Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel TPMS

Sly

Good morning,

Wanting to get my tyres on my '20 Fiesta rotated but the tyre shop tells me they can't because the TPMS won't know where it's sitting on the car from factory.

Is this true or does the TPMS update where the tyre is by itself? 

You need to find another garage

If what they say was true you'd never be able to buy new tyres so when they were worn you'd have to scrap the car 🙂

If you go through the settings from the steering wheel controls you'll find a tyre pressure option - after rotating wheels/ tyres reset from there

• Haha 2

I swap the wheels from front to back to even the tyre wear and it's never caused a problem with the TPMS. Never even needed to reset the TPMS except after I had a puncture repaired.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Good morning,

Wanting to get my tyres on my '20 Fiesta rotated but the tyre shop tells me they can't because the TPMS won't know where it's sitting on the car from factory.

Is this true or does the TPMS update where the tyre is by itself? 

Yes it is true . The tyres are programmed to each position . Swapping them front to rear won't cause the Tpms to produce a fault. The tyre pressure display will show the pressures the wrong way round. Each sensor transmits it's pressure to the bcm.. the bcm won't know the tyres have been moved around. 

The position can easily be reprogrammed using a cheap £ 6 programmer off eBay

Earlier fords had receivers located behind the wheel arches which picked up the Tpms sensor and knew each location which then sent info to bcm. 

Also on earlier fords quite often the tyre pressure wasn't an option to be shown on the instrument cluster and only provided a warning of low pressure but you didn't know which tyre. 

• Like 1

just swap the tyres as you normally do , then readjust the tyre pressure on all four to the correct pressure according to the owner's manual, then reset the TPMS and you are all done 🙂 

and yes you need to find another garage as @robbyvrssaid 😄 you can't trust these guys for a cup of coffee 😄 

edit : as @iantt said you have to maintain the correct position of the sensors even after the swap 🙂 

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Yes it is true . The tyres are programmed to each position . Swapping them front to rear won't cause the Tpms to produce a fault. The tyre pressure display will show the pressures the wrong way round. Each sensor transmits it's pressure to the bcm.. the bcm won't know the tyres have been moved around. 

The position can easily be reprogrammed using a cheap £ 6 programmer off eBay. 

Earlier fords had receivers located behind the wheel arches which picked up the Tpms sensor and knew each location which then sent info to bcm. 

Also on earlier fords quite often the tyre pressure wasn't an option to be shown on the instrument cluster and only provided a warning of low pressure but you didn't know which tyre. 

oh I didn't think of this 😄 you seem to be true 🙂 

correction you can trust these guys @Sly 😄 

The sensors use radio waves to the bcm . Can quote from the workshop manual . 

the BCM cannot recognize that the sensor identifiers have been moved to different positions and will retain the original position information for each sensor.

I've just rotated my tyres on my Mondeo and had to relearn the positions. Used this tool. Use it at work quite often. Works on all modern fords I've tried . 

16099570724941438683914.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

The sensors use radio waves to the bcm . Can quote from the workshop manual . 

the BCM cannot recognize that the sensor identifiers have been moved to different positions and will retain the original position information for each sensor.

I've just rotated my tyres on my Mondeo and had to relearn the positions. Used this tool. Use it at work quite often. Works on all modern fords I've tried . 

16099570724941438683914.jpg

Thanks bud, it's a '20 plate Fiesta titanium. Any recommended eBay seller for one of these? 

So would I just put that onto the tires after the rotation and the TPMS would then re-learn where each tyre was?

I thought about re-adjusting the tyre pressures after the swap around but then, if the front got a flat, it would show on the back of the TPMS xD 

You need to put the car into learning mode.

With the ignition OFF, press and release the brake pedal.
  1. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.( Ign on engine not running) 
  1. Press and release the brake pedal.
  1. Position the ignition to OFF position.
  1. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.( Ign on engine not running) 
  1. The horn will sound once and the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN Left Front (LF) TIRE.
  1. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the special tool must remain in place at the valve stem.

Place the special tool on the Left Front (LF) tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM (body control module).
  1. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the special tool on the Right Front (RF) tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the Right Front (RF) tire pressure sensor.
    Use Special service Tool: 204-D081A.
  1. NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the BCM will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated and the already trainedTPMSsensors have to be activated again.

Repeat Step 7 for the Right Rear (RR) and Left Rear (LR) tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by positioning the ignition to OFF without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the ignition is positioned to OFF, the training procedure was not successful.

It sounds more complicated than it is. 

I will look on eBay to see what sellers are out there. 

Edit, I looked on eBay and the seller I bought off isn't there any more. Just search for el-50449 Tpms. A few that are alledigly sold from UK/London etc. Now around £9 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, iantt said:

You need to put the car into learning mode.

With the ignition OFF, press and release the brake pedal.
  1. Press and release the brake pedal.
  1. Position the ignition to OFF position.
  1. The horn will sound once and the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN Left Front (LF) TIRE.
  1. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the special tool must remain in place at the valve stem.

Place the special tool on the Left Front (LF) tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM (body control module).
  1. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the special tool on the Right Front (RF) tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the Right Front (RF) tire pressure sensor.
    Use Special Service Tool: 204-D081A.
  1. NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the BCM will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated and the already trainedTPMSsensors have to be activated again.

Repeat Step 7 for the Right Rear (RR) and Left Rear (LR) tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by positioning the ignition to OFF without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the ignition is positioned to OFF, the training procedure was not successful.

It sounds more complicated than it is. 

I will look on eBay to see what sellers are out there. 

Edit, I looked on eBay and the seller I bought off isn't there any more. Just search for el-50449 Tpms. A few that are alledigly sold from UK/London etc. Now around £9 

Wow - that is not a simple re-learn situation.

Thanks bud, might be easier just to get the tyres swapped on the rims 😄

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sly said:

Wow - that is not a simple re-learn situation.

Thanks bud, might be easier just to get the tyres swapped on the rims 😄

I would have thought most tyre shops should have equipment to do this routine. Check you local ford dealer to see how much they charge. Takes all of 2 mins to do.