Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service interval on Mk4 Focus

Docs

Wanted to double check this as I'm sure when I bought the car I looked it up and the service interval was 2 years or 18,000 miles, but I seem to be getting conflicting information, with some places saying 12 months / 12,500 miles. This is for a 1.0 Ecoboost also.

It is 2 years, but the oil Life is unlikely to last that long  so you may need to get an oil change done before then. There is a counter/sensor that tells you when it needs done.

A lot of people get a Convenience Check done at 1 year, which just tops up the fluids and Tyres but extends the breakdown warranty for another year, so it is worth it for that alone.

What year is it? I think any mk4 manufactured between Oct 18 to Jan 19 was down as 12 month servicing and those thereafter 24 months. 

It's 2019, I got it in 2020 when it was within a month of being a year old, it took a good few weeks for it to be ready to pick up since they had to replace a sensor as it was triggering an engine warning light. I'd read online that the service interval was 2 years / 18,000 miles, so didn't really think of it at the time.

I would have hoped that it would have been mentioned if needed to be serviced pretty much immediately, although I probably shouldn't take that for granted at a dealership. Just had a notification through as the service will be due at the end of march, so that's what made me have another check.

I've got a late 2018 mk4 ecoboost and it's 18k miles or 24 months. Just a quick question about the "convenience check" - if I'm right, they don't actually change anything - no oil change, no brake fluid change, no filter change - so what do they do? I think I read that it also costs £149 - that's considerably more than a year's membership of Green Flag or any other breakdown service, so what actually is the benefit of having this convenience check done?

17 hours ago, Tizer said:

It is 2 years, but the Oil Life is unlikely to last that long  so you may need to get an Oil change done before then. There is a counter/sensor that tells you when it needs done.

Is the oil life not just done on a timer, mines going down even during lockdown, looking at my mileage, oil life has drop 25% over 90 miles.

37 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

Is the oil life not just done on a timer, mines going down even during lockdown, looking at my mileage, oil life has drop 25% over 90 miles.

I don't know if any of the 4 engines in the range have sensors or not, but I would expect that there is an algorithm and it would work things out based on how the car has been used and for Diesels, the number of Regenerations as well.

Mine (petrol) hasn't gone down much in lockdown probably because even though I have not been using it much I have been taking the long way round so that the engine has been getting up to full temperature every time.

25% for 90 miles does seem excessive.

The Ford App on my car told me back in October that I needed an oil change, with 6k miles on the clock, the oil life monitor was at 50miles and 56% remaining.

This coincided with the 1st year convenience check (part of my service plan), so I got the oil changed at the same time, cost me £105.

I feel 2 years or 18k miles is too long a gap between services especially with a diesel and will be getting mine done every 9k or 1 year, which ever comes sooner.

My Focus mk2.5 1.6 TDCi has had the oil changed every 6k miles for the last 9 years I have owned it (oil is a lot cheaper on this though and I serviced it myself).

My fiesta mk8 1litre is 2 years, its done about 7k miles roughly I think and my oil life is at 25%, 1st service is due around April and the ford pass app oil life estimate says around July, which I doubt.

I wonder if you can take it in early for a service if the oil life gets to the point of needing a change before service is due, seems a pain having to take it in for an oil change and then a service a few months later.

It's 2 years yes and all depends on how you drive it, under what conditions etc. Mines 2 years old in March and going in for service shortly, not had an oil change and on just shy of 7k miles - Ford Pass App actually tallies perfectly with it being due in March with the milage i've done, I have seen people say though that they've decided to have an oil change every year.

I'll see what it's like when it gets serviced and decide whether or not i'll get an oil change yearly going forward but I doubt it for how far I travel currently, more so with covid and lockdown i'm doing even less milage now.

Mines registered Oct 2019. Was told two years or 18k miles.
My oil life is at 21% , Est.date June 2021

At 15k miles it’s pretty close..

Off OP , what’s this ‘guard mode’ ? 
Can see what it does. Is this to combat theft?

D7669103-E5A0-446A-9D1D-9CA6D5B0A0DC.png

4 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Mines registered Oct 2019. Was told two years or 18k miles.
My oil life is at 21% , Est.date June 2021

At 15k miles it’s pretty close..

Off OP , what’s this ‘guard mode’ ? 
Can see what it does. Is this to combat theft?

D7669103-E5A0-446A-9D1D-9CA6D5B0A0DC.png

Guard mode sends you an alert on your phone everytime one of your car's doors are opened. Probably useful if you plan to leave it unused for a while and want to make sure no-one's got inside but not so useful if you're actively using your car and opening / closing each door 7 or 8 times a day (it generates a lot of alerts!).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mark-UK said:

It's actually done with an algorithm, taking into account your driving profile, engine temperatures, outside temperature, periods of inactivity, motor load etc. - the shorter drives you take, the more faster your oil life will drop. For example, you might get an additional 400 km drive range til your next oil change by taking a long 200 km trip. Been there, calculated in Excel, done that. 🙂

• Like 1

It's a total con.  2 years, 18k?  Except it never is.  I had the conv check at 1 year to get Ford breakdown, which has actually been worth it for the money.  But I'm only able to get to the 2 year because lockdown means I'm not driving much.

7 hours ago, Dark Andy said:

Guard mode sends you an alert on your phone everytime one of your car's doors are opened. Probably useful if you plan to leave it unused for a while and want to make sure no-one's got inside but not so useful if you're actively using your car and opening / closing each door 7 or 8 times a day (it generates a lot of alerts!).

Also ideal if you think your partner is having an affair... 

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, DaveG1975 said:

I have a 2019 focus how do you enable guard mode

Should be an option on your app. I use the app regularly but just got the ‘guard mode’ option yesterday. 

I hear there there is a over the air update for the car did you have to update anything?

No I didn’t update anything since maps and sync update a few months ago. However I do have Auto updates turned on and wifi from the house. 
The app tends to evolve itself . Somehow 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.d8684f9e81daacdce760039fa418b0ad.png

Having queried what you get for £149 earlier, I thought I'd check for myself. It's actually £115 which I suppose isn't that much more than the equivalent 1 year's membership of Green Flag, etc. My problem is that I do about 11-12,000 miles a year (ie. 1000 miles per month) so if I have my regular service at 18,000 miles that's every year and a half - do I get this convenience check done 1 year after my regular service (but only 6 months before the next one) or do I split the difference and get alternate regular service and convenience check every 9,000 miles (which would be approx every 9 months)?

It was worth it for me.  Focus broke down, aa (ford) came, took it straight to the dealers, I didn't have to go.  Dealers had it for 2 weeks.  AA gave me a hire car on the first day, dealer then paid for it til car was fixed.  I drove the hire car to the dealers and got mine.

If I'd have had to rely on a courtesy car, I'd have been screwed, there wasnt one available from dealer until day 10 of the 2 weeks.

Am I right in thinking its every year or (roughly) 12500 miles on the 2.3 ST? 

24 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Am I right in thinking its every year or (roughly) 12500 miles on the 2.3 ST? 

It is indeed. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Old thread revival! 

I’ve had services at 18k, 36k.  now got about 45k miles , it’s in for an oil change is it 12 months/10k miles from 46k ? 

19 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Old thread revival! 

I’ve had services at 18k, 36k.  now got about 45k miles , it’s in for an oil change is it 12 months/10k miles from 46k ? 

18k or 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club