Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to stop windscreen washer fluid freezing?

StephenFord

15 minutes ago, Dojj said:

maybe it's just a case of folks not getting the stuff right up to the washer jets, no point in putting the stuff in the tank if there's still just water in the pipework?

Not my issue... nozzles are always primed with what tank holds.

13 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Amateurs ... 😁

spacer.png

Tried Tesco, they're fresh out LOL 😂

• Haha 1

So, I got all organised, got the pre-icer on yesterday just before the damp set in...  Woke up this morning and it's 4c, nothings frozen. :rolleyes: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after the previous fail...  Last Monday I didn't bother using it as the forecast said min 3c...  Came out to an iced car! 🤦‍♂️

Last night I did use it, but it rained afterwards.  It kind of worked on one window, but the others must have had rain driving at them.  The ice was properly thick too. :sad:  On the window where it worked, the ice was notably thinner and with 'wider' sections.  It was easier to remove, but still not weak enough to just put the window down and clear.

Due to charging issues, I had to fast idle my 2.0 TDI at 2k RPM after about 5 minutes of no PTC heater, no heated rear screen and trying to scrape while feeling rough as a badgers backside.  My neighbours must have enjoyed that.  Wish Ford would hurry up and build my new one. :rolleyes: 

So would I recommend pre-icer?  Not really, no.  It does the job it's designed to, but you have to know whether it's going to be icy in advance, and it doesn't work after rain, and it still requires some effort to de-ice anyway.  

Edit - On the plus side, my Halfords Berry screenwash hadn't frozen!  Don't think I have heated jets on the Golf but not sure.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tom, I treated myself to one of those 'foil' style windscreen covers for your windscreen this week in Lidl (£2.99). Used it last night, and it did work, however, all doors were frozen shut, as were all my others windows with thick ice.

My neighbour a couple of years back built a fabulous wooden roofed canopy on the side of his house, complete with external (remote control) electric heaters. He parks his car under it, and the weather doesn't bother him one bit LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, I treated myself to one of those 'foil' style windscreen covers for your windscreen this week in Lidl (£2.99). Used it last night, and it did work, however, all doors were frozen shut, as were all my others windows with thick ice.

My neighbour a couple of years back built a fabulous wooden roofed canopy on the side of his house, complete with external (remote control) electric heaters. He parks his car under it, and the weather doesn't bother him one bit LOL

Is that a tuck in cover or a magnetic one?  I bought a magnetic one for a couple of quid but it's useless.  If the car is slightly damp or there's a minor breeze it slips down over night.  Not overly keen on the idea of a magnet being swiped across gritty paint or potentially blowing off and dinging the wing either.  Not fussed about the paint on the Golf fortunately but I wouldn't want to use it on a decent car.

My drivers door was frozen shut as well this morning but I just wrenched it open in a huff... :laugh:  Rear door was still frozen after I'd driven to Tesco, shopped and came to put the bag behind the back seat! :ermm:

I'd like to hope for a garage eventually...but that's probably unlikely until I'm 70 and inherit my Mums house... :laugh:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is that a tuck in cover or a magnetic one?

It's a 'tuck in' one, which has it's own issues if both front doors are frozen solid shut! LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

It's a 'tuck in' one, which has it's own issues if both front doors are frozen solid shut! LOL

Oh, of course!! 🤦‍♂️ :laugh: 

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Oh, of course!! 🤦‍♂️ :laugh: 

Tom, this is what I stare at from my house! It's a fabulous structure took him & his dad 3 days to build and the quality is superb! The wood (pre cut kit) cost just under £2000, not that I'm jealous or anything LOL

50865005_newcanopyhighlight.thumb.jpg.0568a1ed71ea937340106c0b9618816a.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, this is what I stare at from my house! It's a fabulous structure took him & his dad 3 days to build and the quality is superb! The wood (pre cut kit) cost just under £2000, not that I'm jealous or anything LOL

50865005_newcanopyhighlight.thumb.jpg.0568a1ed71ea937340106c0b9618816a.jpg

That looks great!! Though I can't help but think it would have been less hassle to just use the garage that was already there. :wink: 

Could you ask him to build you one? :biggrin: 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That looks great!! Though I can't help but think it would have been less hassle to just use the garage that was already there. :wink: 

Could you ask him to build you one? :biggrin: 

