Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Post jump start problems

Sjwhite

Hi all

today I had to get the AA (or rather their contractor Sovereign) to come and help start my car today.  Since then the car has recorded an over heated engine and coolant overheating.  It also drives appalling bunny hopping, rough idle, no real acceleration.

When I said to the AA about the fault lights (spanner and engine) they said it was due to the flat battery (note these have never shown before) so appeared to make sense to me.

I was told to leave the car on for. an hour or leave it about 20 mins and then go for a drive.  So I went for a short drive and it was horrendous.

Is this normal?  Haw something broken?

Why would it show as overheating when cold?

Note:  its an automatic and MK8

A flat battery can cause bezare issues on a modern car, i would get someone to reset the codes, then any that come back will be real codes not codes from jumping the car

• Like 1

If there was no coolant in it or the coolant was frozen then it could show as overheating even when the engine was not fully warmed up. I doubt if it is frozen though because it should have the original Antifreeze in it unless the car had some front end damage that damaged the radiator.

• Like 2

Thank you both  

The coolant is the original and the level is fine, it doesn't look frozen. 

I'll have to ring my garage next week as I don't know anyone who can clear codes.  

It maybe that the sensor has gone or a fuse to the sensor has gone so it has a default mode of overheated?

1 minute ago, Sjwhite said:

Thank you both  

I'll have to ring my garage next week as I don't know anyone who can clear codes.  

It maybe that the sensor has gone or a fuse to the sensor has gone so it has a default mode of overheated?

honestly a car showing overheating when cold isn't the weirdest thing i have seen a car do after a jump start, the weirdest thing i have seen is a car get jump started adn then bounce of the rev limiter before i had to turn it off due to the E-throttle body defaulting to 100% open

• Like 2

Jump starting a modern car is pretty fraught with problems but the good news is that most of the codes clear themselves with a couple of decent  runs to get the power back into the battery and a few normal operating sequences. It hasn't overheated and it hasn't blown a fuse in all probability. It just needs to be used a bit to re learn that it is a motor car.

(Mine had been on a forecourt for months and was jumped to start it but it wasn't right after a 100 mile run home. A month later, I drove it 400 miles in a day and it was a different car the day after. Even in these temperatures, with the heated glass on daily and shortish runs, the stop start works after about five minutes but it takes a good deal of charging to fully recharge a modern car battery fully.)

• Like 1

Hi all

just an update.  Attempted to drive to my garage this morning with error lights still in place (temp and engine management light).

made it no further than half way down the road at max 8 mph.  Limped home 

AA called out and attended really quickly.  Cleared error codes:

System : Engine control 1 - ZCH / Motronic MEDG 17.0P033900 - Crankshaft position sensor. Error Message : Sporadic fault.

P1026 - Unknown fault. Error Message : Malfunction.

P129900 - Cylinder head. Error Message : Overheating protection active.

Car behaved after that. Advised to change battery ASAP due to rapid discharging while reviewing codes etc.

Drove to garage who replaced battery with Ford OEM battery.  Stop start worked for the first time since summer, forgot how annoying it is 🙂

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, Sjwhite said:

Thank you both  

Buy yourself an ELM 327 off eBay :) no more than a tenner and you can clear codes with mobile phone :):)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club