Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk8 battery

fiesta_mk8

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out more about the battery in the Fiesta Mk8 so I can get a suitable replacement. I've been down the long rabbit hole of reading:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/115331-car-battery-mk8/

so as best I can understand it's an EFB-type 096 (even though most sites recommend an EFB100). Which would make you think that something like this would be suitable:

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/batteries/automotive/ybx7000-efb-batteries/ybx7096.html

or the Halfords branded version of the same battery:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/halfords-efb096-start-stop-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-255862.html

However!

I've read elsewhere that the Ford OEM batteries (Varta, image below) are a silver-calcium or 'Calcium Plus' type to accept the higher voltages of the 'smart charge' system, and that using other types can result in overheating or reduced life because they can't accept the higher charge voltages

At this point I'm confused enough to just want to go to a Ford dealer and have them put an OEM battery in... but I'm sure they'll make me pay for the privilege!

Does anyone have any advice please?

Cheers!

IMG_20210106_115059981.jpg

as much as I recommend the OEM battery so as the owner's manual, but generally I recommend varta ,  you can use varta battery finder and specify your make and model and it will give you the most suitable one 

Car battery finder from VARTA® - Find the best and most reliable battery for your car (varta-automotive.com)

note that the MK8 is Fiesta vii on their site 🙂 

Good luck

• Thanks 1

please  note also that you need to reset the battery Monitor System (BMS) after you install the new battery, or the new battery will suffer short service life.

41 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

as much as I recommend the OEM battery so as the owner's manual, but generally I recommend varta ,  you can use varta battery finder and specify your make and model and it will give you the most suitable one 

Car battery finder from VARTA® - Find the best and most reliable battery for your car (varta-automotive.com)

note that the MK8 is Fiesta vii on their site 🙂 

Good luck

And the site, like most others, recommends the EFB 100 (175mm tall) battery, which is definitely not the battery the Mk8 needs! Mine at least... which is 190mm tall.

I'm tempted by just going with the OEM-Varta battery...

5 minutes ago, fiesta_mk8 said:

And the site, like most others, recommends the EFB 100 (175mm tall) battery, which is definitely not the battery the Mk8 needs! Mine at least... which is 190mm tall.

I'm tempted by just going with the OEM-Varta battery...

if different in height does it make any problem ? 

Just now, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

if different in height does it make any problem ? 

Yes - it's not properly secured and you can't fit the connectors as the box gets in the way!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fiesta_mk8 said:

Yes - it's not properly secured and you can't fit the connectors as the box gets in the way!

oh I see, its strange that battery vendors specify an incorrect battery !!

9 minutes ago, fiesta_mk8 said:

Correct, the battery clamp won't secure with too short a battery. Ring your ford dealer and ask the price of an OEM battery

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Correct, the battery clamp won't secure with too short a battery. Ring your ford dealer and ask the price of an OEM battery. 

OEM battery price here in Egypt is about 171 british pounds - 3600 Egyptian pounds

• Like 1

did you see this ? its the same hieght as OEM and same or very close specs also , closer than the one you got with the battery finder 😄 

560 500 064 | Varta Automotive (varta-automotive.com)

see here what might be more suitable 

VARTA® Blue dynamic EFB batteries - Extra power for highly equipped cars with long lasting power (varta-automotive.com)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fiesta_mk8 said:

Thanks guys. I'll get a quote for an OEM battery from the dealer and post it here.

I had mine changed yesterday, Ford branded Varta - £127 plus VAT for the battery.  This was a Ford authorised garage rather than a franchised dealer like Dees

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club