Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight condensation

Bunney112

Hi, is anyone else having issues with condensation on mk4 focus? I have taken into ford dealers and they claim it’s acceptable, so nothing will be done, unsure what to do now!

874086FE-85BB-45A5-B89A-1DA891444F65.jpeg

44C0D973-17EB-4D71-A1FB-8278A6B1FF44.jpeg

First rule of any dealer, "they all do that Sir", and "no, it isn't covered by warranty". My headlights also condensate though not to the same degree, however, my car is a 16 year old Mk2!

Hopefully someone else with a Mk4 will be along soon, and welcome to the forum...

• Like 1

Here is an extract from the owners manual.

Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps
Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:
  • The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
  • A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
  • A water puddle inside the lamp.
  • Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.
If it was only one of the Headlights or it happened every time there was a little rain then there could be a problem, otherwise that will happen when the atmospheric conditions are right and it should clear if the car is being used. My car does that sometimes as well but it does clear and there has never been any streaking, drips or large droplets. 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

First rule of any dealer, "they all do that Sir", and "no, it isn't covered by warranty". My headlights also condensate though not to the same degree, however, my car is a 16 year old Mk2!

Hopefully someone else with a Mk4 will be along soon, and welcome to the forum...

Thanks Stephen 

I had this on a Honda Civic once and the Honda dealer also said "yes, they all do that". In the end I took the units out, dried them out indoors and sealed around the clear front and opaque main sections with sealant, after which they never misted up again.

There is someone on the ST owners club forum who has separated the lens from the light frame to sort out the condensation issue. Though it does involve putting your lights in the oven 

Led lights suffer slightly more as there's less heat generated to evaporate the condensation. Leave the lights switched on during your journeys even when in daylight will help in these moister days/nights. 

• Like 1

I tried that and they didn't do much to be honest, issue came back within days

Park facing south during the day if you can, the sun should dry them out...  Of course the rears will get damp instead though lol.

Thanks for advice everyone, think I’m gonna try another dealer, don’t really want to strip f, bumper and remove lights to dry out, and seal, that’s what the warranty should be for!!!

Lights only take 2 mins each to remove. No need for any stripping. I doubt any dealer will give you a different answer. 

Same thing happened to mine 2016 .. I left it . But then the headlight bulb failed . I had to buy another complete headlight unit. £400+ 

14 minutes ago, Lee Jonno said:

Same thing happened to mine 2016 .. I left it . But then the headlight bulb failed . I had to buy another complete headlight unit. £400+ 

£400? Crikey, that's a bit steep!

Should have tried Ebay...

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm guessing he has adaptive xenon's...not those poverty candles! :wink:

Correct !!

16ED6D9B-DD90-444B-8C7E-B78B7A611FDD.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lee Jonno said:

Correct !!

16ED6D9B-DD90-444B-8C7E-B78B7A611FDD.jpeg

Your missus must have been delighted with that on Valentines day! :laugh: 

• Haha 6

On 1/29/2021 at 9:12 AM, TomsFocus said:

Your missus must have been delighted with that on Valentines day! :laugh: 

Have you seen a complete unit with bulbs anywhere cheaper? 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lee Jonno said:

Have you seen a complete unit with bulbs anywhere cheaper? 🤔

Not brand new , you did right 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club