Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shuddering and unable to move gear stick problem when stopped

bw65587

Hopefully someone may be able to give me some advice or an opinion on something strange which has happened to me the last two times that I have driven my Daughter's 2019 Ford Fiesta.  It was only purchased in October from a Ford dealer and has hardly been used since then by her or myself.

When pulling up at a red light, I put the car into 1st gear and keep my left foot on the clutch, right foot on the brake ready to go when the lights change.  On two occasions now, whilst waiting for the light to change, the car starts quietly shuddering before getting louder.  At this point, you cannot move the gear stick out of 1st gear and the shuddering gets more violent.  You have to switch off the ignition to stop it and restart the car to correct it.

What on earth is that all about?  Any ideas what could be wrong?  The car's brakes were checked by the Ford dealer recently and the first time it did this to me was on the journey back home.  It's hardly moved since then but it's just done it again to me now.  I'd not driven the car much prior to it's brakes being checked so it's hard to say if the brake check has caused this issue to arise.

Any thoughts/advice/opinions would be welcomed!

Many thanks!

Hello mate, have you tried putting the handbrake on and seeing if it still judders without your foot on the brake? If it still does it then its got too be something clutch/gearbox related I would have thought. 

No, I haven’t tried doing that. I’ll try it next time it happens. Thanks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bw65587 said:

No, I haven’t tried doing that. I’ll try it next time it happens. Thanks!

No worries, let us know what happens 👍🏻

Just been out in the car again for a short run.  Did it numerous times.  In fact, every time I think.  Made no difference taking foot off brake and applying hand brake.  Also noticed a warning message pop up at one point whilst driving which said something like 'Brake applied, power reduced'.  I've just booked it in to go back to the Ford dealer next Tuesday for investigation.  Will keep you posted.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, bw65587 said:

Just been out in the car again for a short run.  Did it numerous times.  In fact, every time I think.  Made no difference taking foot off brake and applying hand brake.  Also noticed a warning message pop up at one point whilst driving which said something like 'Brake applied, power reduced'.  I've just booked it in to go back to the Ford dealer next Tuesday for investigation.  Will keep you posted.

That's very strange, hope you get it all sorted mate 👍🏻

Just been looking at the owner's manual and found this on a Ford website regarding the warning message I saw earlier:
"Displays if you have not released the parking brake and the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5 km/h).   If the warning message remains on after you have released the parking brake, the system has detected a fault that requires service. Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible."

I've also read messages from some owners who say the message can appear if you catch the brake pedal whilst also accelerating with big shoes on!

I have no idea if our issue is related to this or not but I'll mention it to the dealer on Tuesday.  I have noticed though that the handbrake once released does seem to still have some 'spring' in it.  I mean it doesn't go all the way to the 'floor'.  You can push it down and it springs up a little.  No idea if this is normal for a Fiesta or not!  Something else to tell them.

3 minutes ago, bw65587 said:

Just been looking at the owner's manual and found this on a Ford website regarding the warning message I saw earlier:
"Displays if you have not released the parking brake and the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5 km/h).   If the warning message remains on after you have released the parking brake, the system has detected a fault that requires service. Have your vehicle checked as soon as possible."

I've also read messages from some owners who say the message can appear if you catch the brake pedal whilst also accelerating with big shoes on!

I have no idea if our issue is related to this or not but I'll mention it to the dealer on Tuesday.  I have noticed though that the handbrake once released does seem to still have some 'spring' in it.  I mean it doesn't go all the way to the 'floor'.  You can push it down and it springs up a little.  No idea if this is normal for a Fiesta or not!  Something else to tell them.

Maybe your brakes are sticking or a seized caliper? Is there excessive dust on any wheel more than others? I have a mk6 fiesta so it's not got all the computer warnings so I can't say for sure what your problem is. 

I'll let you know next week what the dealer says.  Thanks for the input/interest!

5 minutes ago, bw65587 said:

I'll let you know next week what the dealer says.  Thanks for the input/interest!

