Do Not Sell My Personal Information

battery issue ?

mrmetallica

im using the second new battery on my car at the momment as the first new one was oing flat so i bought  second better battery also a bluetooth device to keep an eye on the battery.     i went out to my car friday and it was flat so i got the first new battery out and jump started the car with it went out it started up at the up ok when i wanted to come home.looking at the battery monitor on my phone and it was saying that my battery is very low it has a charging test on the software and it says the battery is charging at 14v is that too high and over charging the battery. im only driving the car twice a week due to the way things are at the moment and not going very far ive done a drainage test but nothing came up all help would be good its starting to drive me mad now. surely the battery should stay charged longer then say a week

12 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

... surely the battery should stay charged longer then say a week

Yes, battery should hold charge longer than a week. It is obviously being drained, despite you believing it not to be. When you say you have tested for 'drainage', exactly how was that achieved? Did you test the voltage of battery prior to one of it's failures?

• Like 1

14.4v is the ideal charging voltage.  Can be slightly higher on Ford's due to SmartCharge but any lower and it won't charge properly.  You need 'excess' voltage from the alternator to top up the battery, wouldn't work if they were both 12v for example.

How short are the journeys you're doing, and are you using heated screens etc?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

it has a charging test on the software and it says the battery is charging at 14v is that too high and over charging the battery.

Just over 14v is normal when the engine is running. Anything less than 12v and you'll struggle to start the engine (even the low 12s isn't ideal).

I personally wouldn't trust the bluetooth device, get a multimeter out and check the battery yourself. Same goes for a parasitic draw (if that's how you tested it), there's no way it will be able to record current draw direct from the battery.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Yes, battery should hold charge longer than a week. It is obviously being drained, despite you believing it not to be. When you say you have tested for 'drainage', exactly how was that achieved? Did you test the voltage of battery prior to one of it's failures?

i used a multimeter disconected the + lead and put meter inthe midle no drain. i didnt test the battery prior no on my phone its been saying its ok nearly 13volts it says it ok now showing 12.37 volts

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

14.4v is the ideal charging voltage.  Can be slightly higher on Ford's due to SmartCharge but any lower and it won't charge properly.  You need 'excess' voltage from the alternator to top up the battery, wouldn't work if they were both 12v for example.

How short are the journeys you're doing, and are you using heated screens etc?

shopping about 5 miles to my daughters about 10 miles i do use heated screens

Just now, mrmetallica said:

shopping about 5 miles to my daughters about 10 miles

That should be easily enough to top up after a cold start then.  Thought you were going to say a mile or two lol.  

Looks like you have got a drain somewhere then.  

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That should be easily enough to top up after a cold start then.  Thought you were going to say a mile or two lol.  

Looks like you have got a drain somewhere then.  

sorry shopping is about 3 miles there and back my daughters is 12 miles there and back

34 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

shopping about 5 miles to my daughters about 10 miles i do use heated screens

Heated screen may be loading your alternator during these short trips, so try to use it as less as possible. Also ambient air temperature influences battery voltage reading, here's a State of Charge file, check for yourself.

SoC.pdf

• Like 2

On a cold morning my plug in gizmo reads 15v once the car is started up from 11.8v to 11.5 prior to starting depending on how long its stood. It then drops to 14.9/8 during my trip to work.

When I switch the engine off ( not the ignition) it reads 12.8v but starts to drop instantly 12.7/6/5 and so on. I presume that's the way it puts back what little charge if any it is putting back into the battery

what is the symbol on the meter that you have to put it on for drain so i can make sure im doing it right

Just set it to amps. I imagine yours isn't an automatic adjustment type which sets automatically adjusts the current scale. Put it it on a range of around 200mA and if it reads 0, move the scale down to 20mA etc. If you set the multimeter to 20A then the parasitic draw will be so small, it will read it as 0.

It's like you wouldn't use a meter ruler to accurately measure the diameter of a pea.

Likewise you wouldn't use a 6-inch ruler to measure the length of a football pitch.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

what is the symbol on the meter that you have to put it on for drain so i can make sure im doing it right

Symbol on the Digital MulitiMmeter  selector switch is A. Also make sure you plug the leads on the DMM properly, black to COM and red to A plug. It takes approx. 15 mins for the PCM to go to sleep mode so you can measure if there's drain or not (all over 0,25 - 0,3 A). Also make sure DMM fuses for current measurement are not burned, cause if they are you measure 0A.

4 hours ago, Ned_Mk2_1.8tdci said:

Symbol on the Digital MulitiMmeter  selector switch is A. Also make sure you plug the leads on the DMM properly, black to COM and red to A plug. It takes approx. 15 mins for the PCM to go to sleep mode so you can measure if there's drain or not (all over 0,25 - 0,3 A). Also make sure DMM fuses for current measurement are not burned, cause if they are you measure 0A.

when battery is disconected isnt the car off or does it awaken when you connect the meter ?

thats what ive been putting it on will do what you say see how it goes

the car started ok this morning

2 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

when battery is disconected isnt the car off or does it awaken when you connect the meter ?

Yes it probably will 'wake' some stuff up. Connect the multimeter to the battery before switching everything off, locking the doors and leaving it for 15 minutes etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

Yes it probably will 'wake' some stuff up. Connect the multimeter to the battery before switching everything off, locking the doors and leaving it for 15 minutes etc.

ok will give it 15 see how it goes i need my car due to arthritis in my hips so im hoping to sort it out

• 1 month later...

im still having problems charged the battery monday and today wednesday its flat.

done a drain test not showing any signs of drain the multi meter shows 0  so im lost at what it is

17 minutes ago, mrmetallica said:

im still having problems charged the battery monday and today wednesday its flat.

done a drain test not showing any signs of drain the multi meter shows 0  so im lost at what it is

Hate to point out the bleedin' obvious. but if your battery on Monday was fully charged to 13v+. then 48 hours later it won't start the car, it is draining somewhere despite the 'result' of your drain test.  I would do your 'drain' test again, and if you are still getting nothing, be prepared to pony up for a professional auto spark (not a Ford dealer), who should get to the bottom of it pretty soon...

The multi-meter shouldn't show zero unless the battery is completely disconnected.

It should record something even without a "bad" drain as the car is always using a tiny bit of power when stationary.

• Like 2

If your meter is showing 0 and you've tried all the different scales on the amps setting, then it's likely the internal fuse in the multimeter has blown.

Fortunately you handily have a multimeter at hand to test the fuse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrmetallica said:

0 what? Tell us exactly what meter you are using, how you have connected it and what range you have it set to. It could always be something intermittent, like leaving the radio on and it's permanently connected to live, or something similar which only happens depending on how you switch off and leave the car perhaps?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Waggy said:

0 what? Tell us exactly what meter you are using, how you have connected it and what range you have it set to. It could always be something intermittent, like leaving the radio on and it's permanently connected to live, or something similar which only happens depending on how you switch off and leave the car perhaps?

iconnect the positive lead from multimeter to the + battery lead and the - lead to the + terminal set it on amps set to 200ma and the down to 20ma and all it reads is o

as in pic i hope im doing it right ?

meter.thumb.jpg.08bf1c8f91e0138d9c9b77bfc875f7bb.jpg

52 minutes ago, Waggy said:

iconnect the positive lead from multimeter to the + battery lead and the - lead to the + terminal set it on amps set to 200ma and the down to 20ma and all it reads is o

as in pic i hope im doing it right ?

meter.thumb.jpg.08bf1c8f91e0138d9c9b77bfc875f7bb.jpg

At a quick glance, shouldn't the red lead be plugged into the other side?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club