Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the 2021MY Manual Transmission have Lane Centering Assist?

Anubis
聽Share

So a few q.s abt the Lane Assist on new Fords. I know it's been discussed here a bit before but was hoping in 2021 they might have updated things considering how driver aids are getting to be fairly standard on all cars.

1) Does the manual now get Lane Centering or is it still Lane Keeping only? Which would be super-annoying. 馃槖

Having driven Audi's with Lane Centering it is by far the coolest feature on modern cars and I'm kinda annoyed that it only appears to be available on the autos. (Ford autos are too clunky for me to even consider at this point).

2) Any point of the Driver Assistance Pack on a manual car if no Lane Centering (assuming I add adaptive headlights which should remove the need of 'Auto High Beam')?

3) Is Lane Keeping with Aid option set on as good as Lane Centering or will the car just ping-pong from white line to white line like a drunken sailor?! 馃檭

I have the ST Line X which has lane keeping assist. Don't think it's lane centering though. Personally I'd argue if it's ping ponging all over then the person driving needs to wake up and pay attention haha

I find it fairly subtle to be honest, if I don't indicate to move lanes I feel it trying to prevent me and just continue my manoeuvre but I never find it intrusive and pretty sure once you're back within the lines it disengages, thus leaving you to make sure it's centered.

I can't comment on more intelligent systems but I'm a good enough driver (I hope) that the only time it will really be of use is if I somehow get distracted and it'll be a warning to pay attention and focus, although I hope that never happens obviously.

I see it as kinda like the bumpers you stick up at bowling for the kids, it'll stop you from bouncing out but you still have to be the one in control. As I said I've never driven one with full assistance so for me, if it had been an option I had to pay for I certainly wouldn't have bothered.

I too have an ST Line X (an estate auto) and it has (as Peejay1977) says got *lane keeping* and I will echo his comments, not intrusive, if you indicate it pauses and allows to move lanes without restriction. I find it a very good option, I didn't spec it as I bought my car used but am grateful for it. It does need a road with visible white lines to the left and right, if your driving down a poorly marked road then it will not work and the lane keeping symbol will turn red. It does not ping you left and right as it reads the road and does keep you in lane, a sort of lane centering but not quite.

Adaptive LEDs (on my 2019) include auto high beam.

Just wanted to add that it's also quite configurable - you can alter the amount of intervention the system applies through the settings on the dash menu; doing this you can go from a subtle vibration if you cross the lane markings to quite a hefty dose of steering assist if you wish. I actually quite like this turned all the way up where you can really feel it pull you into lane (which is surprisingly useful for helping to avoid accidently brushing against roadside foliage on tight, twisty country lanes).

It's a shame the County Councils, who are responsible for line painting, don't seem to have any budget to renew said lines, that will make the new tech redundant!

Get the feeling driving a new car with all the aids is going to be soooooo different from ye olden days when you actually had to drive the car yourself. 馃槃 I see Ford have introduced a new totally hands-free cruise control in the US when it recognises you are on certain roads where self-driving cars are legal. Only a matter of time before it's over here. 馃憤

13 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

which is surprisingly useful for helping to avoid accidently brushing against roadside foliage on tight, twisty country lanes

Worth it just for that. I'm getting the car on a lease so if I scratch it I'll be crying like a baby!

Lane keeping looks like it will be quite a decent addition. Looking forward to driving with it.

And getting the Driver Assistance Pack is only really adding the ability to follow the car in front at a set distance when in cruise. Suspect I will figure out quite soon whether I will be using it all the time or thinking I should have spent 拢525 on a new Xbox X instead! 馃

On 1/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, Anubis said:

And getting the Driver Assistance Pack is only really adding the ability to follow the car in front at a set distance when in cruise. Suspect I will figure out quite soon whether I will be using it all the time or thinking I should have spent 拢525 on a new Xbox X instead! 馃

Mines on a lease and honestly if I could have added the driver assistance pack to mine I would have for that alone. But mine was an in stock deal so I couldn't. My last car had "old fashioned" cruise control just like my Fiesta and it's so infuriating when you set it just right then have to keep disengaging and engaging it constantly due to other cars.

I think the adaptive cruise will be a god send frankly.

1 hour ago, Peejay1977 said:

I think the adaptive cruise will be a god send frankly.

Adaptive cruise and the HUD are the two things I want on every car from now. The HUD I thought would be a pointless gimmick is flippin' great.

• Like 1

Fantastic. Thanks guys. Didn't want to be spending money for the sake of it. Can't wait to try it out 馃..... especially with the Government sneakily making more and more stretches of motorway into permanent 60mph zones and turning normal roads into 'smart roads' just so they can put in variable speed limits. Still, they've got to claw back that record 拢trillion deficit from somewhere! 馃槷

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club