Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2021 Digital Dash

daverob

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Too expensive and not enough people chose it I suspect...

I posted an article in another thread about the 1.5EB having to be shipped over from the US, making the Fiesta and Puma ST's more expensive, so I'd guess that's why they've dropped the 1.5 from the Focus.  I doubt many people bought the 182ps so they can get away with just a 155ps 1.0.  I don't know why they haven't mated an MHEV to an autobox yet though...  Probably something to do with emissions.

That sounds about right - I've been casually checking AutoTrader to keep my eye on Vignale prices and any that were bought as 1.5s seem to always be the 150ps which is a shame, but that's just the way the general public buy!

I've wondered about the MHEV with auto too, maybe it's because the car would start moving without the engine running meaning no pump running in the auto 'box, so either couldn't hold drive or select it in the first place. So when the time comes for the engine to kick in it'd have to engage the first gear when moving which isn't great for planetary gearsets? That said, the Germans have managed it...

Just now, Guy Heaton said:

Unless they produce a decent midrange Focus auto, with similar performance to the 182, they'll have one less customer in me anyway.

I wonder if they're bothered, Guy. Keep reading stuff in the financial pages that hints at Ford abandoning the European market, as GM have done, at least for cars, to concentrate on commercials. 

I understand their recent tie up with VW will see them produce commercials for VW, and they have a deal to use VW's electric car platform. So we might see VW producing an electric "Focus" for them if they decide to keep a toe in the car market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

And they must be getting desperate.  Just had an email off the local dealer, free Ipad with every car purchase.

I thought they came as standard ?

Also known as the infotainment center 😄

• Haha 3

Aye, I can understand that there's no money to be made by Ford for automatic hatchbacks.

There’s demand though. Modern day autos are as quick and economical as manuals. Anyway changing gear is a chore. 

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

There’s demand though. Modern day autos are as quick and economical as manuals. Anyway changing gear is a chore. 

People wanting autos can buy full electrics... :wink: 

2 hours ago, karlbbb said:

That sounds about right - I've been casually checking AutoTrader to keep my eye on Vignale prices and any that were bought as 1.5s seem to always be the 150ps which is a shame, but that's just the way the general public buy!

I've wondered about the MHEV with auto too, maybe it's because the car would start moving without the engine running meaning no pump running in the auto 'box, so either couldn't hold drive or select it in the first place. So when the time comes for the engine to kick in it'd have to engage the first gear when moving which isn't great for planetary gearsets? That said, the Germans have managed it...

Are you looking for auto only?  The manual 1.5 Vignales are all 182s, the auto Vignales are only 150ps.  Titanium/TX was only 150ps.

The MHEV motor doesn't drive the wheels alone at any point.  You can think of it more like an extra turbo, it only adds power while the engine is running.  It's a bit of a gimmick really.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

And there's plenty of choice available - virtually impossible to find anything much above 150ps from VW Group, PSA Group, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc, etc without automatic.

Those of us who still prefer DIY gear changing, on the other hand, are having difficulty finding a decent manual.

4 hours ago, karlbbb said:

Yes, as Tom says, it just harvests energy that would otherwise be wasted while on the overrun, braking etc and stores it in the battery to give you a boost when required. In the Ford 1.0 it permits a bigger turbo on the 155 version, overcoming turbo lag lower down which would result otherwise. I guess they slightly cut fuel consumption/CO2 in the test cycles.

The Germans (VW Group in particular) seem to have no problem mating them to auto/automated boxes. I read a piece by a senior VW Group technical guy who said the reason there was no manual on the  MHEV versions of the new Golf/A3/Leon/Octavia was so the driver couldn't mess up their carefully calculated algorithms.

None of these things, afaik, can run on electric power alone, so they won't be exempt from the new petrol sales ban in 2030.

I couldn't imagine having such a big car as a Focus with a tiddly little 1litre engine, hybrid or not. Especially the estate which I have. My neighbour has an A6 avant and the MK4 focus estate is as big as it 😨

6 minutes ago, Frowma said:

I couldn't imagine having such a big car as a Focus with a tiddly little 1litre engine, hybrid or not. Especially the estate which I have. My neighbour has an A6 avant and the MK4 focus estate is as big as it 😨

I've got the 1.0 125PS with 6-speed auto in my Mk3.5 estate - the engine is absolutely fine. Held 70mph on the motorway over the Pennines even with 4 adults and bags in the car with no issues.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frowma said:

182 engine and auto box, one Vignale, two Titanium X and 17 ST-Lines (probably Xs).

When ordering mine I thought the 182 engine was only in ST Line X and Vignale. All other 1.5L getting the 150ps version.  
Summer 2019 

• Like 1

Yeah 182 is stlx only, and vignale.  Well it was 😂

• Haha 1

But Ford wouldn’t change specifications without making it clear to their customers? 

• Haha 3

Reading this thread nudged a memory of mine in that people here go into minutiae of detail, the engine spec, drive train, trim levels, an ever ending option list etc etc.

When my mum bought her very first new car back in 1973 (a Datsun 120Y), she chose the colour she wanted, and that was it... 🤣

• Like 1

It's the modern tyranny of choice.  Like coffee.  Back in the day ground coffee came in three flavours dark, medium and light. You knew which one you liked and bought it.  Now there's a whole ***** row of coffee in your supermarket and you haven't a clue.

We have more choice now but I'm not sure we are better for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Great point! I've often wondered why there is a full aisle both sides in my local supermarket for 'bread', it has conditioned our youngsters to expect everything all at once, and when something in the supply chain fails (like when KFC recently ran out of chicken because of a new courier issue) they call 999 as they have a total irrational panic attack! 🤣

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

the modern tyranny of choice

I like that one. I could see some politico taking it up as a slogan!😀

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

It's the modern tyranny of choice.  Like coffee.  Back in the day ground coffee came in three flavours dark, medium and light. You knew which one you liked and bought it.  Now there's a whole ***** row of coffee in your supermarket and you haven't a clue.

I'd sooner go back to the old days of L GL GLS S SE and Ghia along with the rest at least then you knew what was in the car from the start not like todays market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I'd sooner go back to the old days of L GL GLS S SE and Ghia along with the rest at least then you knew what was in the car from the start not like todays market.

What about the XLR, GT, GT-XLR? XR2, XR3 etc? But you're quite right, us oldens knew where we stood with just a couple of letters 👌

I was originally looking to buy a Fiesta (before the missus said we really needed an estate 🙄). I was planning on a Vignale, it was around the time when they changed the range to Vignale edition rather than just Vignale, the prices had gone up but the original Vignale Fiesta came with the pan roof as standard, the more expensive edition version has the pan roof as a cost option!

19 minutes ago, Frowma said:

What about the XLR, GT, GT-XLR? XR2, XR3 etc? But you're quite right, us oldens knew where we stood with just a couple of letters 👌

I owned an XR2 (Mk1), and XR3i, and RS Turbo! Yep, a few letters said it all...

The choice we get these days is fine, as long as you're buying something new. It makes the second-hand market a minefield though. I remember having to learn to look for things in pictures to know what optional extras a car had - like looking for the Sony logo on the door pillar Speakers and lane departure logo on the indicator stalk when I was hunting for my Mk3.5

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club