Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 mondeo 2.0 tdci cutting out

bigjimmyauk

Quick background 2.0 TDCI purchased at 100k and done 80k in 4/5 years since I purchased its had, new injectors,turbo,dmf and clutch and a few other cheaper bits.

Recently within the last few weeks its cutting out without warning it will either start straight back up or take anything from 10 seconds to 20 minutes to get going again. Its had a leak of test done and injectors are good, fuel filter been changed. Been on ford diagnostics which shows nothing wrong at all prior to the cut(basically drove around until it cut out)

At a complete loss now, 3 garages have said they wouldn't know where to start and I've already done/had done the tests they would do.

I'm hoping with it being a 15 year old car and being many members on here someone might have encountered a similar issue which could possibly give me a starting point to look at myself.

Bit of a crapper as its the daily driver for work. Not really keen on putting 400/500 down for a run around to potentially be in the same position again(my track history with cheap motors isn't good)

Long post i know thanks in advance

Sorry not sure why its all black i copied from another forum I posted for help in 

• Haha 1

What colour is the cam sensor? Black ones are dodgy, the replacement grey ones are OK. I think cam and crank sensor faults are least likely to throw up codes. 

The mk3 tdci is a mature product, I think all known problems have been discovered by now. If you don't get any ideas from this forum, try asking on talkford.com as it has an active mk3 section. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicam49 said:

What colour is the cam sensor? Black ones are dodgy, the replacement grey ones are OK. I think cam and crank sensor faults are least likely to throw up codes. 

The mk3 tdci is a mature product, I think all known problems have been discovered by now. If you don't get any ideas from this forum, try asking on talkford.com as it has an active mk3 section. 

I've just replaced the sensor today with a delphi grey one. £22 so worth a try. Someone on another forum also suggested to try driving around with the filler cap loose and the fuel breather may be blocked. If it cuts out again after the cam sensor replacement I might try the filler cap method 

Was the original cam sensor black then? 

Do the dash lights for the EML and glowplugs light up when you 1st turn the key? Some dodgy sellers blank the lights so they don't show to indicate a fault. (they're leds so it's not a case removing a bulb) 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club