Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Saarlouis Factory closed

Andyr55

Very disheartening that my (and other) Ford dealers are not aware that the German factory making the Focus is closed due the chip shortages. 

similar to the exhaust issue, Ford do not share with the dealer network any issues. 

• Sad 2

not only ford. audi, vw , think toyota in japan was mentioned also. been in the press for 2 weeks or more. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

not only ford. audi, vw , think toyota in japan was mentioned also. been in the press for 2 weeks or more. 

Yes, lots of coverage in the financial pages of the mainstream press. Seems car makers are scrabbling to compete with other technology companies (mobiles, computers etc) for finite supplies of chips. Is there any wonder us oldies are nostalgic for the days when a car was a relatively simple mechanical device!

Still seem to be good supplies of proper chips, and mushy peas, on sale in the shops though!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I was watching a documentary on the Wolfsburg VW factory in Germany over the weekend.  It's so big they make their own food there for the staff, thousands and thousands of sausages!!  Can't say I saw any chips or peas though... :biggrin:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's so big they make their own food there for the staff, thousands and thousands of sausages!

I just love those German sausages. A place we have stayed a couple of times in Northumberland has a German themed cafe opposite. Don't see the connection but they do lovely bratwurst. Not good for the waistline though!😃

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Seems car makers are scrabbling to compete with other technology companies (mobiles, computers etc) for finite supplies of chips.

And where are all these chips being manufactured? Who has a stranglehold on carmakers and technology companies I wonder?

Could it be the chinese by any chance?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mjt said:

And where are all these chips being manufactured? Who has a stranglehold on carmakers and technology companies I wonder?

Could it be the chinese by any chance?

Seen various articles on this and it seems a very complicated story. On the one hand it seems semiconductor manufacture was scaled down on the assumption that the industries which consume them would cut production due to coronavirus. But it seems many sectors have bounced back quicker than anticipated.

Then demand overall seems to be shooting up, and there are applications I'd never even dreamed of. Apparently there is vast demand to produce devices used in "mining" bitcoins, which need tremendous computing capacity.

Chinese supply does seem to have been hit by US sanctions against Huawei and the like, but other producers in SE Asia have also been hit, I've seen reports of a fire at a Japanese chip plant, Samsung losing production in S Korea for various reasons including coronavirus lockdowns which have affected others also, a strike at a chip plant in France, etc, etc.

It does seem that we are very dependent on components the supply of which is far from secure and to a large extent we have little or no control over.

• Like 2

Japanese had a chip pan fire?

Chip plant in france, "ferme de pommes de Terre"

• Haha 2

The world seems short on a lot of things atm. I’ve been waiting about a month for something to ship from China, but no containers spare and no room for ships to dock in the UK!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

The world seems short on a lot of things atm. I’ve been waiting about a month for something to ship from China, but no containers spare and no room for ships to dock in the UK!

Yes, bit off topic but similar theme, there's obviously some imbalance in freight flows at the moment. I live quite near the ECML and always take an interest in what's going on. On 3 occasions recently I've seen a convoy of  Freightliner locomotives being towed. They are far too new to be needing heavy repairs or being scrapped, so it made me think there must be a lot of unbalanced freight workings and they were being repositioned. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

I mentioned on another thread that almost everything I've tried to buy recently seems to be out of stock!  Interestingly, I've just had confirmation that my new laptop has been built and shipped (I wasn't aware they weren't pre-built!)...so that's one less microchip available. :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I mentioned on another thread that almost everything I've tried to buy recently seems to be out of stock!  Interestingly, I've just had confirmation that my new laptop has been built and shipped (I wasn't aware they weren't pre-built!)...so that's one less microchip available. :laugh: 

Why is it when choosing my favourite order option in colour and size everyone in the world also wants and beats me to it👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

When will new Ford Focus start arriving in the Uk after factory reopens? 

any guesstimates? 

1 hour ago, Andyr55 said:

When will new Ford Focus start arriving in the Uk after factory reopens? 

Ford say that Saarlouis will be on a short working time for 11 of their work days til end of March so even more chance of things getting backed up. They should be prioritizing customer orders over all others but I would guess a minimum of 22nd March for delivery to dealers here and more likely mid to end of April if you have an order in the system.

