Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8tdci losing power, bad fuel efficiency

Zejd
聽Share

Hello guys, i have a 2005 focus mk2 1.8tdci and i have a hard time turning it on, lot of white/blueish smoke is coming out of the exhaust but once I drive off the smoke stops coming out that much. Also I have bad fuel economy.. it has around 30 mpg (8l/100km). Also, while I'm driving it sometimes has a sudden loss of power it doesnt get jerky or anything just seems like slowing down for a second and going back to normal

Please help and thank you all in advance

Some of my guesses are fuel injectors or fuel pump problems but i might be wrong 馃様

Some of my guesses are fuel injectors or fuel pump problems but i might be wrong 馃様

On 1/18/2021 at 10:35 PM, Zejd said:

The MK2 1.8 TDCi isn't known for premature pump/injector failures (apart from the 2008-2009 builds that had crappy injectors).

It could be any number of things, have you had the car checked to see if there any any stored error codes.聽 If you have a Windows laptop you can use Forscan (it's free) to check/clear codes AND monitor any of the sensors on the car, you would just need to buy a good quality ELM320 cable such as this one

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, Zejd said:

6 minutes ago, FatHead1979 said:

The MK2 1.8 TDCi isn't known for premature pump/injector failures (apart from the 2008-2009 builds that had crappy injectors).

It could be any number of things, have you had the car checked to see if there any any stored error codes.聽 If you have a Windows laptop you can use Forscan (it's free) to check/clear codes AND monitor any of the sensors on the car, you would just need to buy a good quality ELM320 cable such as this one

馃様

Thank you so much for the reply, the car was already checked and didnt show any error codes, but the problem is still there聽

White smoke on start up is usually the glow plugs, prior to having mine changed I used to get a huge plume of white smoke on initial start in cold weather.

To be honest there isn't much to go on, have you checked for boost leaks?聽 (The small 90' angled hose to the left of the EGR is a prime culprit for splitting on the underside.聽 Unfortunately because it's black and usually covered in oily grime, it can be hard to see a crack even if there IS one).聽 The easiest way to check that I found was to get the engine nice and warm so any air escaping will be nice and warm i.e. easy to feel.聽 Get someone to rev and hold the engine at 4000 RPM whilst you feel round the hose for any warm air blowing out.聽 The pipework also goes to the front of the engine bay to and from the intercooler but these hoses are typically less prone to splitting.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FatHead1979 said:

White smoke on start up is usually the glow plugs, prior to having mine changed I used to get a huge plume of white smoke on initial start in cold weather.

To be honest there isn't much to go on, have you checked for boost leaks?聽 (The small 90' angled hose to the left of the EGR is a prime culprit for splitting on the underside.聽 Unfortunately because it's black and usually covered in oily grime, it can be hard to see a crack even if there IS one).聽 The easiest way to check that I found was to get the engine nice and warm so any air escaping will be nice and warm i.e. easy to feel.聽 Get someone to rev and hold the engine at 4000 RPM whilst you feel round the hose for any warm air blowing out.聽 The pipework also goes to the front of the engine bay to and from the intercooler but these hoses are typically less prone to splitting.

Thank you very much for the advice. Glow plugs symbol does appear on the cluster when turning on the car, but I keep getting told that thats normal in the cold weather.. I will also try to check the hose near the EGR and I hope I will find the cause and the solution soon. Cheers to you kind sir

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 11:18 PM, Zejd said:

Hello guys, i have a 2005 focus mk2 1.8tdci and i have a hard time turning it on, lot of white/blueish smoke is coming out of the exhaust but once I drive off the smoke stops coming out that much. Also I have bad fuel economy.. it has around 30 mpg (8l/100km). Also, while I'm driving it sometimes has a sudden loss of power it doesnt get jerky or anything just seems like slowing down for a second and going back to normal

Please help and thank you all in advance

Just an advise on changing engine oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter, these surely influence your mpg. Also glow plugs need to be checked and if required replaced.聽

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

Just an advise on changing engine oil and filter, air filter and fuel filter, these surely influence your mpg. Also glow plugs need to be checked and if required replaced.聽

oil and filter change was done about 6 months ago, but I will sure check those glow plugs. Thanks for the advice 馃榾

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club