Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Auto high beam in cold weather

mitch84

13 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Not ever had overtaking sign on dash though, but I've not been on any roads that have them on my work route.

Well, that might explain it then... :g::biggrin: 

If speed signs are done by TSR though, I don't understand why they're in different packages.  My Mk4 TitX had speed signs but no TSR...hence assuming it must have been done by GPS.  

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, that might explain it then... :g::biggrin: 

If speed signs are done by TSR though, I don't understand why they're in different packages.  My Mk4 TitX had speed signs but no TSR...hence assuming it must have been done by GPS.  

Im not sure, It just doesn't feel like its done via gps to me, it seems to precise with the signs as I approach to be gps, I remember going past a speed sign that was partially obscured and the dash did not update the correct speed for that road until I past another sign.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Im not sure, It just doesn't feel like its done via gps to me, it seems to precise with the signs as I approach to be gps, I remember going past a speed sign that was partially obscured and the dash did not update the correct speed for that road until I past another sign.

Just realised yours is an X anyway, so should have TSR according to Roger.  I'd you've got TSR then it will use that to pick up speed signs, but if not then maybe speed signs are done by GPS instead.

I'll have to wait and see what my new Focus picks up when I eventually get it, might just be Ford's spec list wrong!  Probably another 6 weeks or so to wait though... :sad:

• Like 1

I have about 3 sensors on my windscreen cluster, one of them looks like a camera, would this be the TSR?

12 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I have about 3 sensors on my windscreen cluster, one of them looks like a camera, would this be the TSR?

Yes. the camera is TSR, then other two are sensors for Auto-lights and Auto-wipers.

• Thanks 1

I think Tom is right when he said TSR uses both GPS and the camera to detect speed limits. I can remember once when the sat-nav went wrong, probably lost signal. It thought I was in a town and showed 30 mph on dash, when I was actually on a duel carriageway (NSL). It also uses the camera as it picks up road-works speed limits.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Yes. the camera is TSR, then other two are sensors for Auto-lights and Auto-wipers.

I will have to check if I got adaptive cruise control, I don't have front parking sensors though so perhaps not. I never have used cruise control since owning the car so no idea how it works, need to read the owners manual😄

22 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I think Tom is right when he said TSR uses both GPS and the camera to detect speed limits. 

It does. As this Ford blurb says, the camera is supplemented by GPS data when available.

We're going off topic as usual😀, but there are several threads on here specifically about various issues with TSR and GPS.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/technical-and-maintenance/car-features/traffic-sign-recognition

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mitch84 said:

I will have to check if I got adaptive cruise control, I don't have front parking sensors though so perhaps not. I never have used cruise control since owning the car so no idea how it works, need to read the owners manual😄

I might be wrong on that. I may be thinking of 'option packs' in the brochure. The radar sensor is a square box in the lower grille under the front number plate. 

An easy way of telling is if the left hand button (cancel) of steering wheel is split in two. If it is you have it, if not then you have standard cruise. If the right hand button of those controls is not split, then you only have a speed limiter. I didn't realise that and was one of the main reasons why I bought a ST-LX not a ST-Line which I was originally looking for.

• Like 1

Not sure what speed sign recognition uses but it cannot be the camera on the windscreen.

I say this as where I live, the speed limit bizarrely was reduced from 60mph to a 40mph "zone" a while back with 40mph signs along the route. Some sections of this road still show as 60mph in the car but there are 40mph signs.

All I can think is this is due to speeds being relayed to the car via GPS. 

I also say this as with the Mrs last Mk8 with the sometimes defective GPS, the speed signs didn't always show.

I cannot say I have seen any other sign displayed in my Car other than speed and I have an "X" also.

Will he a look at the wife's new car when I get chance to see if that displays anything other than speeds.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:16 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It does. As this Ford blurb says, the camera is supplemented by GPS data when available.

We're going off topic as usual😀, but there are several threads on here specifically about various issues with TSR and GPS.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/technical-and-maintenance/car-features/traffic-sign-recognition

Yep as Roger says, am sure it's both - mine will display a changed speed limit sign just after driving past it, but it evidently uses GPS/map data too as it will display a guess at the speed limit if there's no sign to read. (Mine is a 68-plate Titanium, no adaptive cruise control). 

It does display no overtaking signs too but these are rare. I think in Etis spec lists it appears as speed sign recognition rather than traffic sign, which seems more accurate...

I doubt the value of the system tbh as it never shows a sign before I've seen it, doesn't always respond that quickly and can't read signs in some places  - I don't think it sees the overhead gantry ones on 'smart' motorways for instance. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club