Hope it's something cheap and easy too fix mate 👍🏻

Is it always when you're holding the clutch down?  It sounds like clutch drag...  But on a 2019 car I'd hope not. :unsure:

Not sure if the issue I had might be similar

Had a MK8 Fiesta and noticed when the car was coming to a stop there would be a shuddering noise just as it was starting to get to a complete standstill.

what I also noticed is that while driving there was a sort of wooing noise, sort of like a tyre was rubbing against something while spinning but very faint.

Took it to ford and it turned out it needed a whole new gear box, which was very surprising considering it was a MK8 and I think only around 1.5 years old at the time... 

Your general driver would probably not have noticed it, until it completely broke on them mid drive. Asked how much it would have been to fix had its warranty expired and it was over £1000, needless to say I sold the car last July when it did expire as firstly a gear box should not need a complete replacement on a 1.5 year old car and other little niggles id noticed. (well.. 1 month after it expired, and within that month the B&O Speakers completely broke..)

Anyway its good you have it booked in, make use of that 3 year warranty for literally anything while you can!

5 minutes ago, FezMan said:

Not sure if the issue I had might be similar

Had a MK8 Fiesta and noticed when the car was coming to a stop there would be a shuddering noise just as it was starting to get to a complete standstill.

what I also noticed is that while driving there was a sort of wooing noise, sort of like a tyre was rubbing against something while spinning but very faint.

Took it to ford and it turned out it needed a whole new gear box, which was very surprising considering it was a MK8 and I think only around 1.5 years old at the time... 

Your general driver would probably not have noticed it, until it completely broke on them mid drive. Asked how much it would have been to fix had its warranty expired and it was over £1000, needless to say I sold the car last July when it did expire (well.. 1 month after it expired, and within that month the B&O speakers completely broke..)

Anyway its good you have it booked in, make use of that 3 year warranty for literally anything while you can!

I know this has got nothing to do with the OP but when I'm driving around 40mph in 3rd especially, there is a whooping sound that goes up and down with revs but fades of below 2k rpm. Is that what you had? 

1 minute ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

I know this has got nothing to do with the OP but when I'm driving around 40mph in 3rd especially, there is a whooping sound that goes up and down with revs but fades of below 2k rpm. Is that what you had? 

From what I remember it was at higher speeds that it was more noticeable, but by higher speeds Im still talking about your general 30/40mph.

it was sort of just a constant 'whoooooo' noise. Again like how as a kid you'd put a plastic bottle between your wheel and break on your bike to make it sound like a motorbike, but less aggressive sounding than that, and would have probably been unnoticeable to somebody who didn't drive the car daily 

1 minute ago, FezMan said:

From what I remember it was at higher speeds that it was more noticeable, but by higher speeds Im still talking about your general 30/40mph.

it was sort of just a constant 'whoooooo' noise. Again like how as a kid you'd put a plastic bottle between your wheel and break on your bike to make it sound like a motorbike, but less aggressive sounding than that, and would have probably been unnoticeable to somebody who didn't drive the car daily 

Oh right mine is like a whoop whoop whoop sound. Very strange. Hope my gearbox doesn't need changing. Just refreshed the oil and everything 😂😭

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back only yesterday (Saturday) after the car went in on Tuesday.  The dealer did tell me it was fixed on Tuesday only for me to find out when collecting it that day that it was doing exactly the same thing as when I'd dropped it off!  Apparently they'd discovered an oil leak somewhere and fixed that and then not bothered to follow my instructions on how to create the issue to check they had resolved it.  After giving them a piece of my mind and asking to speak to the manager, I was promised better service.

Their master technician was assigned the job and he decided it needed a new master clutch cylinder.  They think it was just a poor part originally fitted at manufacture.  Seems to have fixed it so far but will see this week.  I can't replicate the fault now which is promising!

Thanks for the posts on it.

• Confused 1

• 2 years later...

Any update on your car? My 2015 fiesta 1l is doing the exact same and has already had the clutch replaced a month ago.