Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Error message on Ford Fiesta Auto. " Transmission Malfunction, Service Now. "

KM1

Hi, Can anyone help please. I have a 2014 Fiesta 1.6 petrol automatic. In December 2019 it would not start and rescue service advised battery was dead. They jump started it and advised I went to Ford dealer as there was a transmission malfunction error displayed. They said this is normal on some models. I had a new ford battery fitted and they also charged me £78 for the gearbox to "learn" the new battery.  I had never come across this before and refused to pay it but they would not release the car so I had to. 13 months later the car would not start yesterday. To be fair it only does a few short journeys so I was not too surprised so recharged it. It started OK today although -6 last night. Called the garage, who are no longer a Ford dealer, as the Transmission Malfunction warning is on again and the gear change all over the place. This time they want £137 to plug in a computer and leave it on for an hour while it resets. They tell me it's because the gearbox module recognised a voltage below 12v. I asked what happens if I don't have it done the technician said nothing, the message just keeps coming on. Does anyone know if it can be reset without going to a dealer?  I have driven the car 14 miles, stopped and driven back home but this did not clear it.  Thanks.

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem.battery was dead and i charged it and now it has that same message and a wrench a

nd engine light on the dash.never heard of a trans. problem after a battery issue.mechanic all my life.

Just like when you change the battery in your watch, you have to reset the time. When the battery in the car has been allowed to run flat then certain things have to be reset.

You can reteach the automatic gearbox (TCM) and clear the fault codes using FORScan. You need to reset the adaptive learning and probably also reteach the gear drum positions. It should take about 10 to 15 minutes.

FORScan: https://forscan.org/download.html

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club