Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 FOCUS ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

robt1977

Morning everyone

I’m new to the site but I’m hoping for some help from someone with some knowledge.

I have a 2011 focus 1.6d titanium X. I have some intermittent problems that don’t make any sense and I wondering if anyone has experienced this, or if anyone would know the possible cause.

Here are the issues that I have, but as I say they are intermittent, sometimes its fine, sometimes there are more problems than others! Its weird!

Cruise control – either works or it doesn’t

Tyre pressure malfunction warning appears every now and then – note that the ABS & ESP lights come on at the same time (tyre pressures all ok)

Auto start/stop switch lights up

Ambient lights (including lights in the doors) either work or they don’t

Engine idle is also a little rough

Lots of issues but I’m hoping that it is one thing that could fix it all. Maybe the battery or alternator?

Thank you in advance

Rob

1 hour ago, robt1977 said:

Morning everyone

I’m new to the site but I’m hoping for some help from someone with some knowledge.

I have a 2011 focus 1.6d titanium X. I have some intermittent problems that don’t make any sense and I wondering if anyone has experienced this, or if anyone would know the possible cause.

Here are the issues that I have, but as I say they are intermittent, sometimes its fine, sometimes there are more problems than others! Its weird!

Cruise control – either works or it doesn’t

Tyre pressure malfunction warning appears every now and then – note that the ABS & ESP lights come on at the same time (tyre pressures all ok)

Auto start/stop switch lights up

Ambient lights (including lights in the doors) either work or they don’t

Engine idle is also a little rough

Lots of issues but I’m hoping that it is one thing that could fix it all. Maybe the battery or alternator?

Thank you in advance

Rob

The first thing I always check when you get lots of odd and different random electrical things occurring is check all the Earthing leads / connections wherever you can find them. Sometimes they can look ok, but when releasing the screw , nut or bolt there could be corrosion underneath . 

• Like 1

Thank you, I will spend some time trying to find them 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me in the direction of the location for all the earthing points. The problems are becoming more constant and it seems to be a lot worse in the rain. 

5 hours ago, robt1977 said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of the location for all the earthing points. The problems are becoming more constant and it seems to be a lot worse in the rain. 

When you say it’s becoming worse in the rain , it makes me think there is water getting into a electrical multi plug somewhere. The first obvious choice would be to look in the engine bay areas to see if you can find any multi plug connector  that may have become wet . 

Take a look at your BCM. This is your fuse box under the passenger side glove box. All the issues you are experiencing lead me to believe it’s probably that. Especially when you mention the rain makes it worse.

pull the connectors out and see what you can find. I’ve just had to replace mine due to weird electrical issues on my car and it turned out the washer pump was leaking and through capillary action the washer fluid travelled the length of the engine bay wiring harness and back to the BCM.

here’s what mine looked like...

5557C1DE-91D5-4BC1-85AF-C5AB30BB9AE9.jpg

8E1DC330-38F0-4F53-9573-0D83CB4F5A3C.jpg

3FD2744D-A616-489F-8FCD-D2C7125E0384.jpg

I’ve checked everything that I can find and nothing seems to be wet or tarnished in anyway. 
I’m struggling but I really cannot afford an auto electricians at the moment. 

anyone else able to offer any suggestions. 

Someone suggested a software update, but I didn’t think this could be it? 

Just now, robt1977

I’ve checked everything that I can find and nothing seems to be wet or tarnished in anyway. 
I’m struggling but I really cannot afford an auto electricians at the moment. 

anyone else able to offer any suggestions. 

Someone suggested a software update, but I didn’t think this could be it? 

Did you disconnect the connectors from the BCM and check the pins? The reason I say this, it’s not obvious the water damage on the bcm or the leaking. I doubt you’d see or feel any water on the wiring harness leading to the bcm. You really need to pull the connectors out and check the pins and connectors for corrosion.

failing that, what condition is your battery in and how are positive and negative terminals looking?

On 1/21/2021 at 7:07 PM, Monks600 said:

Did you disconnect the connectors from the BCM and check the pins? The reason I say this, it’s not obvious the water damage on the bcm or the leaking. I doubt you’d see or feel any water on the wiring harness leading to the bcm. You really need to pull the connectors out and check the pins and connectors for corrosion.

failing that, what condition is your battery in and how are positive and negative terminals looking?

I pulled out every plug and checked the pins, nothing obvious visible. battery looks ok! one thing i've also noticed that no matter how cold it is, the engine does pre heat every time I press the start button. so there is a couple of second wait to turn over