Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed glow plugs now car hard to start and runs rough focus 1.8tdci

Dips609
聽Share

Hi all I recently changed glow plugs on my focus 1.8 tdci due to cold weather starting issues and they were knackered. Problem is now the car starts and runs poorly. It sounds like an fuel issue like a misfire.

I've changed glow plugs on pre commonrail 1.8 engines before no problem but with this I saw I had to removed the fuel rail to get to the glow plugs. After i was done i tried to bleed the system post pump as I normally would if touching the fuel system. Now the car runs rough as if poor firing and noticed this morning it was harder to start again.

Sorry if theres similar threads but all others mentioned changing filters but I didn't. It had one changed in July I believe. Car ran fine other than starting issues in cold before.

What did I do wrong? Or miss out?

Tried my small fault code reader but unfortunately cant connect. No lights on dash either.

Any help greatly appreciated

Hmm sounds like a bit of a 'mare having to remove the common rail to change the gps. 馃槥 if you had a working code reader it would tell you if an injector isn't connected properly.. why not invest in a good budget one from tunnelrat electronics approx 拢20, you download Forscan to run on a laptop, or they do an Android聽 version too.

If you disconnect each injector in turn, is there one that makes no difference to the engine when you pull the plug?... thats where I'd start.聽

Yes have been thinking about getting a code reader like one you suggested so could use it on more models. But I've never had a problem with mine reading fords before. It's even read this car before. One of the things I did try it disconnect injector wiring again clean up terminals after it ran rough thinking it mightve got dirt on contact but no joy. I tried the reader as it would've confirmed which cylinder as you say but I kept suspecting number 2 despite noticing bubbles from no1 glow plug which was cured with tightening slightly. I only suspect no 2 because I tried using a piece of metal on each injector to see if I could detect something. Not sure if it works on this type though but no 2 seemed a little different. On a run today it died a few times and other times had the odd loss of power then picked聽up normally. When first started it died several times when idling.

Re readers, the one you use with Forscan you can monitor live data too. Did you try disconnecting the injectors in turn? Did it run fine before you did the work (sorry, had to ask...)聽