Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Auto high beam in cold weather

mitch84

Hello everyone 

I sometimes find that when I finish work at night and its freezing cold and icy that at the start of my journey the auto high beam does not work, after a while it begins to work, although the other night auto high beam did not activate at all on my 25minute journey home.

The windscreen seemed clear of ice covering sensors which I presume would cause them to stop working, is there any other reason they wouldn't work?

I will try them again tonight.

Thanks 

Not had anything like that and I leave for work at 5am ish each morning.

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Not had anything like that and I leave for work at 5am ish each morning.

same, as soon as it sees the national speed limit signs outside of the area with street lamps, they are straight on, not had any issue like that, sometimes they are slow to turn off when oncoming cars approach but that's neither here nor there.

Ok thanks guys, will see how they go tonight.

20 hours ago, Tom44 said:

same, as soon as it sees the national speed limit signs outside of the area with street lamps, they are straight on, not had any issue like that, sometimes they are slow to turn off when oncoming cars approach but that's neither here nor there.

Ours work on any road, not just national speed limit roads? Our village is 20mph and the high beam comes on. I presume the high beam activates when the street lights finish and no oncoming cars.

One thing i have noticed though is they don't always auto dip for cyclists but they seem to work for motorcyclists...

3 hours ago, Mavroz said:

I presume the high beam activates when the street lights finish and no oncoming cars.

One thing i have noticed though is they don't always auto dip for cyclists but they seem to work for motorcyclists...

yeah think its just due to the street lights.

Also, don't forget, its 10 points for a cyclist. 🤣

• Like 1

They seemed to work ok the other night, sometimes they didn't go on though when they usually do. Perhaps I need to give my windscreen a good clean, anyone recommend a good polish for glass?

I also may replace my windscreen wipers, they tend to smear a bit now, its a 19 plate fiesta and not replaced them yet, Im guessing every 2 years or so is a good time to replace, do you guys get official Ford replacements or something like Bosch?

Thanks 

My Fiesta did and current Focus do this.

I've always just assumed it was a cold sensor and/or bit of condensation until the car has warmed up.

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

My Fiesta did and current Focus do this.

I've always just assumed it was a cold sensor and/or bit of condensation until the car has warmed up.

Yeah thats my thinking, guess when it warms up I will know for sure if the cold weather played a part, will give the windscreen a good clean at the weekend though.

This on all mk8 fiestas if so how do you turn on

Just now, HRF1T2020 said:

This on all mk8 fiestas if so how do you turn on

No it’s an option. 

Without starting a new thread, what front windscreen wipers can you recommend for the fiesta mk8?

Ford ones or go for something like Bosch aerotwin.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:30 AM, mitch84 said:

Without starting a new thread, what front windscreen wipers can you recommend for the fiesta mk8?

Ford ones or go for something like Bosch aerotwin.

You should start a new thread on this, but I normally use Bosch Aerotwin wipers. I have been recommended to use Valeo ones by a few people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim H said:

You should start a new thread on this, but I normally use Bosch Aerotwin wipers. I have been recommended to use Valeo ones by a few people.

It's ok I got some Bosch ones as well😀

thanks

On the auto high beam topic, it's been working fine since, I put it down to cold weather when its icy, i'm guessing the sensor gets a little fogged up.

• Like 1

While we're taking this thread off topic...  Do you have TSR on the Mk8?  

Just noticed something interesting on the Focus...auto high beam comes standard with adaptive LEDs...but is still listed as part of the driver assist pack with TSR & adaptive cruise.  Obviously adaptive cruise would require extra hardware, but I'm guessing TSR must just deactivated in software if the camera is already in place for the auto high beam... 🤔

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just noticed something interesting on the Focus...auto high beam comes standard with adaptive LEDs...but is still listed as part of the driver assist pack with TSR & adaptive cruise.  Obviously adaptive cruise would require extra hardware, but I'm guessing TSR must just deactivated in software if the camera is already in place for the auto high beam... 🤔

You do on Tit X, Active X, ST-L X, Vignale and ST-3.

Strange that equivalent Focuses apparently don't. But when I got a Focus Mk 2.5 Titanium I was surprised to find it didn't have EATC as standard, when the Fiesta Titanium had it. (Though I notice that's now gone from the Titanium on the Mk 8 Fiesta, though the Mk 4 Focus Titanium has it. All part of Ford's plan to baffle their customers!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you have TSR on the Mk8?  

What's TSR?

Going rather off topic but relating to specs being subtly changed. 

Just noticed that the Performance Pack on the petrol ST which was originally £250 I think, has now gone up to £800. Reason seems to be that it now includes CCD which used to be a standard feature on that model.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim H said:

What's TSR?

Traffic Sign Recognition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Mine recognises speed signs, unsure if that’s the same thing, never noticed it recognise anything else.

14 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Mine recognises speed signs, unsure if that’s the same thing, never noticed it recognise anything else.

I have noticed it recognises No overtaking signs and the symbol is displayed on the dash. It is a round sign with two cars side by side.

I may be wrong, but adaptive cruise uses a radar sensor in the grille. TSR, Auto-lights and auto wipers have sensors (and camera) at the top of the windscreen. I have a feeling you can only get adaptive cruise with front parking sensors. I have read the ST can't have it as the sensor interferers with the Front mounted Intercooler.

I don't think the speed signs alone are done by TSR.  They're done by GPS afaik.  If you're getting no overtaking signs then that must be TSR.  You should notice the signs appear as you drive past one if it's done by TSR, GPS is likely to few yards out.

Adaptive cruise does use radar and lidar, but that sensor is also used for active city stop so in theory you probably just need the alternative steering wheel controls for it. (Unless you have an ST as you say) I'm not overly bothered by active cruise though, it wouldn't work where I drive with a manual gearbox.  Would be worth the cost on an auto though as they'll even stop and go in town traffic with it on the Focus.  You just have to steer...for now anyway!!

Tbh it was the auto high beam that I was a bit gutted to miss out on hence looking further into it...but as I've now found out it should be standard with the adaptive LEDs I just wondered if I could enable TSR with Forscan in future. :smile:

17 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't think the speed signs alone are done by TSR.  They're done by GPS afaik.  If you're getting no overtaking signs then that must be TSR.  You should notice the signs appear as you drive past one if it's done by TSR, GPS is likely to few yards out.

Adaptive cruise does use radar and lidar, but that sensor is also used for active city stop so in theory you probably just need the alternative steering wheel controls for it. (Unless you have an ST as you say) I'm not overly bothered by active cruise though, it wouldn't work where I drive with a manual gearbox.  Would be worth the cost on an auto though as they'll even stop and go in town traffic with it on the Focus.  You just have to steer...for now anyway!!

Tbh it was the auto high beam that I was a bit gutted to miss out on hence looking further into it...but as I've now found out it should be standard with the adaptive LEDs I just wondered if I could enable TSR with Forscan in future. :smile:

Speed signs are done by TSR, I can tell this as the speed sign pops up on the dash as soon as I approach the sign and the cars camera is in distance to read it.

Not ever had overtaking sign on dash though, but Ive not been on any roads that have them on my work route.

• Like 1