Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Saarlouis Factory closed

Andyr55

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Yeah heard about the Vignale . The cylinder deactivation , I’ve had mine 18months I’ve never noticed it deactivating. But the difference in mpg between motorway and urban is so different I’d say it’s working well. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah most people seem to have no problems with CD it or even notice it, so hopefully it is well engineered, unlike with previous Hondas etc. I'm probably being too fussy about it... first time I've bought a new car...

I'm thinking of long-term reliability though... would like to keep it for 12+ years and I wonder if there's a problem of oil droplets being drawn past the piston rings due to the vacuum 'pneumatic/air spring' effect within the deactivated cylinder. Also the potential problem of the hydraulic oil valve actuator system (connected to the cylinder deactivation solenoid which sits on top of the engine with an electric plug) wearing out. I wonder if this could lead to weird engine stresses or vibrations in the long term.

I'll be amazed if many cars built in 2020 are still on the road in 12 years time.  The reduction in build and material quality is so noticeable compared to cars built 10 years ago.  They're just not built to last anymore.

VW and Audi have been using CoD for nearly 10 years without any major issues as far as I'm aware.  The system is slightly different on Ford's though so only time will tell I guess.  I am also slightly worried about it after reading about the vibration issues a few times but realistically there have been so few posts that it must only be a small minority of cars...hopefully!

Yes, would be a shame if the otherwise brilliant Focus and cars of this generation are being designed to just last past the warranty period, because "EVs are just around the corner anyway".

That's reassuring VW and Audi seem to have got CD right - it's a good tech in principle. Hopefully the Focus's version of the CD valve actuator is cheaply serviceable in the future - or at least there's a fail-safe built in, so that if it fails it just reverts to full-time 3 cylinders (or can be converted by a software update).

• Like 2

On 3/19/2021 at 11:05 AM, TomsFocus said:

Just had confirmation that it'll arrive at the dealership on Monday, be prepared Tuesday, and delivered to me (7 miles) on Weds morning! :biggrin:

My build was 18th. Left factory now in transit. Hopefully arrive in couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

My build was 18th. Left factory now in transit. Hopefully arrive in couple of weeks. 

Woop! :biggrin: 

Any confirmed news on Vignale being dropped? Will be sad to see that spec level go, I’d already planned that a 2021/2022 Vignale would replace my TitX once finance is up in a couple of years 😄

9 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

Must have been a big transit😂😂😂

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, iantt said:

Must have been a big transit😂😂😂

Or a collision in the car park... :ermm: :biggrin:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Or a collision in the car park... :ermm: :biggrin:

noooooo don’t go there,!

pristine arrival required😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

noooooo don’t go there,!

pristine arrival required😉

good luck with that, not that you  will know if any damage has occoured at some point before handover. 😅😅

Good news...mine arrived this morning!  :biggrin: 

Thought there was a scrape across one of the alloys...but it turned out to be rubber from the tyre fitting. :laugh: 

Tyres were over-inflated considerably (12psi over all round) so have dropped those and given it a wipe over outside and sanitized the inside. 

Just changed insurance...premium is now just £150 for the year!! :laugh: 

I've set up the Sync, wifi and driver aids etc.  Just have one Sync question but will start another thread for that.

Hopefully not much longer for the rest of to wait now!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Thought there was a scrape across one of the alloys...but it turned out to be rubber from the tyre fitting. :laugh: 

Tyres were over-inflated considerably (12psi over all round) so have dropped those and given it a wipe over outside and sanitized the inside. 

I've set up the Sync, wifi and driver aids etc.  Just have one Sync question but will start another thread for that.

The tyres are deliberately overinflated for transport, the dealer is supposed to drop them to the correct pressure as part of the PDI 🙄

Might want to check the suspension chocks have been removed too as that's a favourite for them to forget, although I'd imagine you'd have noticed on that spec.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The tyres are deliberately overinflated for transport, the dealer is supposed to drop them to the correct pressure as part of the PDI 🙄

Might want to check the suspension chocks have been removed too as that's a favourite for them to forget, although I'd imagine you'd have noticed on that spec.

What do the chocks look like?  Do they fit in between the springs to stop bounce? 

In fairness, they've done all they could to get the car PDI'd and out to me asap.  I noticed the tyre pressures on the FordPass app before even getting the car! :laugh: 

Also glad I got the 2020 boot foam version with a section to perfectly fit a packet of antibac wipes! :wink: 

