Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Security!

focusdriver

I've got a couple of cheap Faraday pouches for my main and spare key. Got them off eBay, I can confirm they work cos I can't unlock the car with the key in the pouch, nor can I start the car if I put the key in the pouch after I've unlocked the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Car-Key-Signal-Blocker-Case-Faraday-Cage-Fob-Pouch-Keyless-RFID-Blocking-Bag/392700364939

I also keep the pouch on me so when I've parked up somewhere I can pop the key in the pouch just in case there is a chancer scanning car parks. Yes, possibly a bit paranoid but you never know!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

To me that looks like what the free fordpass app does. I know when the glass was broken and the alarm went off on my Focus, the app altered me, maybe ok for older cars without the ford app..

Thanks for that.  I'll look into it when I sort out my new car this weekend 😉

if it was keyless and on the original keys its quite likely they just drove off as if they owned it

since 2018 at sensible cost Ford have produced a better key that goes to sleep when not being moved its £72

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/106556/ford-launches-new-keyless-fob-to-combat-relay-attacks

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Frowma said:

I also keep the pouch on me so when I've parked up somewhere I can pop the key in the pouch just in case there is a chancer scanning car parks. Yes, possibly a bit paranoid but you never know!

Never thought of that, and I gave my spare pouch away 🤦‍♀️

Now there is only me at home, so I wrapped the spare fob in tin foil, and stuck it in a drawer that's more or less the furthest from the driveway.

Seems like a lot of hassle for the ‘convenience’ of keyless entry. I like new technology in general but that’s not one I would want even if it was as standard. 

• Like 1

I’d 100% recommend ghost. Had it on my focus mk3 for around 8 months and will have it on any future car I get.

I’ve also got a fake OBD port aswell which cost about a tenner which means that if they try and use the OBD connection, it will power their device but do nothing else... not that it would help anyway as ghost isn’t part of the OBD system! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zece said:

I’d 100% recommend ghost. Had it on my focus mk3 for around 8 months and will have it on any future car I get.

I’ve also got a fake OBD port aswell which cost about a tenner which means that if they try and use the OBD connection, it will power their device but do nothing else... not that it would help anyway as ghost isn’t part of the OBD system! 

Thanks Zece.  Who did you use to install your Ghost immobiliser?  I'm thinking of using these guys: https://ghostinstallations.co.uk/

I opted for a faraday box, rather than a Faraday pouch. Box stays near the front door, and keys go in the box. The pouches are ok, but after a lot of use they tend to lose their faraday-ness. I'm less concerned about any issues when I'm out and about because a) I'm usually parking in a secure place and b) it's lockdown, so I'm never out and about.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, focusdriver said:

Are these actually worth the money though, and are they a good deterrent.  £450 isn't a small amount of money, but I'd consider paying it if keeps the crims away.

Had my ghost fitted for over a year now well worth the money ,only problem i had was when the girlfriend tried moving my car one morning when I've been on night shift. She didn't know about the ghost system and tried moving my car when I was in bed she got nowhere but she did flattern my battery 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevecoo said:

Had my ghost fitted for over a year now well worth the money ,only problem i had was when the girlfriend tried moving my car one morning when I've been on night shift. She didn't know about the ghost system and tried moving my car when I was in bed she got nowhere but she did flattern my battery 

Hahahaha,

My ghost is all lined up to be fitted when my new Focus is delivered 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, focusdriver said:

Hahahaha,

My ghost is all lined up to be fitted when my new Focus is delivered 🙂

Cool... a pre haunted car, who'd have thought LOL

ghost.jpg.9eee6640ea826174e953ef244cd182b9.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your car! Absolute scum.

I had my car broken in to and they tried getting away with it but failed due to me disabling the OBD port so no devices could be plugged in to the port.

few things I have done...

• tracker fitted to the car and relay wires to the fuel pump. Can kill the fuel pump remotely if they do manage to someone start it and bugger off with it!
  • stickers stating tracking device in use and OBD Port disabled.
  • Fake OBD port put in place of the original.. original cable tied far up in the dash.
  • Stoplock for the steering wheel.
  • Faraday pouch for both sets of keys (prevents relay theft)

that’s just my 2p’s worth. Any questions feel free to ask! And a year later I’m still finding glass from them putting the driver side window through! It’s a pain in the back side!

