Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My MK4 Fiesta - Puma Conversion

sleepyhimiko

Hey! My name is Ben, I own a 1999 MK4 Fiesta 1.3l and I'm interested in doing a 1.7 puma conversion!

Any help or advice would be appreciated! 

frank.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

Hello, welcome, good luck with the conversion. Just out of interest, why not buy a puma?

I think it would be a fun project and a good chance for me to learn something new ☺️ Although the puma is a very lovely and fun car, I just really love the look and shape of Fords older hatchbacks and really want to get the same power as what you'd get in a puma 😅

• Like 1

Tuning your mk6? How's that going?? Was looking into the capabilities of the 1.3 but it's really not worth tuning it apparently! Feels so sluggish as standard though, so maybe a little tune wouldn't hurt 🤔 

19 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

The mk6 1.25 has 75 hp so not so bad, I have a sports cat to put on and will in all likelihood get a cat back exhaust too. Have plans to stage 1 & 2 remap, possible cams upgrade and I have my eye on a small supercharger that will possibly increase power by 20% through the rev range. Have had the throttle body bored to a larger spec which has helped with performance. Also installed a malpassi rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and high power coil with magnacor sports ignition leads, ngk iridium plugs. It’s running pretty good already but it’s kind of a hobby to tune I had for some time now.

Jheez man! it's sounding very nice so far! my mk4 only has 59 hp 😥 checked with a tuning company near me and if tuned, the 1.3 would only make an extra 8-10 hp so not much of an increase! even more reason for me to do a conversion lol. I've put a sportex backbox and race pipe on and really want to slap a 4-2-1 decat manifold on, done lowering springs (plans for coilovers to come) and started the zs bodykit (still trying to find a rear bumper and some skirts which are seeming hard to come by at the moment). I also fixed my idle issue last night! was well chuffed with myself!  

7 hours ago, Chaz84 said:

Nice mk4 the 1.6 ztech would fit in that

it could do actually! :0 would it be a simpler swap than the puma engine?

1 hour ago, FiestaForever said:

I think you could achieve a bit more than 8-10 extra bhp, but would cost some money to do. I think perhaps throwing a puma engine in would solve that issue in one go and then you would have the option to add more later. I think puma is around the 125bhp mark so that would be a considerable upgrade to the 59hp. I would be happy with just over 100 with mine to be fair but any more would be a bonus.

Won't you have an issue with MOT test results with the decat system, thought it might not pass the exhaust fume test without a cat. What shape sportex exhaust do you have? I have been looking at their cat back systems, was interested in either the twin round back box or the boxta one.

iwwaBva.jpgAHPysST.jpg

this is the sports cat/manifold I got here waiting to be fitted.

IMG_1606.thumb.JPG.984bd8e051b82afc8c3cb8a2bfee378c.jpg.6371cbd4d0bcd021e3f17503b04fe8fb.jpg

That's what I was thinking and why I want to drop the puma engine in! The MOT would fail with the decat so I may see if I can get a cat back system sorted sometime! I don't have the MOT until November so there is time to do a few bits and source some parts!

This is the exhaust system I have in at the moment! Just a single exit 3" backbox which I think looks quite smart on the old boy! it was the first modification I made to the fez and I'm very glad I did it! sounds way better than the standard system!  

06079c92880f0061090c02439236fb7b.thumb.jpg.d9c0a8ee58d835702505dc667cca85b9.jpg

I personally like the twin exit that you attached, would look very nice once it's on! I couldn't decide between a hoffmann system or a sportex at first! I've had a gander for a sports cat for my mk4 but can't find anything 😕 

New carpet in new vents just the roll cage and the exhaust to be done then back to the engine fun nerve stops

09CBAC04-9E54-494B-AC69-BC87BED3AFEA.jpg

F9F17127-8B52-4A1B-BE06-D219BA1A63D2.jpg

the noise dose get a bit much on a long drive but 4 bolts easy swap in and out lol

But a won’t de cat this one be customised exhaust and manifold thinking of turbocharging at the end off summer

Cutting wasn’t to bad tbh just have all the prep ready lime make templates mark it do all the measurements Mach up cover the engine tape it down a used blocks off wood good metal drill bit. And a jigsaw and went at it lol

A good adhesive and some wooded blocks and ratchets to hold it down to let it cure make sure to use primer on the metal you cut

Yeah mite do a did get some with mine but a thought last thing you want is going down the track or motorway and it well coming off lol

If it’s something you fancy doing go for it just cut it my mate has a rs focus he he was laughing expecting a call from that a messed up lol but it was easy

15 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

Exhaust looks nice brother, the sportex are good value for money. They have a deeper sound than oe exhaust.

Shame you cannot find a specific exhaust for the mk4, I’m sure I saw a universal 200cpi sports cat pipe somewhere on the net. You would get a header or other manifold, and then have the universal sports cat in the middle section with that setup.

Maybe something like this??

1513740941_Screenshot2021-01-23143413.thumb.png.7c6472c674dc007a44446d30cc2b0a08.png 

12 hours ago, Chaz84 said:

And custom build exhaust are not too expensive

How much would you say one would typically be??

Get a full custom exhaust from the cat to the back for 380 for a 4” single system

7 hours ago, FiestaForever said:

Yeah like that sort of thing, except I would go for a 200 cell high flow catalyst to pass mot, unless you feel like you want to swap it out every year or it will only be used on track.

Ah gotcha! will look into that soon then! May just wait until I drop a puma engine in to do that though and make it worth getting. When are you planning on putting your sports cat on?