The garage houses a very tasty, gorgeous vintage 1960s TR6, I've had a ride in it and he scared the bejesus out of me LOL (oh, already asked, hes not interested 🤣) It's a busy household, mum, dad, 2 grown ups, all have their own cars, he needs a fleet manager!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Think it might be a bit late to get the pre-icer or the screen cover out now... :unsure: :biggrin:

2032479160_IMG_20210207_1734207732.thumb.jpg.29bf889648057929db1aef1dcd837086.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, StephenFord said:

Have virtually got 'neat' washer fluid in my bottle, but the darn thing still froze this morning only eventually working after a 15 mile trip. Was wondering, if I added 50ml or so of Isopropyl alcohol would that help? (it has a freezing point of -89c!) Also, would it damage any of the washer seals?

isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol will dry out the rubber and cause cracking, prolonged use would eventually cause the plastic bottle itself to fracture, 

ethanol or methanol would be best, the purple washer fluid in Halfords is methanol but it is a toxic solvent which if ingested can cause one to go blind, for those whom have drank methanol the one method to flush it from the body is ethanol which although is still 100% alcohol its non toxic so you would likely survive but need a liver transplant 

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Think it might be a bit late to get the pre-icer or the screen cover out now... :unsure: :biggrin:

2032479160_IMG_20210207_1734207732.thumb.jpg.29bf889648057929db1aef1dcd837086.jpg

On 1/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, StephenFord said:

Well, this is what I awoke to this morning. Definitely icy as the neighbour brats were out on their toboggan! On clearing the rear screen (as shown) with a soft brush, there was no ice whatsoever under it. I would have expected to brush the surface off, then tackle ice underneath. The same happened for the front screen. Begrudgingly, I would have to conclude that the snake oil has some validity! Shame it's not cheap...

327082158_focussnowice.thumb.jpg.62b5c16a18a170d9cb6ca1c75e79f422.jpg

Kept spotting that stuff in asda was skeptical so it actually works 😲

On 1/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, StephenFord said:

Well, this is what I awoke to this morning. Definitely icy as the neighbour brats were out on their toboggan! On clearing the rear screen (as shown) with a soft brush, there was no ice whatsoever under it. I would have expected to brush the surface off, then tackle ice underneath. The same happened for the front screen. Begrudgingly, I would have to conclude that the snake oil has some validity! Shame it's not cheap...

327082158_focussnowice.thumb.jpg.62b5c16a18a170d9cb6ca1c75e79f422.jpg

10 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Well, it did for me, but not under laboratory conditions LOL Probably relies on wind chill factors, speed of temperature drop etc etc. Wouldn't like you to invest than blame me it didn't work for you 😅

• Haha 1

Oddly, the ice seemed easier to remove underneath snow this morning.  Wasn't as bad to scrape as I was expecting.  

3HXJ3rJUD1S4xTgJbf99UGMswmXuMH9PgupY3T-SvfEgUjxloWAKUzR4cAkApk-uNYpAXdEjdEns7_eAo_t0BdDq6QiZz-pLxqcUTXmTT_eVOpXkMKRN53F3kki57qEuXSxtYJas9MmcNE9EpsjYdaENxTTwaGUtldpXout9Flvjm7VSraemm1qV_tRRZWYz-9kX8TdKPva06s6z7BlSMTzktchGlzDV0YqgwaEfvlBnWQv8uiJO8-zQyQ3bOLvIWHCFMKo7ky0jYqVsVU_1ChGYMI7N96oVgnOKQx7c6ONuKuMM6kYaMyPO8FEPJQqbUIQ4V6fnQ9Sk_nkkA41X8MstT4RAzawQ69m0u3DuXC-K9bckt7Sg8LAyjIC_vjji22jUI9DOSal0D2BiSX-uMu6tetdYofd5-7HPfbs9EUsXAmdyb4WA93bz7_ZB_QrTwPOOFUrUGF8-p47aCExP0oZIrEtHZikoEuDdjHPenDvsBVGLNI-wP-EFLZ5VJpdqAqUPd5HreJlqhmy_OR_4rnfCWatVmxgPY1trD8ZCsSyunz_huMZgWwPv9dOPDmpFZDeTvqjH1WU0Hn5SrjaEeQnACUnHxsPCAktykPgdIVdmvoh6voQg0C0_k0MWy7JAWErW0QVc15W7nQvZkeMWXs3MPoclbCLMGdJAqjDDDjLNc-KMjAvPkANsVX7wVQ=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

14 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Only if it doesn't rain after you apply it.  So probably not ideal in Scotland... :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club