Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sudden Loss of Heater/Coolant Then Oil Pressure Light = Head Gasket?

portalman

Hey,

I've just racked up 220,000 miles, vehicle serviced every 7,000 miles / 3 months. Was just serviced last week with a little coolant top up too.

Driving into Blackwall tunnel, I turned off the heating, as soon as I exited, I turned the climate control back on set to auto. After a few minutes I realised cold air blowing instead of hot air. I set it to max to see what would happen but nothing. It was freezing cold air. Thinking it was a solenoid or something to do with a sensor I ignored it.

After about 5-10 miles and half hour or so, the low oil pressure warning lamp came on. Suprised I pulled over to check the oil on the dipstick. Checked it a few times and all is good. Restarted the car and no warning lights.

Drove it back to my mechanic around 15 miles away (coasting @ 50mph, low RPM) As I pulled up I noted an ever so slight burning smell, but only slight. I switched off the engine, and noticed the engine fans where on full blast which has never happened before.

After some snooping around, he checked the coolant which had drained by at least HALF (maybe more) He advised I leave it with him and he will take a look in a few days (this was the weekend)

First I thought optimistically that it was a split hose or loose coolant cap that caused the loss of coolant. But why then would the low oil pressure light illuminate? I'm bracing for the worst, possible head gasket or worse yet cracked block/head.

All advice welcome!

Thanks!

Did your temperature gauge shoot up as well? (Potential heater matrix issue)

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Did your temperature gauge shoot up as well? (Potential heater matrix issue)

Hi, nope temp gauge was bang on the middle as always. That's why I didn't think to check the coolant to be honest.

I just don't get how the vehicle SUDDENLY lost all coolant with no visible leaks. Is it known for the oil pressure light to appear randomly?

Stabbing at the dark here, hoping for the best.

Wow...I dread to think how much you've spent on all that servicing!  It's really not needed on modern engines with modern oil technology.  

Which engine is it?  Loss of coolant and oil pressure aren't uncommon on the 1.0 EcoBoosts...but I'll be amazed if you've done 220k on one of those!!  So I guess it's one of the diesels?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Wow...I dread to think how much you've spent on all that servicing!  It's really not needed on modern engines with modern oil technology.  

Which engine is it?  Loss of coolant and oil pressure aren't uncommon on the 1.0 EcoBoosts...but I'll be amazed if you've done 220k on one of those!!  So I guess it's one of the diesels?

ooops sorry! Forgot to mention the engine!

It's a 2.0 TDCI 2013 140bhp.

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, portalman said:

ooops sorry! Forgot to mention the engine!

It's a 2.0 TDCI 2013 140bhp.

Thanks!

Ah, that is quite surprising, we very rarely get any threads on those at all...let alone engine failures!  

I'm struggling to think of a scenario that would link both a loss of coolant and then a loss of oil pressure, without some visual signs of leaks.  I suppose it's possible the water leaked onto the wiring loom and shorted the oil pressure sensor...but that seems pretty unlikely without any further electrical symptoms.  It's also possible the coolant dropped low enough to cause hotspots in the head, which then cracked and started dumping oil, but as you say the oil level was ok that doesn't seem likely either.  I'm also wondering if the turbo on these is water-cooled...that could've overheated and cracked, allowing oil to escape...but again the level should've dropped.  I'm stumped tbh, will definitely be interested to hear what the outcome is!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, that is quite surprising, we very rarely get any threads on those at all...let alone engine failures!  

I'm struggling to think of a scenario that would link both a loss of coolant and then a loss of oil pressure, without some visual signs of leaks.  I suppose it's possible the water leaked onto the wiring loom and shorted the oil pressure sensor...but that seems pretty unlikely without any further electrical symptoms.  It's also possible the coolant dropped low enough to cause hotspots in the head, which then cracked and started dumping oil, but as you say the oil level was ok that doesn't seem likely either.  I'm also wondering if the turbo on these is water-cooled...that could've overheated and cracked, allowing oil to escape...but again the level should've dropped.  I'm stumped tbh, will definitely be interested to hear what the outcome is!

I could only hope for something like this, would be a much less costly fix. The odd part is the oil pressure light disappeared when I restarted the engine. I then drove around 15 miles and the light never came back. oil was definitely checked and it was bang on the max line, as it was serviced the week before. No signs of visible oil loss either. Really puzzled.

Hoping for the best, bracing for the worst, what kind of cost would I be looking at for a full head/gasket job?

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, portalman said:

I could only hope for something like this, would be a much less costly fix. The odd part is the oil pressure light disappeared when I restarted the engine. I then drove around 15 miles and the light never came back. Oil was definitely checked and it was bang on the max line, as it was serviced the week before. No signs of visible oil loss either. Really puzzled.

Hoping for the best, bracing for the worst, what kind of cost would I be looking at for a full head/gasket job?

Thanks!

Hmm, if you drove for another 15 miles with no pressure light and no horrendous rattling then the oil pressure must have been fine.

I'd focus on the water leak first.  Hopefully that won't be too expensive, just a pipe, cap or reservoir.  Worst case it might be the waterpump at around £400 including the cambelt kit.

IF you needed a replacement used engine due to a cracked block or head you'd be looking at high hundreds with parts and labour so I'd try not think about that for now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, if you drove for another 15 miles with no pressure light and no horrendous rattling then the oil pressure must have been fine.

I'd focus on the water leak first.  Hopefully that won't be too expensive, just a pipe, cap or reservoir.  Worst case it might be the waterpump at around £400 including the cambelt kit.

IF you needed a replacement used engine due to a cracked block or head you'd be looking at high hundreds with parts and labour so I'd try not think about that for now.

Thanks man!

My only concern now is, the hot engine smell that came from the engine bay when I stopped at the mechanics. I hope I didn't do serious wear/damage to the engine running it with no water. Thankfully it was a carriage way most of the drive so no stop/starting.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had the same thing, it was the oil pump leaked in the water system, and eventually we noticed this as the coolant had oil in it. Replaced the oil pump, but should have replaced the thermostat as it was all ok, but the oil must have damaged the thermostat. Hope this helps. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, RSTURBO48 said:

I had the same thing, it was the oil pump leaked in the water system, and eventually we noticed this as the coolant had oil in it. Replaced the oil pump, but should have replaced the thermostat as it was all ok, but the oil must have damaged the thermostat. Hope this helps. 

Good grief LOL There's a whole raft of 2 year old thread revivals recently, have they all just escaped lockdown?? 🤣

• Haha 2

These things seem to come in waves, I suspect some kind of Bot. 🤔

Have you noticed in the last two weeks there have be no new members joining and leaving their profiles blank ?

perhaps there have been and I've just missed them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club