Ridiculous that with everything else going on Ford were too lazy to stockpile chips... and they were the only one. The other car makers might still be running into problems but at least they had the foresight to stockpile to some extent.

45 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Ford say that Saarlouis will be on a short working time for 11 of their work days til end of March so even more chance of things getting backed up. They should be prioritizing customer orders over all others but I would guess a minimum of 22nd March for delivery to dealers here and more likely mid to end of April if you have an order in the system.

Where did you find that info?  I'll have to cancel mine and look for an alternative if it's not here before April.

We are bursting at the seams at work with all the vehicles being delivered here. 

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Where did you find that info?  I'll have to cancel mine and look for an alternative if it's not here before April.

If delivery date is put way back from what you were told when ordering are they obliged to arrange a hire car for you? In the meantime? 

"The bottleneck on the semiconductor market continues to burden the Ford plant in Saarlouis. Due to a lack of electronic parts, the company has agreed to additional short-time working days. Ford in Saarlouis has set additional short-time working days on February 22nd and for ten days in March due to a lack of electronics, the works council said."

Reported on Feb 10th. Don't remember the website.

@TomsFocus Have you talked to your dealer about when your car will be delivered?

• Thanks 1

I ordered my new titanium mild hybrid on 24 January.

my dealer advised ( pinch of salt) that they had piggyback my spec into an existing order so hopefully I won’t have to wait toooooooooo long for delivery. 

12 hours ago, Alex.S said:

If delivery date is put way back from what you were told when ordering are they obliged to arrange a hire car for you? In the meantime? 

I doubt it as it's not actually mine until it's been delivered and paperwork signed.  Would also be difficult to get a hire car that's suitable for me considering all the trouble I've had finding a car to buy lol.

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

"The bottleneck on the semiconductor market continues to burden the Ford plant in Saarlouis. Due to a lack of electronic parts, the company has agreed to additional short-time working days. Ford in Saarlouis has set additional short-time working days on February 22nd and for ten days in March due to a lack of electronics, the works council said."

Reported on Feb 10th. Don't remember the website.

@TomsFocus Have you talked to your dealer about when your car will be delivered?

Ok thanks.  Would've been interesting to see the source of that quote.  I don't understand why Ford are so secretive about it.  They could put a simple line on their website updating customers about delays. 

My salesman is away until the end of Feb (unless that's a convenient coincidence!) so I've just go to wait until he's back at the moment.

55 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

I ordered my new titanium mild hybrid on 24 January.

my dealer advised ( pinch of salt) that they had piggyback my spec into an existing order so hopefully I won’t have to wait toooooooooo long for delivery. 

Ordered mine on Jan 7th...if you get yours first I'll be upset! :tongue:   Was also already on order though...  Annoyingly there aren't any built with the right engine otherwise I could've swapped for a showroom model.

It’s the additional spec ( everything!!) that might cause delays for me! I do like a gadget!!😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

It’s the additional spec ( everything!!) that might cause delays for me! I do like a gadget!!😉

Why go for the Titanium if you wanted spec?  No need to spec any extras on mine! :tongue: 

• Like 1

Convenience pack

assistance pack

b&o sound system

BLIS

privacy windows

wasn’t aware any models came with as standard?

30 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Convenience pack

assistance pack

b&o sound system

BLIS

privacy windows

wasn’t aware any models came with as standard?

Vignale 

Vignale and Active X Vignale comes with all of that except BLIS and active cruise*.  Plus full leathers, adaptive LEDs, independent rear suspension, heated steering wheel, HUD, pan roof, better styling and of course...the load through ski hatch! :wink:

(*Active cruise is part of driver assist pack, but Vig already has auto high beam and the TSR can be activated with Forscan so just the cruise missing)

Titanium X would have got the privacy glass as standard, plus better looking alloys and part leather seats.

While I would have liked BLIS on mine, I just couldn't justify £400 for a little LED in the mirror lol! :sad:

Edit - I've just 'built' both a Titanium and a Vignale to your spec.  The Vignale is nearly £3k more RRP (Inc £925 BLIS & DA pack) so looks like you made the right choice if you didn't want the other Vignale extras. :smile:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club