• Like 2

Thanks Monks600, that's really helpful.

So I'm going from nothing except for the bog standard security on my 16 plate Focus to:

* Ghost Alarm immobiliser
* Stoplock
* Sensor floodlight on the car
* 2 x Faraday pouches
* Motion sensor alarm in the passenger door (specifically made for motorbikes) - yet to be tested
* Getting a 20 plate Focus which has the improved key security (goes to sleep after a period)

Probably overkill but it appears this is what you have to do to protect your car these days.  I've been monitoring FB groups around my area (Midlands) and there are about 2-3 cars taken daily, plus the ones that don't get on the FB groups.  A sad state of affairs.

Just now, focusdriver

Thanks Monks600, that's really helpful.

So I'm going from nothing except for the bog standard security on my 16 plate Focus to:

* Ghost Alarm immobiliser
* Stoplock
* Sensor floodlight on the car
* 2 x Faraday pouches
* Motion sensor alarm in the passenger door (specifically made for motorbikes) - yet to be tested
* Getting a 20 plate Focus which has the improved key security (goes to sleep after a period)

Probably overkill but it appears this is what you have to do to protect your car these days.  I've been monitoring FB groups around my area (Midlands) and there are about 2-3 cars taken daily, plus the ones that don't get on the FB groups.  A sad state of affairs.

More than welcome!

seems like you’ve got everything covered upon the arrival of your new car!

it’s a shame the sleeping fob won’t apply to my year. Quite daft really, can’t see there being much different if I’m honest with you. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s just a matter of having someone program the updated fob to your car.

Here in Manchester, it’s absolutely rife at the moment. Past month there’s been a brand new Focus RS stolen and countless fiesta and focus ST’s. What’s funny though, the amount of times someone has looked at my CCTV camera and not even bothered makes me laugh yet they will try the other cars which doesn’t have CCTV covering them. Seems to be more opportunities rather than targeted where I am. The electronic immobiliser was supposed to replaced the crook lock, now it’s like we have took 1 step forward and 2 steps back by using a mechanical lock again. Better to be safe than sorry though!

oh, and it’s it’s any use... on the Mk3 focus the crook lock when not in use slides nicely between the seat and the door when not in use :) saves getting it in and out of the boot!

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 9:39 AM, focusdriver said:

Thanks Zece.  Who did you use to install your Ghost immobiliser?  I'm thinking of using these guys: https://ghostinstallations.co.uk/

Got mine fitted by Car Theft solutions uk. Think they’re predominantly based in the Midlands

9 hours ago, Zece said:

Got mine fitted by Car Theft solutions uk. Think they’re predominantly based in the Midlands

Same here - I've spoken to Luke and it's all lined up for when I've got the new car 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

An update - the Ghost immobiliser has been fitted and I can sleep soundly at night once more..

On a side note, for a few months, I've set an old phone up so that if noise is detected in the car(door opening, window smashing) it'll ring my main phone.  Also, it acts as a car tracker.

This is how I did it:
* Using an old Android phone I had (Samsung Galaxy S7)
* Install a SIM card (I used a giffgaff - £6/month which I was getting for another purpose)
* Install Baby Monitor (free), and configure it to ring your main mobile number on an alert (Google Play)

You can also install Life360 (free) and get alerts if your car leaves your home, and can track it 24/7.

I found the phone battery would last about 1-2 days so plugged in a mobile charger and now it lasts 1 week

Hope this helps someone 🙂 

• Like 2

Ingenious. 

I think the Mk4 app may do most of that 🤔 

On 1/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, focusdriver said:

It seems there are these manual way of doing a siren when there must be a market for a device which you put in the car somewhere (maybe connected to your wifi), and any movement will set off a siren, and alert your phone.. I'm sure it must be out there somewhere but I can't find it.

Would a baby monitor work ? 

You could leave one part in the car and the other receiver in house. Just a random thought as I used to have one in the garden shed yrs ago. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wino said:

Would a baby monitor work ? 

You could leave one part in the car and the other receiver in house. Just a random thought as I used to have one in the garden shed yrs ago. 

😂