8nf3ql56UgEdjqonc45gK5k85cBDrTAZzZLZ4kRbe40L-C5oqRKbINe1GR66vyL--92lx8_JQx1USO_xbNcM-CeCyjy2yNw896JWAbvUJGo3W9CIj3Va4gG4omkMq-EDg6ZlS1-hoyPij29QlEet_YeE0F62bwEzlXEFW2wrUhXreC884RnVvqaULyq6EboB_uLxK__QmDhDpGxVSbrGCDDhV3jKnuMIDtukDlOJ9GVUrN5vMQcNcU8Kh9vbc2NufSDlSf7KW7CTjnnyVmO2CkyP_WhdkAsL_giMp6utz2Vv9wGQ2eOUUsLHbtib46A08YPK7DW3rmEvSWzsUpR8v8hjpcUwd3gQU7YsTfU1DBoLCxGosbHwPNNYxh25rhWn0vOUR4kyGpt4Ae5_TlkJXaK-SzoD5mKMy6AlD3TmGtw9gsaiFLwuxMJlUlaol6JQZn49v-v8ZpvKseH7AtNfR5C3rkLLBOouk-8Csinjt6EwmS4Yk3mFVdFh8Z4onG_SBdSeh4P5TpilydrozFxmJGWjL97R4GqiqCK8qiKkLT_-19HamtbOZNlPfRASeqkAzD1-u7aSzETKYB2kgIk5wXjs-0vER2OV9CuzAUQ5Mbx7J1u1kWuvkJXT5_IlANHPUV9uzGXlsuYz328ZnlfsPWDAZvKPkSZlnBZWtdIqt-ijEVlsG8431_MHeKr-jtyhJJVMLM8TCpTD5g6cr1slaZFb=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

What do the chocks look like?  Do they fit in between the springs to stop bounce? 

In fairness, they've done all they could to get the car PDI'd and out to me asap.  I noticed the tyre pressures on the FordPass app before even getting the car! :laugh: 

No chocks of fords anymore. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iantt said:

No chocks of fords anymore. 

Probably because some dealers kept forgetting to take them off. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Mine has arrived Flushing ferry port!

it’s on route, 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Probably because some dealers kept forgetting to take them off. 😅

I remember many years ago the Austin rover garage I worked for sold an mg maestro that 12 months later came in for service and I noticed the wooden chocks were  still imbedded on the front struts/ springs. . Took them out , did service and car was handed back to customer. 

The customer complained like hell . Not because the chocks hadn't been taken out at PDI but the suspension had gone soft on him since service and wanted them put back in. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

Mine has arrived Flushing ferry port!

Ooh. :smile: Nice. ...how can you tell, btw? Mine is the same build date as yours so hmm... 🤞

On 3/22/2021 at 10:52 PM, karlbbb said:

Any confirmed news on Vignale being dropped?

I found this article from the Netherlands:
https://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/artikel/ford-focus-niet-meer-als-vignale

Here is the translation of the full article (or put the address in at translate.google.com)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/artikel/ford-focus-niet-meer-als-vignale/

An excerpt:

The Ford Focus is no longer available as a lavishly decked Vignale from mid-April. AutoWeek can report this exclusively. The Focus news is not finished with that, as there are also changes for the 1.0 Ecoboost and 1.5 Ecoboost petrol engines.

Cylinder shutdown
...The 100 hp and 125 hp 1.0 Ecoboost are, just like the 150 hp 1.5 Ecoboost, equipped with cylinder deactivation, but not for long. The 1.0s and 1.5 Ecoboost will remain available in the Focus, but from now on without cylinder deactivation. According to the Dutch importer, this has to do with streamlining the range. These machines turned out to deliver less CO2 reduction in the WLTP method than previously during the NEDC measurement methods.

It's not clear to me if this info and the April date only apply to the Netherlands, but the cylinder deactivation part seems to be referring to all Focus 3-cylinder engines! (and therefore maybe the Fiesta and Puma too)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Anubis said:

Ooh. :smile: Nice. ...how can you tell, btw? Mine is the same build date as yours so hmm... 🤞

I needed to speak to the sales manager about PX values as my sales exec ( admin clerk) was not very user friendly.  So I asked him where the car was. 

despite asking the sales admin to keep me updated it’s hard work. I obtained the build date from ETIS. 

good job it’s unlikely I will need to ask any technical questions on pick up as I don’t think he will have a clue. As tomsfocus said a while back it’s like these ‘sales’ guys are sitting with their hand up to ask the sales manager for permission to use the loo!

we shall see!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zeeb said:

I found this article from the Netherlands:
https://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/artikel/ford-focus-niet-meer-als-vignale

Here is the translation of the full article (or put the address in at translate.google.com)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.autoweek.nl/autonieuws/artikel/ford-focus-niet-meer-als-vignale/

An excerpt:

It's not clear to me if this info and the April date only apply to the Netherlands, but the cylinder deactivation part seems to be referring to all Focus 3-cylinder engines! (and therefore maybe the Fiesta and Puma too)

The Vignale trim level is also removed from the German Ford website and configurator.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The Vignale trim level is also removed from the German Ford website and configurator.

But not the UK one (yet?)

The UK build configurator still shows chrome blue as a Vignale option I think?  That was stopped last year...I tried to order it end of Dec. :rolleyes:

Edit - Nope, just checked, it's been removed within the last few weeks.  But the Vignale trims are both still there.

Do you have the Active models in Germany & The Netherlands?  If so, is the Active Vignale also getting chopped?