Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta won’t start after fitting new battery

Oli orton

Hi, please help as I’m losing my patience with my car. It’s a 2007 fiesta 1.6 zetec tdci. I had a flat battery after not using it since Xmas and being on lockdown. So I’ve fitted a new battery after mine was dead and old. Went to start it and it wouldn’t turn over. All electrics work, dash lights etc but nothing when as in cranking or fuel pump priming. I’ve replaced the starter motor today which was an absolute b-stard of a job this weather. Replaced the main earth lead and checked all my fuses and relays. 
Ive now thinking my key is not recognising the car to start it.

anyone else had this and if so how do I get it sorted. Getting desperate now.

tia

Oli.

18 minutes ago, Oli orton said:

Hi, please help as I’m losing my patience with my car. It’s a 2007 fiesta 1.6 zetec tdci. I had a flat battery after not using it since Xmas and being on lockdown. So I’ve fitted a new battery after mine was dead and old. Went to start it and it wouldn’t turn over. All electrics work, dash lights etc but nothing when as in cranking or fuel pump priming. I’ve replaced the starter motor today which was an absolute b-stard of a job this weather. Replaced the main earth lead and checked all my fuses and relays. 
Ive now thinking my key is not recognising the car to start it.

anyone else had this and if so how do I get it sorted. Getting desperate now.

tia

Oli.

Have you checked all the fuses . I’m not familiar with your car but most vehicles have main feed fuses also some have individual fuses for the starter circuit . I can understand the battery going dead after standing for a long while , but can’t understand why the starter should become a problem especially now you have changed it . I’m wondering when trying to start the car with a low charge on the old battery before putting in the new battery .  It could have put a high resistance across the starter fuse that made it blow .  Only a suggestion, but worth a look, have a look in your manual to see if it’s identified in the fuse box’s. 

2 hours ago, Robhonda said:

Have you checked all the fuses . I’m not familiar with your car but most vehicles have main feed fuses also some have individual fuses for the starter circuit . I can understand the battery going dead after standing for a long while , but can’t understand why the starter should become a problem especially now you have changed it . I’m wondering when trying to start the car with a low charge on the old battery before putting in the new battery .  It could have put a high resistance across the starter fuse that made it blow .  Only a suggestion, but worth a look, have a look in your manual to see if it’s identified in the fuse box’s. 

yes double checked all fuses now and with a test meter.

im baffled now.

30 minutes ago, Oli orton said:

yes double checked all fuses now and with a test meter.

im baffled now.

Can you get a test meter to the ignition wire on the starter solenoid to see if you are getting power down to the starter. It almost sounds like the immobiliser on the vehicle isn’t allowing to start the car . 
Have you tried locking and giving it time too reset and unlock again 

Flashing red light sounds like the earth to the negative terminal

" It could have put a high resistance across the starter fuse that made it blow." The problem with the internet is people who have no idea, trying to be helpful. This is complete rubbish. It means nothing, makes no sense and is factually entirely incorrect. Flat batteries do not provide enough current so they don't blow fuses, high resistances  reduce current, see Ohm's law, so they don't blow fuses either.

You need to establish some facts.

Is current reaching the starter?

Measure the voltage between the smallest connection on the starter motor and the negative of the battery when attempting a start. If none, it is not the starter that is at fault.

Your immobiliser may be confused. Disconnect the new battery for half an hour, reconnect and retry which is worth a try. Improve your chances by switching on the headlights before reconnecting which damps out spikes from relays which can cause problems. If the car has lost the key memories,  you might find instructions for resetting the system but I suspect you will need professional help.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, i've tried everything possible now. put test meter across the terminals on the starter motor, 12v going to it but not on the switched side.

I have took the plunge and have asked for professional help from my local motor engineers garage, they are collecting the car on Thursday, they seem happy to take the job on after explaining everything to them, such as the problem only occured after getting a flat battery from 2 months standing, jump starting it off my BMW with no success, buying a new battery and it would not start, fitting a new starter motor (what an absolute b*stard of a job that was) still would not start, fitted a new earth cable. went through every conceivable key reset procedure possible but i guess thats just internet drivel as that did not work and i could not find anything official about this through ford.

I'm guessing the garage will ring me around midday Thursday and say i need a new ECU or something like that, or the keys need reprogramming to the ECU and i'll probably not see any change from £500.00. 

I assume hot wiring cars is a thing of the past now.

I have loved this fiesta for the year that Ive owned it, £30 a year tax, 1.6 zetec tdci, use it as my work horse, run around, it only cost me £600 as it had a few dings that i put right during the summer, so come Friday I may be breaking it for parts  if its going to cost anymore than £500 to put right?

• 2 months later...

Update, got the car back from my local garage on Wednesday. Apparently the ecu had to go away to be repaired, the fault was on the immobiliser within the ecu. It cost me £495 which included recovery to the garage by them as the car would not start.

so today after just 5 miles since I got the car back the eml light has come on. The car drives fine but now I’m have a light on which the garage has said this is common. 
taking it back Tuesday for them to turn it off. My worry is it keeps coming on and cause a problem at mot time or if I want to sell the car which I’m very seriously considering as I’ve been offered a 2012 fiesta now. 
Any recommendations for a diy cheap tool to reset these lights or turn them off?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club