Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LED light replacement: MOT failure from 1st Feb 2021

DAVEWILL5

Just seen this posted in the Ford Edge facebook group

From 1st Feb 2021 for your info ..... Upgrades from halogen to LED headlight bulbs now MOT failure

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to.....

'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

This is nothing new. All they have done is clarify the wording to meet the requirements.

The tester still has to prove they're LED or Xenon lights, and as long as it meets the beam pattern then they won't care anyway.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi All

Still dont get much time to get on here nowadays, and App still not working on my mobile (no-one knows why)

Just like to say here that my Edge recently had its 3rd mot (15 August)

Sailed through no problems (I did Led headlight conversion couple of years ago).

Not a single mention about headlights

Stay safe

Happy motoring

Dave

• Like 1

Just had our 66 plate Edge MOT’d passed no problems.  But I did replace  the LED head lamp bulbs with candles for the MOT.

Asked about LED Bulbs if fitted and it would of failed!!

candles have now been removed!!

4482F8CB-AB9F-4791-871A-0A8A2EE670B9.jpeg

The far easier way to change the bulbs is to remove the units 2 bolts a plastic locating screw and 1 electrical connection.

2B931D90-BDC1-4F25-BC42-574265CDFBB9.jpeg

• Like 1

As per my other post yesterday, mine has LED upgraded bulbs for high/low & DRL and the patterns are spot on, passed its MOT fine yesterday no drama's

Could be lucky, or it could be an MOT tester using discretion as the light pattern and displacement are fine

Edge LED's.jpg

I think if the beam is good at a glance, the tester will not even consider the fact that LEDs are fitted.  If the beam was off, he/she might then wonder why by looking at the bulbs. It’s easy to see that LEDs are fitted after all, unlike old glass headlamps with patterned glass, where you may have had to remove the bulb to see. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club