Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 Fiesta dash cam hard wiring

Hi all, this might be a daft one to some but has anyone here hard wired a dash cam in and if so which fuse did you piggyback? On my old Scirocco the fusebox was inside a panel of the outer edge of the dash and I was able to find the cigarette lighter fuse which was ignition only so piggybacked that.

Unfortunately according to the manual the fuse box behind the glove box while having a multitude of fuses inside, doesn't house the cigarette lighter feed, this is in the engine bay.

Obviously I could just find a fuse that's only live with the ignition but I don't really want to upset the CANBus system. Thanks in advance.

I think the moon roof and climate control are both ignition live. Do you have a multimeter so you can check?

16 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I think the moon roof and climate control are both ignition live. Do you have a multimeter so you can check?

I do! Just wasn't sure if it would upset the CANBus system, when I piggybacked the cigarette lighter I didn't really worry about it affecting it as I never used it. Will give it a check.

I don't have the moonroof so will be interesting to see if it's still fused, if so I'll pinch that one.

I checked the MK4 Focus fusebox layout for another thread earlier...seems very randomly selected, weird internal things in the engine bay as you say!

Personally I'd make sure it's something that you don't mind losing if the fuse popped.  I wouldn't do the climate panel personally.  

Rear wiper is a potential...

• Like 1

The fuse you need behind the glovebox is number 3 and you will need a micro 2 fuse holder to complete the job. Been there and done it.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I checked the MK4 Focus fusebox layout for another thread earlier...seems very randomly selected, weird internal things in the engine bay as you say!

Personally I'd make sure it's something that you don't mind losing if the fuse popped.  I wouldn't do the climate panel personally.  

Rear wiper is a potential...

I suggested the climate panel because I didn't think it would effect the CANbus system, isn't it highly unlikely for that fuse to blow though? If you wire it correctly and the cam does cause a surge then it's own fuse would blow and the climate *should* be ok 🤷‍♂️ can I ask why you would t go that way, if there is a something I'm unaware of then I'd like to learn 👍

I think the rear wiper fuse is also in the engine bay, I couldn't see it when I looked. It's really odd that they have put the 'simple' fuses in the engine bay, do you think it's intentional to stop people tapping off?

5 hours ago, Peejay1977 said:

I do! Just wasn't sure if it would upset the CANBus system, when I piggybacked the cigarette lighter I didn't really worry about it affecting it as I never used it. Will give it a check.

I don't have the moonroof so will be interesting to see if it's still fused, if so I'll pinch that one.

I understand what you're saying now 👍

The choice is very limiting isn't it 😕

@TomsFocus what would you pick from the available fuses on the chart below? I'd keep my fingers crossed that one of the spares was live lol

image.png

might get some idea from how the ford cam is wired supplied with own fuses copy of instructions and thread here:

I just watched a video on YouTube and the guy used fuse 3 as his switched live, it's the Park Assist fuse. 

I've also studied the OEM camera, just out of curiosity, and see that they wire directly into the fuse box into what looks like the harness plugs. And I have to say that if it was my car is be doing it the same way, it looked so easy.

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I suggested the climate panel because I didn't think it would effect the CANbus system, isn't it highly unlikely for that fuse to blow though? If you wire it correctly and the cam does cause a surge then it's own fuse would blow and the climate *should* be ok 🤷‍♂️ can I ask why you would t go that way, if there is a something I'm unaware of then I'd like to learn 👍

I think the rear wiper fuse is also in the engine bay, I couldn't see it when I looked. It's really odd that they have put the 'simple' fuses in the engine bay, do you think it's intentional to stop people tapping off?

I just don't like disturbing anything like that unnecessarily.  The camera fuse should blow first if there's a problem with it, as long as the tap is the right way...but there is also the potential of a cheap fuse tap breaking for example, or even the fuse that you pull out getting weakened and breaking in the future.  I've pulled a couple of fuses on 'newer' cars where the legs have cracked or snapped off.  Not sure if modern fuses are rubbish or if fuseboxes are being made tighter to reduce the chances of arcing near flammable carpets etc. 

I can't understand why they've moved the fuses there at all...it must create more wiring, more cost and more weight! :unsure:  I have wondered if they've kept fuses to a minimum inside for fire safety regs and to keep the fusebox cooler (with airflow through the bay) but does seem very odd.  I don't think they'd try to stop people tapping...especially when they sell their own dashcam fitting services lol.

9 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

@TomsFocus what would you pick from the available fuses on the chart below? I'd keep my fingers crossed that one of the spares was live lol

image.png

Blimey, that's in interesting choice!  :laugh:  As you say, hope an empty one is live, or use the moonroof or park assist if not fitted.  At a push I'd probably go for the audio unit.

• 1 month later...

Update on this, only just got round to it, used fuse 3 as described, had to order a micro 2 fuse tap as I only had big and mini type. Hardest part of the installation was getting those 2 stupid useless black and yellow clips to hold the little flap of carpet in place. What utterly useless items they are, replaced them for some velcro pads instead. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club