.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just treated myself to a bottle of this too for no other reason in that my local Asda had it this morning whilst I was in. Cost £5 for 2.5l. I also bought some 'Demon Ice' which apparently if you spray it on the night before, stops your windscreen icing up in the first place! Could be just snake oil in nice packaging (& £4!) but will try it tonight as foercast is for ice and I'll be out early...

1539841839_Carplandemon.thumb.jpg.21183adb60c6fca4cc033ca7e0536f5f.jpg

You'll have to let us know if the pre-icer works...that could be useful for me if it does!  Though at £4 I'm not going to risk it until you have! :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

I might need a blow torch tomorrow morning. Just washed the car and up for work at 5:15am.

Also noticed the water run off from the windscreen was blocked with leaves ( under the bonnet bit) and there's a nice nasty place for the leaves to gather under the plastic trim at the side of the front wing ( Both sides) had to remove plastic trim and remove leaves. Theres a big hole under there I could get my arm down up to my elbow behind the wadding.

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

Also noticed the water run off from the windscreen was blocked with leaves ( under the bonnet bit) and there's a nice nasty place for the leaves to gather under the plastic trim at the side of the front wing

I'm a bit anal on leaves under bonnet, I regularly vacuum them out as car is parked under a tree line!

Just now, StephenFord said:

I'm a bit anal on leaves under bonnet, I regularly vacuum them out as car is parked under a tree line!

Does that look like a tree but is slower and with less spec?  Is there also a tree line X? 

(It's only been a day and lockdown 3 is already getting to me! :laugh: )

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

(It's only been a day and lockdown 3 is already getting to me! :laugh: )

In NI we started LockDown 3 (or 4?) on December 26th... On the plus side, my mum got vaccinated yesterday, one of the first here to do so, hence I'm a happy bunny right now!

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

When you pop the bonnet to clear the leaves out of the drain holes have a look or a feel behind the plastic trim towards the back of the wing panel. I've taken both sides of mine out today and had my arm down there clearing the crap out. I was quite surprised how much debris and grime there was in there. The wadding was soaked through too. Not sure why they havent left a small gap between the wadding and the back of the front wing as theres nowhere for the debris to go and it's not going to get much air at that side to circulate to dry out the wadding.

• Sad 1

I've  not had a problem with the washer fluid freezing, but this evening went to clean the screen a the fluid froze as it it the screen not much fun at 60mph on a dark night, temp was -6, screen wash at recommended winter strength 80%.

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You'll have to let us know if the pre-icer works...that could be useful for me if it does!  Though at £4 I'm not going to risk it until you have! :biggrin: 

Well, this is what I awoke to this morning. Definitely icy as the neighbour brats were out on their toboggan! On clearing the rear screen (as shown) with a soft brush, there was no ice whatsoever under it. I would have expected to brush the surface off, then tackle ice underneath. The same happened for the front screen. Begrudgingly, I would have to conclude that the snake oil has some validity! Shame it's not cheap...

327082158_focussnowice.thumb.jpg.62b5c16a18a170d9cb6ca1c75e79f422.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Well, this is what I awoke to this morning. Definitely icy as the neighbour brats were out on their toboggan! On clearing the rear screen (as shown) with a soft brush, there was no ice whatsoever under it. I would have expected to brush the surface off, then tackle ice underneath. The same happened for the front screen. Begrudgingly, I would have to conclude that the snake oil has some validity! Shame it's not cheap...

Interesting, keep us posted mate.  It'll be interesting to see if the results are consistently positive.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

That's good to know!  My amazon Prime trial ends soon so I did actually order some of the carplan equivalent last night.  Couldn't find the Demon stuff on there.  Hoping it arrives before Sunday as it's Monday mornings I need the car early.  Though the temp will probably have risen by then making it redundant! :laugh: 

My Amazon Prime trial ends soon ...

Tom, you must be the only person in the country that on signing up for 'Prime', remembered to cancel it before becoming a lifelong Bezos subscriber - well done buddy!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, you must be the only person in the country that on signing up for 'Prime', remembered to cancel it before becoming a lifelong Bezos subscriber - well done buddy!

No he's not, I only use prime when the trial offer comes up, which is very regular.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

i've had it for years, always worth it to get same day or next day delivery, the tv stuff is then just a bonus 🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dojj said:

... the tv stuff is then just a bonus 🙂

After @Zico mentioning that I could watch amazon through the Xbox (isn't technology great!) I've watched 2 of the latest The Grand Tours.  Got a couple of days left...is there anything else worth watching?

• Like 2

After @Zico mentioning that I could watch Amazon through the Xbox (isn't technology great!) I've watched 2 of the latest The Grand Tours.  Got a couple of days left...is there anything else worth watching?

Well, if you watched the series, 'Power' the new sequel, 'Ghost' (8 episodes) is excellent!

Sorry to veer back onto the topic for a minute, (😊) but I think the OP's problem lies with the method he's using to de-ice the screen,... I've found that using warm water will get onto the washer jets and freeze very quickly, effectively blocking them.  I used to add meths to the screen wash, but it's too expensive now. 

9 hours ago, StephenFord said:

It was minus 6 here this morning. 

Ended up driving to work with the passenger mirror stuck in the closed position as it wouldn't open and I didnt want to force it although I try to move it. 

Managed to get it into position this lunchtime during a break so have now unticked auto fold whilst we have a few days of cold weather ahead. 

Perhaps wasn't the best idea to wash the car yesterday lunchtime 🙄

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, nicam49 said:

Sorry to veer back onto the topic for a minute, (😊) but I think the OP's problem lies with the method he's using to de-ice the screen,... I've found that using warm water will get onto the washer jets and freeze very quickly, effectively blocking them.  I used to add meths to the screen wash, but it's too expensive now. 

maybe it's just a case of folks not getting the stuff right up to the washer jets, no point in putting the stuff in the tank if there's still just water in the pipework?