Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help. At a loss

Shadow1066

Hi all, I own a 2010 X Sport with 59k on the clock. Last year the eml started flashing, then loads of white smoke and misfiring. Managed to get home just.

Plugged it in and came up misfire in cylinder 3. So I ordered 4 coil packs from Ford and changed them all.

Everything was fine till last week when the same thing happened. So I unplugged them one by one and came up misfire in cylinder 3.

Right. Reset the eml and code. Started the car again and it said multiple random misfire.

I ordered 4 connectors for the coil packs and rewired them. It's still the same. Now I'm thinking injectors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Number 3 plug is wet and the other 3 are sooty.

I've changed all the plugs and makes no difference

Vince, is it petrol, if so you need to do a compression check as they are known to have a major piston failure problem

3 hours ago, TrevorB said:

Vince, is it petrol, if so you need to do a compression check as they are known to have a major piston failure problem

Hi Trevor, yes mate it's 2.0 Ecoboost. Not looking good then. It's not burning oil, just a strong smell of fuel and the plug is we with petrol not oil.

Would have thought the plug that's wet would be wet with oil if it's a piston problem? Not sure though not a mechanic really.

Got it towed to the local garage.. will keep you posted.

Thanks for the reply

Edited by Shadow1066
Add some more text

Him Vince, sorry, stupid me. I should not have had to ask if it was a petrol engine.

That will be really great news if the spark plug is wet with petrol

Here are a couple of links that are available that give you info re the piston problem. Its worth doing a compression test whilst the spark plugs are out

https://talkford.com/community/topic/231020-20ecoboost-240hp-engine-failure/?hl= piston failure

https://talkford.com/community/topic/387163-20l-ecoboost-engine-fubar/?hl=%2Becoboost+%2Bpiston

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the reply. I will get the garage to do a compression test whilst they have it. They rang today telling me there's fuel coming out the exhaust. I'm leaning towards a fuel injector being stuck open, therefore over fueling. There going to check all injectors and renew all 4. Told em to stick some new plugs in and check all coil packs.

Did notice that when sat in drivers seat and press the start button, (without starting engine). There's a clicking maybe half a dozen times under the passenger side dashboard. Then it stops. I've never noticed it before, not sure if it's related of not

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club